GI told me Nitro will not relieve symptoms? huh?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

GI told me Nitro will not relieve symptoms? huh?

Postby seawalker » 30 Jun 2011, 14:37

Hello all, new here. I'm 31 years old and have been dealing with pelvic floor spasms and pain for a year now, and hence all of the straining has led to 2 small fissures. My GI confirmed today at my appointment. I have had the stinging pain for a couple of weeks but yesterday the sphincter spasms started. OMG! so painful I want to run to the ER. Luckily I had some nitro 0.2% on hand that was prescribed for the pelvic floor spasms. I tried a half of a pee size dab into the anoderm twice last night. no relief. This morning before my bowel movement I tried it again twice. Nothing. No headache no big change in blood pressure as I checked it before and after I applied the nitro. No pain relief. So I told all of this to my GI docs (a fellow and also her attending) and was told that Nitro will not relieve "the pain" from the spasm. I told him I didnt even feel like the clenching of the sphincter loosned really. Anyway, this seems to contradict what I have read here and elswhere, that it should bring immediate relief of the pain from the spasm. I'm confused. Is he wrong or does nitro not work for certain folks?
Thanks, Jason
seawalker
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: GI told me Nitro will not relieve symptoms? huh?

Postby StevePain » 30 Jun 2011, 15:56

Nitro may or may not relieve the pain but it will stop the spasm temporarily so the pain would definitely be less, when you've inserted the nitro (at least 1.5cm line), give it a few minutes then insert your finger and you should be able to feel just how loose that bad boy is providing you use the recommended dose, anything less isn't worth using IMO
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: GI told me Nitro will not relieve symptoms? huh?

Postby seawalker » 30 Jun 2011, 17:08

Steve, thanks so much for the advice. I thought 1.5 cm (says use 1/2 inch on the tube) seemed like a lot, but I just took out the ruler and squeezed a strip and it looks like ive been using about 1 cm. Then 45min later I used another centimeter again. I will check with my finger if I can work up the confidence and bare the pain.
seawalker
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4