My standardized Anal Dilatation this morning

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Re: My standardized Anal Dilatation this morning

Postby Guest » 27 Jan 2012, 10:09

Sweet...
Thank you for the tip on the dr.!
I think everyone's path to healing is unique, no one way right or wrong. I'm not surprised the surgeon is minimizing the procedure with you. Part of his job is to instill confidence in you that all will be well. Of course he does need to be honest with you about the risks involved, but he doesn't want you worrying about them either. And there are risks. As with any surgery. It is your own inner voice of wisdom that becomes the most important voice for you to listen to. If that little voice inside of you that lives deeper than worry and fear is feeling confident and at peace with your decision to have the surgery with this doctor, that's all you need to know, and it's also where your centering point should be going into surgery in order to give your body the absolute best environment for healing well.
Big hugs for you... The days leading up to surgery are the hardest... Be very gentle with yourself...

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 27 Jan 2012, 11:04

j -
I've now seen three crs's, total - in as many months. The crs I saw yesterday - Dr. B. - is an older man and has been chief of surgery at one of our main hospitals (don't know if he still is, though) . . . however, like you said, surgery is surgery. All I know in my situation is that my fissure remains, not wanting to heal, even though it's very small.
Dr. B. said that a fissure will sometimes build up a little edge around the wound, then the skin will try to close - only to re-tear again. So, that's why I think he wants to do the fissurectomy on me - just clean and close up the area. He'll do the LIS, too . . . so, though I'm not worried about the procedures, I am concerned about healing properly (post-ops BMS, keeping clean, etc.).
I keep thinking, I've gone through major abdominal surgery four times . . .and healed (it was a little harder and longer to heal, the fourth time) . . . so, if I can keep myself in clean, careful order with this type of surgery, I think I'll be okay. That's my hope and prayer, anyway.
Nobody else around me is worried about my surgery or recovery - but they're not the ones going through this. --- Every person going into this surgery probably has had (will have) the same concerns I'm having . . . oh, gosh.
For the next three days, I plan on taking Miralax daily, eating lightly, and drinking plenty of water.
BTW, I appreciate your kind words of support.
I hope you're hanging on over there.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 27 Jan 2012, 12:17

I've been eyeballing our savings and thinking that as a last resort, I could probably do the Long Island thing. But I would definitely make some calls around Canada first.
I have the list of CRSs around Canada.
Hard to plan trips like that when you have a school aged child at home. Hmmmm.
Well touch wood, and it probably won't come to that. I would try the self dilation first.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby wecc » 27 Jan 2012, 22:42

Hi Sav…I received your post on my Blackberry. First if you indeed decide to come to LI, I can suggest a few hotels for you or you can just go on the Hilton site or hotel .com.
If possible, there is a small airport on Long island, Islip that is serviced by Southwest….I would go there…much less stress than any of the major airports…take it from someone who travel 50% of the time. I read you post and see how it seems that you are in pain most days. Regardless of what you do, please do something. No one should be in pain all the time.
I am still receiving many PM’s. Just know there is a VERY big difference between a Anal Dilation and a STANDARD AD. I would never, ever have the old AD which is called lords stretch. That is where the CRS simply put his finger in you and has a tug-of-war. That is why AD’s have such a bad reputation simply because the outcome for the most part was not very good. That in itself is why LIS took off here in the states.
The method they used for me is where they insert a VERY large dildo(for a better lack of words) In other countries, the utilized a balloon. I believe they achieve the same results.
I continue to do very well. I just came home from a father/daughter BB game and I feel great! The fiber pills I am taking are making me have big BM's. However with that said, I am in no pain whatsoever...during or after. As you see by my last post, I am back doing all the things I did prior to this year of hell. In fact, I was just in the West Coast with my son and we went mountain biking. Please understand I am only a month post AD and I can report I had had no pain after this. I did have much pain after biking with my son...but none was coming from my butt. I will say I was very worried that biking could do me in. However given the success I am having...I went for it!
Of course as I stated, I had to change my life style. I am drinking plenty of water, fiber pills, Magnesium tablets, more veggies and less red meat. Fact is, it making me not only have great BM’s I am feeling much better. However I will say, I did not give up drinking wine…at that point why even bother.
So there you have it. Sav…please do something! I know you are worried about an LIS, then go for the SAD….
I am very sorry for all of you who cannot find a CRS in their area that performs an SAD.I do indeed know how very lucky I am with this CRS in my backyard. It took much research and over 20 calls till I found him. Like I said, this marine was on his knees from the pain, I was all set to have an LIS, I got to the point where I could not work and worse I could not do anything with my kids! I was going to roll the dice and just deal. Then I was going though one of my better times before I again re-tour. I saw a very old post about a CRS in NYC that started this SAD....he was retired and it took me on a road full of research from Germany and Japan. I even spoke with a CRS when I was in Germany on business and I had a very good friend of mine who lives in Tokyo find out some info. For me Given what I saw and read about LIS, I was going to find a CRS that performs a SAD .Fact is I could have had an LIS in any vets hospital for free and I passed after what I found out.
Again many had good success with an LIS, however you still see 25% that are having many issues.
After over 20 calls to CRS in NY, I found this one who is 45 min from my home…what a lucky SOB I am and I know it….this has been a real god send for me. Again no one should be in this type of pain…no one.
I will share something with all of you, as a officer in the Marines who was in the middle east, I was shot…not that bad, but nevertheless I lost a bit of feeling in my right arm and would have to stay behind a desk or leave the service, I chose the latter. …the reason I bring this up is I know pain and this little cut was the most ongoing pain I ever had. So all of you that think that your weak or others that say “oh how can that little cut cause you so much pain…they have no idea!!!!
God bless and good luck
As my daughter says “peace out”
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Savaici » 31 Jan 2012, 10:38

