Softeners/laxatives and possible hair loss?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Softeners/laxatives and possible hair loss?

Postby pink_bows » 22 Nov 2011, 23:45

Lately, I've noticed a dramatic difference in the thickness of my hair. In a matter of months it's thinned out to what feels like string.
I know that this is something lots of people face at a certain age, but I'm twenty years old, and this is a bit odd for someone of my age especially since it's not hereditary.
What I'm wondering is could the daily use of these softeners or laxative have this effect?! Has anyone noticed this difference in themselves?
For me, I alternate between one dulcolax pill and a herbal tea every other day along with lots of water, my fiber supplements, vitamins, and I eat right. I try my best not to "abuse" these items so idk.
Hope someone can help, thanks! <3
pink_bows
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Softeners/laxatives and possible hair loss?

Postby Guest » 23 Nov 2011, 19:52

Hey Pink,
I never had problems with hair loss while on Miralax but did loose hair by the handfuls during my pregnancies. I have very thick hair, probably enough for three people- No kidding! Lol. But I could imagine that could make you a little nervous. I wonder if it has something to do with your diet, but you say you are eating right and taking vitamins, so I don't know. Has this ever happened before?
I wonder if stress could be a factor?

Postby dwarfs8 » 24 Nov 2011, 02:51

yes, the linkage between softeners and laxatives with hair loss is unheard of. But the stress that we had physically and mentally while we are dealing with the fissures could most probably cause the hair loss.
Relax, breathe. I know it's hard, but you got to try your very best.
If you haven't thought of surgery, take a look at my thread "my success story". Do a search, there's some ideas for conservative treatments.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby pink_bows » 06 Jan 2012, 01:47

This has never happened before but within the past few months my hair has thinned out so much i feel like i have nothing left ): i rather have my tush hurt, than my head bald
pink_bows
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby grannymaria » 06 Jan 2012, 12:05

Hola Pink Bows :) .. Ive been through a ton of chemo and lost all my hair :*( and let me tell you sweetie - I rather be bald then having this pain :*(.. Trust me - I'm a gramma and my hair is starting to come out - and even at my age of 57 - my hair still is growing loool! God bless you sweetie.. hang in there.. As I have been reading that this does get better (sometimes for some) eventually..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby sterlingbird » 07 Jan 2012, 13:15

Have you lost weight with this. I was having hair loss awhile back and had low protein and progesterone. Not will to take the progesterone I up the protein. Jello has high amounts. We have so many thing that affect us when we cannot or are to afraid to eat right. Stay with in you food groups that work for you and look up which ones will help with hair loss. Stress is a big issue when it comes to hair loss. Hope thing work out for you!
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby joana » 23 Feb 2012, 13:05

I take dulcolax and never noticed any problem with my hair. There are many possible causes for hair loss, like a poor diet, stress, seborrhoea, etc
joana

Postby workingonit » 23 Feb 2012, 14:08

Why not try a different laxative like miralax?
A lot of people here do that one long term. I don't myself though.
You might want to get your vitamin levels checked by your doc.
I'd rather be bald myself...
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34