My fissurectomy story - what I ate and how I progressed

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My fissurectomy story - what I ate and how I progressed

Postby RedRose80 » 07 Jan 2012, 11:57

Two days before surgery – ate nothing but vegetables. Showered with Dial soap and some other antibacterial soap the hospital gave me. Took once dose of miralax at 6pm.
Day before surgery – Ate bowl of branflakes for breakfast. Had bowel movement at work. Gatorade and applejuice throughout the day. 7pm took 1.5 doses of Miralax. Showered with Dial and antibacterial soap again.
Day 1 – Wednesday Dec. 4 – surgery day – Bowel movement in the morning. Showered with dial and antibacterial soap a final time. Had my surgery at 12:30pm. Woke up sitting up with gauze taped to my bum. Was asked to see if I could urinate (which I was able to) and was released from the hospital shortly after. Went home, took two painkillers and rested.
Day 2 - Thursday – removed the bandage to reveal one hell of a bruise. Bruise is only one side of my body and runs from mid-buttox to labia. Entire perineum black in color and terribly sore/swollen. Started icing every hour for about 20 minutes. Took sitz bath to clean the area. Did not seem to sooth it much.
Also have been drinking tons and tons of water. The bruising and freakish side of my labia make it very hard to urinate and had to shower a lot to keep clean.
Day 3 – Friday - more ice and sitz baths. Was able to move around somewhat but still very uncomfortable. Still can’t sit down without pain but have been making due with laying in bed and on the couch. Legs are starting to get very achy from lack of activity.
Day 4 – Saturday – swelling seems to have gone down a little, but not much. Still in pain but am dealing with it and avoiding painkillers as they cause constipation. Taking Colace after every meal, which I am keeping light. Still no bowel movement. Patting gently on my behind there is some light blood. Haven’t had any discharge yet aside from that.
Day 5 - Sunday - Still could not sit. Swelling has gone down even more. Managed to take a walk around the block, which was tough but it felt good to actually get out. Had two bowel movements which were very small and somewhat painful. No blood, thank goodness. Took a bunch of sitz baths all day and tried my best to keep the area clean. Called in sick for work b/c of shooting pain when I sit down.
Day 5 - Monday - Was actually able to sit down for a few minutes, although it was painful. Pooped about 6 times today, all small amounts, messy but not painful (thank you Miralax!). Ate one bowl of branflakes for breakfast, two small cups of Bolthouse Farms fruit drinks for lunch, a salad, pickle and slice of buttered toast. Also took flaxseed and fish oils pills and my multivitamin. Called in sick again b/c I'm not feeling that I can sit all day yet without being in pain. I am also hoping that I will be able to have more bms tomorrow so I don't have to worry about going at work.
RedRose80
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?