Post- Surgery Food Suggestions

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Post- Surgery Food Suggestions

Postby SummerGal » 27 Jul 2011, 23:10

I am having surgery Friday for a fissure, fistula, and skin tag. I was just interested in what specific foods people ate the week or so after surgery that were helpful in having good BMs. So this is kind of a "food roll call"! lol I just wanted a lot of suggestions, since I am going to the grocery tomorrow. Anything you can think of that was helpful to you, would be appreciated! I want to have some diverse ideas. Thanks!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: Post- Surgery Food Suggestions

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 28 Jul 2011, 00:29

Boiled veggies, yo!!! Image I love boiled vegetable medley for holy grail turds haha.
I get the vegetable medley prepackaged in bags (because I'm lazy -- you could of course just as easily buy broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. separately) and boil 'em with some broth.
Rank this one high on the fiber, flatulence, and soft stool meter, but low on the flavor meter Image Still, it was and still is a staple of my patent-pending "No Mo' Fissures Diet".
Ok and the shorter answer: eat whatever you've been eating that's led to soft, regular stools. Honestly I wouldn't make any drastic changes just because of surgery -- keeping up any established routines is best IMO, but for extra "protection," a heaping helping of boiled veggies can't hurt IMO, particularly in the first few days when folks tend to have a tendency to be a bit "clogged up" from the anesthesia (just be sure not to over-do it and cause the runs obviously).
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby SummerGal » 28 Jul 2011, 07:59

Thanks Neuro! I was hoping you would say pizza and ice cream Image. I will give the veggies a try for sure. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2011, 08:31

I agree with NG who also gave me advice before my LIS :D
Keep the same diet that worked before LIS while recovering, maybe a little more veggies or fruit.

Postby SummerGal » 28 Jul 2011, 14:44

Thanks Dawn! By this time tomorrow, I will have had the surgery. GULP!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2011, 21:27

You can do it Summer! I was the biggest cry baby with my fissure and before my surgery. NG witnessed it! Lol. If I could do it, anyone can!

Postby SummerGal » 28 Jul 2011, 22:28

hehe Thanks Dawn...that makes me feel better! Okay, I think I can...I think I can! I am thinking positive now! :)
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 28 Jul 2011, 22:38

Dawn wrote:You can do it Summer! I was the biggest cry baby with my fissure and before my surgery. NG witnessed it! Lol. If I could do it, anyone can!

LOL I did witness yours Dawn ... the same way Kim, CherylK, Fissulyna, Tabby, derryboy, Sidra, Corsi, and I'm sure others witnessed my own pre-surgery cry-babiness Image Image Image
SummerGal, we have an old saying around here: "he who cries the most before surgery recovers the fastest" ... okay ... so I just made that crap up :) but seriously just about everyone here was SUPER anxious before LIS. And that includes some "surgery vets" who'd had previous surgeries (in other parts of the body) too. Now if you weren't worried, then I'd definitely think there's something wrong with ya :)
Oh ya and expect to be a wee bit constipated after surgery. Your body's eating-processing-pooping plumbing may be sort of moody for a few days, and that's normal. I usually poo about 6-8 times a day (yup normal pattern my whole life) and after LIS I didn't poo for an entire day. Just keep up your diet and everything will return to normal eventually.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby val » 29 Jul 2011, 11:15

I'll agree with all that NG! I'd had surgery many times before but the thought of ass/fistula surgery had me sobbing all the way home from the hospital - oh and most of that night - and every time I thought about it! I even cried and wouldn't get out of the car on the day of the surgery - LOL - poor hubby had to coax me out like a 3 year old. It's quite funny now.
All the time I had the fissure I ate the fissure-diet. The day of the surgery at the hospital they offered me normal food, and I actually went onto normal food after that, with absolutely no ill effects. I never suffered constipation though, it would obviously be different for folks who do.
This time after surgery I stuck with soup for nearly a week, then left it a couple of weeks before resuming my low-carb diet, which is fine now I've found movicol!
Eat a little of what you fancy - everything in moderation!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 31 Jul 2011, 11:57

I was *so* afraid of the surgery I called the weekend before to cancel...but it was Christmas time and no one was there, and the recorded message I left didnn't get through to my surgeon. I finally went through with it and now, knowing what I know, I would do it again in a heartbeat!! :)
Deleted User 5