Thanks wecc for such a wonderful and encouraging post! You provide a lot of information about this procedure and I am very grateful for that, as I’m sure that others will be.
Not sure when you’ll be back, but will put a few questions here, and send you a quick message too so that when you look it you will know.
You mentioned fiber tablets. Is that something that the surgeon recommended to keep BMs larger after the SAD?
Also, did you have to have tests done before the SAD, in order that they could see the situation in the rectum? Presumably they only go as far as the internal sphincter in this anyway.
I wonder why the doctor does not do the balloon dilation, as seems to be more common in Europe? Did he give any reason for that?
I really do think that if more doctors were training to do this, there would be so much more encouragement about the procedure on different sites that I have found, though where I have found posts from people who have had the procedure, they have some problem or other following, but their comments on the procedure itself are nothing but positive.
Final question for now: did the doctor do other tests before the procedure?
I will post this for now. More questions to come, but have had this sitting on my computer for a few days so want to put it out there for your next ‘call’. If I have asked questions that you have answered elsewhere, just let me know.
And thanks, again!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby wecc » 01 Feb 2012, 05:54

Hello Savaici!
You mentioned fiber tablets. Is that something that the surgeon recommended to keep BMs larger after the SAD?
>Yes he did and they really work. They say take two, I take only one because I also take Magnesium tablets, which I would highly recommend. I have very hard BM prior and they just keep me very regular
Also, did you have to have tests done before the SAD, in order that they could see the situation in the rectum? Presumably they only go as far as the internal sphincter in this anyway.
>Sure did and it so very pleasurable…NOT. However he could confirm that I indeed have a fissure and saw the exposed muscle fibers.
I wonder why the doctor does not do the balloon dilation, as seems to be more common in Europe? Did he give any reason for that?
>Never asked him….
I really do think that if more doctors were training to do this, there would be so much more encouragement about the procedure on different sites that I have found, though where I have found posts from people who have had the procedure, they have some problem or other following, but their comments on the procedure itself are nothing but positive.
>I believe you know my feeling on this very well from all my posts….
Final question for now: did the doctor do other tests before the procedure?
>No just the above…
Like I said, I was 100% better the day of the SAD and a week later I was playing flag football with my son and his friends. The healing from an SAD is 100% better then a LIS. It’s been 5 weeks and I have had no problem whatsoever. Like the doctor said as well as the others I met in his waiting room…my history of healing is very typical of the successful regardless of age or gender. We can all do research, however it came down to all the people I met in his waiting room….everyone was just thrilled with the results. In fact, I met one older man who had an LIS and a year later had to have another one. He told me about the all the post issues he had with that…he was at the CRS 6 months post because he had a LIS prior and he was almost in tears when he told me how successful the SAD was for him and he wish he never had the LIS…
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby SweetiePi » 10 Feb 2012, 22:17

Thank you for the information Wecc! It's great to hear that I might have an alternative to LIS surgery. I've been dealing with my fissure for over 3 years and I've tried it all (nitro, nifedipine, oral blood pressure med, dr. wheatgrass, fiber, stool softeners, etc) with no luck yet. My reluctance to have surgery is due to the fact that I'm only in pain on average about 5 days a month. If my bowels are small, no problem but once I get a large stool then the pain starts and can last hours/days. It is definitely a depressing problem to have and has greatly interfered with my life. I'm at my wits end and ready to get past this part of my life!
SweetiePi

Topics: 1

Postby TeeTone » 18 Feb 2012, 08:18

Google "ucsf medical center anal dilation". You'll find a PDF that addresses SAD. It doesn't say anything about AF's but it may be a starting point for anyone in California. If I find out more, I'll post. If anyone else in California gets more info, please post it. Thanks.
TeeTone

Postby workingonit » 18 Feb 2012, 11:05

I read this too, but it is for kids only.
I emailed Dr. Varma (chief surgeon in the colorectal department there) about anal dilation for adults, but have not heard back.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby TeeTone » 19 Feb 2012, 08:07

Thanks for the info. Let's hope you hear something back from her.
TeeTone