HEY GUYS!! NEED HELP BIG TIME

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

HEY GUYS!! NEED HELP BIG TIME

Postby Firstsurgeryat16:( » 24 Sep 2011, 11:13

Hello Friends,
First off I would like to say sorry for not returning to the form in awhile. It has been very busy with school. Well I did post my surgery recovery after it happened. But however I need your guys help. I have been back to the doctor about 3 times since the surgery. He keeps telling me that the fissure is 99% healed. And he said that my itchiness could be taken care of with corn starch, however if the fissure is healed, there MUST be something else going on up there.And that's where I need your guys help and opinions. The past couple weeks I have been noticing the pain has been terribly bad. I will give a few examples. I had talked to the nurse on the phone, I told her how there is still pain and blood. She said it should be gone by now so I had to return. The doctor once again said it looks great. But please explain this to me, I had went to the RR at school, and I wiped. There was dark blood, a lot. I have only had to wipe once to clean the blood up anytime before. This time I wiped 3 times and the blood was still there. The other day after I was done I saw there was blood in the toilet. I was kinda scared. I stood up to wipe when I noticed there were drops of blood falling to the floor. I began to cry, I am getting so scared. The blood and pain is worse then before and the nurse said it should be gone? What is happening?? Image
Firstsurgeryat16:(
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: HEY GUYS!! NEED HELP BIG TIME

Postby val » 24 Sep 2011, 13:36

Aw, it is very scary to see blood, especially when you are so young.
Have you been keeping taking stool softeners since your surgery? They tend to tell us that it heals in a matter of weeks, but the truth is,it takes months and months to fully heal, and you need to keep up a good regime of stool softeners, baths, plenty of water, and a good diet.
Hope you feel better soon.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Firstsurgeryat16:( » 24 Sep 2011, 14:18

val wrote:Aw, it is very scary to see blood, especially when you are so young.
Have you been keeping taking stool softeners since your surgery? They tend to tell us that it heals in a matter of weeks, but the truth is,it takes months and months to fully heal, and you need to keep up a good regime of stool softeners, baths, plenty of water, and a good diet.
Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Val!
So you don't think there is anything to worry about? I mean the blood is getting A LOT worse then it ever was, and I don't understand how if the doctor says it is healed. And I try to stay on them. :) thanks
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 24 Sep 2011, 14:50

Are you seeing just a normal GP or an experienced CRS (colo rectal surgeon) GPs are pretty rubbish at knowing about fissures.
If you think it has got worse and you're doing all the right things with diet and softeners, then you might need to get very tough and tell your doctor you need to see a CRS very quickly. And don't take no for an answer, stay there until you get referred.
val
King Fissure

Postby val » 24 Sep 2011, 14:52

I can't judge whether it is anything to worry about, but usually, if it's fresh blood - ie bright red, and the pain is coming from the cut, then the area is very vascular and does tend to bleed a lot.
But it's best to get it checked out with a second opinion. Doctors do get it wrong a lot.
val
King Fissure

Postby of all the places to hurt » 24 Sep 2011, 15:27

Aww I feel so sorry for you being so young and going thru this! Try not to over worry about the blood ok x
Just go see ur doc to set aside your worries! Hope you feel better soon Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 Sep 2011, 09:33

Seeing blood is very scary! Image I know how you feel! I've had a few cries when I've seen blood too.
Am I right that you are about six weeks post-surgery now? If that's the case then you are on the early side of recovery (6 to 8 weeks to heal is the common estimate from doctors, but I think it's usually much longer). I wonder if it's possible that you still have a little bit the fissure that is not yet healed? The pain and bleeding is sometimes surprisingly out of proportion to the size of a fissure. I agree with Val that bright red, fresh blood is most likely from a wound in the butt, and not anything sinister further up the disgestive tract. I also agree that you should go back to your CRS and be firm about your symptoms. Doctors do sometimes have a tendency to minimize and dismiss patients' concerns, and patients sometimes even minimize their symptoms when they talk to doctors. We don't do this consciously, it's just that we've been raised not to be complainers. So I sugguest that you go back to the doc and be politely assertive and make sure the doc understands what's going on.
Are you still taking warm/hot baths and stool softeners?
I really hope you are having a better day today. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Firstsurgeryat16:( » 25 Sep 2011, 17:34

hopetoheal wrote:Seeing blood is very scary! Image I know how you feel! I've had a few cries when I've seen blood too.
Am I right that you are about six weeks post-surgery now? If that's the case then you are on the early side of recovery (6 to 8 weeks to heal is the common estimate from doctors, but I think it's usually much longer). I wonder if it's possible that you still have a little bit the fissure that is not yet healed? The pain and bleeding is sometimes surprisingly out of proportion to the size of a fissure. I agree with Val that bright red, fresh blood is most likely from a wound in the butt, and not anything sinister further up the disgestive tract. I also agree that you should go back to your CRS and be firm about your symptoms. Doctors do sometimes have a tendency to minimize and dismiss patients' concerns, and patients sometimes even minimize their symptoms when they talk to doctors. We don't do this consciously, it's just that we've been raised not to be complainers. So I sugguest that you go back to the doc and be politely assertive and make sure the doc understands what's going on.
Are you still taking warm/hot baths and stool softeners?
I really hope you are having a better day today. Image

Thanks for the info. Well I don't think I would say that it is dark red fresh blood. It lightish. And I must be honest I have backed away from the softners and baths. But I still don't really bealive it is the fissure. The doctor and even my grandma said it is healed. But it is to the point to where sometimes it hurts to even walk. And I do belive my doctor isa C- - whatever that word was Clon somethin surgen. LOL, because he did my surgery. But it is only getting worse day by day. And today was a good day only one blood ordeal, however it switches, some days are great while others are a nightmare. Hope a little bit more info can help you guys. Thanks for being so supportive guys, I LOVE YOU!!!! Ik I couldn't get there it with out you!!! Image Image Image Image Image Image
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Sep 2011, 07:14

You are being incredible brave about all this! It sounds like you have good reasons to believe that the fissure is healed. If I were in you situation I would absoluted go back to my colorectal surgeon to get checked out. If the blood is light color, then there's a good chance that it is coming from the anus, which is good (dark, like almost black blood or very dark red, usually means there is something wrong in the colon or intestine). If you are still bleeding and still having pain, then that needs to be addressed, especially if you are being told that your fissure has healed.
I really recommend that you return to the stool softeners and the baths. I know they are inconvenient, but they are important to make sure that the conditions are best for healing.
Please don't be shy about seeing your surgeon again - it's his/her job to fix you! That means they should be helping you until you are healed. It may turn out that you are having minor retears, which are sometimes hard for doctors to see (that happens sometimes). If that's the case, then the stool softeners and warm baths are all the more important. But definitely see your surgeon to rule out anything else.
Good luck with all this - please keep us posted! You have a good attitude about all this, so I know that you'll heal eventually. You just need a wee bit more help to do that right now! :D Image
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 26 Sep 2011, 12:39

Oh, I really agree with Hope - PLEASE do use the softeners and keep up with the baths! That area is not very sterile and you could get an infection in the wound if you dont keep up with the soaks!
The softeners will stop you from keep retearing - which is what sounds like is happening.
Have you got some miralax/movicol? Try it for a few days and see if you improve.
You are a very brave kid!
val
King Fissure