sudden issue

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

sudden issue

Postby sudden » 01 Jul 2011, 15:32

This is a test because my origial post cannot be found.
sudden
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: sudden issue

Postby sudden » 01 Jul 2011, 15:55

OK, now on to business. Sorry for the long post to follow, but the more info I give, the better I'll get. After a life of eating whatever with very few issues, quick bathroom times, no pain, and only ever throwing up maybe half a dozen times in my whole life, I have sudden issue that started about a month ago.
Week 1: Woke up very tired and nearly fell asleep on the toilet. Felt chapped afterward like maybe too much exposure to air. Never fully went away. Maybe 95%.
Week 2: Sat too much in one day, causing exterior soreness. Two days of diarrhea during which toilet paper tore once, leading to a tiny cut or maybe rubbed raw area just exterior to the anus proper (or the area that remains closed during wiping, but is covered by anoderm) on the right side. This seemed to clear up in a few days, or at least improve. Then two days of constpation during which a large, hard stool seemed to peel off a piece of skin an inch long and about as wide as a pencil, ending just interior to the anus on the left side. I also wondered if it had been less serious and skin from within had just been stretched to the outside and then went back into place, but there was blood. I have had small amounts of blood on maybe four occasions, with the worst taking four blots of toilet paper before the fifth came back clean. It was like a worse-than-usual shaving cut amount. I have never seen blood in the toilet, but sometimes a clearish grey or yellowish mucus. Toilet paper sometimes has a clearish yellow mucus like slightly yellowed saliva.
Weeks 3 and 4 in next post.
sudden
Fibre Addict

Postby sudden » 01 Jul 2011, 16:18

Week 3: Drank more water and ate more fruits and vegetabes, less food overall. Got smaller stools, some softer, got what felt like a lesser version of that first real tear, this time on the right, had less aggrivation than expected to the left tear, the worst being a three-hour icey feeling after BM. Had researched online, decided it was a fissure, too deep to see (though I really advise against self-inspection as you'll see later). It seemed to be healing a tiny bit. Still had full control and could avoid annal contraction even during discomfort if I so chose. Switched to even more fruit and vegetable and water diet with soups containing no meat products, not cheese-based. Got great consistency of stools and very little irritation from them, but after a few hours of walking around in stores after sweating in the heat, began to have a bad, chaffing, chappng, swollen feeling. This at first seemed unrelated and was exterior to the tears and exterior to the anus, though still on anoderm. The sides seemed to stick together, pulling and stretching skin out of place, so gas was quite a relief, allowing skin to re-settle into natural positions, and offering hours of relief if I didn't move. Still, I had to lay in bed in just the right position and the pain and swelling were getting bad, so decided to call a doctor on Monday.
Week four will have to wait for the next post.
sudden
Fibre Addict

Postby sudden » 01 Jul 2011, 18:54

Week 4 Monday: Saw GI doctor after some relief on the weekend. Told whole story and even had drawn a diagram. Doc listened while flipping through info on a computer screen, then gave the one-word diagnosis of hemorhoids, saying that for me, uninsured, fiber would be the recommendation. I asked if he usually liked to look or just diagnose from a verbal account, so he said
OK and looked for a few seconds. It was uncomfortable, then painful. The diagnosis changed to fissure at 12 o'clock. Felt like 9 o'clock to me. Doc prescribed 0.2% nitroglygerin gel and a numbing agent. I never felt any 12 o'clock pain until about half an hour after that visit. Suddenly I felt almost normal, except for a stinging at 12 o'clock. Whether earlier swelling and pain had been caused by this posterior fissure or whether it was caused during the exam I don't know. Took no medication that day.
Tuesday: Did a mirror exam (which is a really bad idea, I think) to figure out where to put prescribed ointment. Could only find an anterior tear that looked like stretched chewing gum and did not hurt except for a slight twinge at one moment. It also did not hurt in the shower. It hurt really bad getting out of the car later.
This day I experienced the spasm. It was not violent and did not hurt in the muscle, but pressed skin together, irritating, pulled fissures taut, and resisted passage. Resistence to passage is a serious concern, but I had already achieved good stool size and consistency, so it wasn't too, too bad. Used the ointment near the posterior fissure, which brought immediate relief of pain and tension, but also a bad headache, dizziness, a few odd twiches, and maybe a few seconds of funny heartbeat; not sure on that. The anterior tear began to sting and ooze from a region so far out that it was exposed to air, and perhaps even to clothing.
Wednesday and Thursday?: Still had the headache. BMs were scarey because the anus would open and then snap shut so tight that it seemed areas north and south also shut tight for a second or two, but stool consistency was good and there was no damage caused by this that I could detect. Used ointment again. Got severe headache with naussia so severe it sometimes forced me out of my safe position. I also feared I would dry heave, the violence of which would have been terrible for fissures. The rest of the day was rest, and brought much relief after hours in the right position. Fissures felt best they had felt in a while. Took a shower which brings relief but may weaken my skin and tissues through moisture. As I slowly and carefully raised my leg to put on a sock, the anterior fissure suddenly stung like a fresh cut. It has never been consistently good since. Efforts to favor it agrivate the posterior tear, which can go numb and tingle for hours, or just sting. Still, the anterior is the worst now, I think. It seems to go all the way from anus to open air. It takes an hour to put on socks, usually with pain and re-tearing. I am almost utterly bedbound but for a few dangerous trips to the grocery and bathroom. Normal skin does not heal well for me sometimes; if it is not able to heal right the first time, it can become a painful dermatofibroma that can rub open with very little pressure. I must heal quickly. After months of effort to prepare and arrange, I was finally about to start college a bit late in life. I am supposed to start in a week. But, being poor and uninsured, I won't be able to go to school, work, or anywhere else if this does not heal up, and I hope to find out what I can do heal quickly, as naturally as possible, as completely as possible, and at home if possible.
Thanks for the patience it took to read that. So two things that feel like side tears that were scraped or rubbed off just interior to the anus, and the posterior and anterior split wounds, the anterior seeming to go all the way from anus to open air. How do your experiences compare? Is the fact that I have only dabbed bood about four times and never seen it in the toilet better than most fissures? Have people had them extend so far out? Other than the seat pulling on my skin, BM's are not usually the issue since I got good consistency, but almost every other daily motion and position hurts and re-tears. Any thoughts?
sudden
Fibre Addict

Postby sudden » 01 Jul 2011, 20:46

Don't want to make this a blog, but here is one more bit. I am very sensitive to position, weight distribution, angle of laying, even head position and any emotion other than pure peace. Good news and bad news. After last writing, I went out to get food. The really bad news is that my right wall tear get torn really bad getting into the car, and hurts even now far more than at any other time previous. It burns intensely and does not seem as linear as the others in shape, seeming wider perpendicular to the tract than it is long along the tract. My safe position eases it some, but mostly I think it has just reached that white noise level of burn where it radiates so far it seems to fade from attention for just a second here or there. I don't know of any consistency on Earth that could pass over this without pain, and, having read here, I dread that this could be the incident that leads to the tag or pile or fistula that requires a surgery I can never have. The good news is that I was able to walk slightly more freely than in recent days in terms of pain in other areas, which gave me some hope that someone might be able to live with this at some point, after some healing. I found a position that allowed some reduced pain for a while at the table, but not for long. I had to get up. I did discover a better method for entering the car on the way home. This has always been my least fissure (if a fissure it is), but now it seems to be the worst. I checked for blood at home and found nothing I could be sure was blood, and the anus even seemed to have loosened up from being out, but I fear the price may have been life-alteringly high. It hurts all the way through to external skin, though the source is intrerior to the anus. I seriously wish I had gotten into the car differently. Now I hope to avoid much more talk until someone responds.
Your stories make me fear that I am at the beginning of a horrifying road, but your virtual presence has been a comfort as I've read, and I await the first comment that is actually directed at me. My questions are in the previous post, and I hope my detailed chronicle may provide helpful information for some future sufferer, though I hope more that there never is a future sufferer.
sudden
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 02 Jul 2011, 02:31

Hi Sudden,
sorry you are suffering so much but you've come to the right place for advice.
We all have different sizes of fissures,I would imagine. And if it isn't healing and rips further,it will get bigger. I had a huge fissure that went right up to the muscle.
Why are you not able to have surgery? The LIS is a very simple, very quick op which can have immediate results. I've not heard of anyone regretting it, and it's helped nearly everyone.
Have a look around the site, there's a ton of information here.
And we'll all try to help you, whatever you need to ask.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby sudden » 02 Jul 2011, 10:11

Hi, Val. Thanks for the reply.
I have no insurance and little money, so surgery is tough to arrange, if possible at all, in the U.S. Since it is only week four of my experience, and only week 3 since verifiable fissure, I hope that I still have a few weeks of non-surgical healing possibilities. Spasms seem to be decreasing in the last 24 hours, but daily motions or any reaching below the knees leads to a fresh feeling like the splitting or cracking of a chapped lip on a greater scale. Good news is that last night's aggrivated tear has subsided a bit (not completely), leaving the anterior once again worst.
sudden
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 02 Jul 2011, 14:21

Have you tried stool softeners? Sitz baths?
Maybe try one of the healing creams like diltiazem, or rectogesic, they can make a huge difference if your fissure is in the acute stage.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby sudden » 03 Jul 2011, 14:13

Thanks. I'll look into that on Monday. I woke up today feeling encouraged, with less pain than in the previous few days. Had about a 5% increase in range of motion and speed of motion last night and this morning. Right tear still a major issue, re-aggrivated anterior in shower some. Not sure whether I got a huge amount of blood today or just partially digested tomato soup, but got a tiny amount of blood last night or this morning. If not for the issue getting in the car recently, I might actually have hope right now of healing in a week or two. Hope, not certainty. Fingers crossed. School in a week. If I can't go, I can't go. There is absolutely no contest. I'll have to lay around and heal. Cancel classes. Overall, I am slightly hopeful. Other good news. The last half of yesterday and first half of today, I was actually able, about 50% of the time, to have about 30% relaxing of spasm pressure just by trying to feel really calm. Not much luck since shower, though. Hoping for even better soon.
sudden
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 03 Jul 2011, 20:11

Hey Sudden,
Finding a good CRS and getting one of the ointments would help give your fissure a good chance of healing and definitely all of the other things above Val has mentioned are necessary!:)
Give it your best shot and try not to let this go on forever like I did. There's no need to suffer, months on end after you have gave it all you can while it's acute.
I didn't have Insurance either and I'm from the US too. If you talk with your CRS, they sometimes work with you when you don't have Insurance. If I would have had this done in a hospital as opposed to a surgery center it would have cost much more. I believe the hospital said $25,000 when I called to set it up with them.. The CRS worked with me and I had it at a surgery center, with everything I would have had at the hospital except the cost. I ended up with a payment plan and actually paid about $1,100 for my surgery. I was put to sleep and everything else that would have been done in the hospital.
Good luck with healing. You have a good chance while it's acute!:)