Sphincter spasm

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Sphincter spasm

Postby reckless » 13 Jan 2012, 16:18

Hi all,
I have that constant rectal tightness/spasm. I believe it's my internal sphincter that is the issue. I get that awful perineum tightness feeling. Like I want to push something out of me.
I have noticed that due to this tightness I can't pass wind silently anymore. This was never an issue before.
However when I sit down the pain from the fissure comes and the tightness goes away and I can pass wind silently again. I find it strange that the tightness goes away as soon as the pain kicks in.
Then when I sit in a sitz bath the pain goes away and the tightness returns.
Does anyone know what the reason for this could be?
reckless
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Sphincter spasm

Postby grannymaria » 13 Jan 2012, 19:38

U might be right about da muscle acting up - have u had surgery on it ?
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sue1962 » 13 Jan 2012, 21:14

Spasms are different for everyone. At first mine were like a sharp knife jabbing me non stop, then they progressed to tight, pressure feeling like a golf ball was in there and sometimes if I sat down it would relieve the spasm too. I don't know what is worse, the fissure pain or spasms. My spasms would also last for hours. As long as you are having spasms, your fissure has no chance of healing and will become chronic!!! Try taking some Advil, soak in a nice tub at least 20 min. and watch your diet and take a good stool softener. Most of us on here take Miralax and is a miracle!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby reckless » 14 Jan 2012, 03:57

It's probably already chronic. I've had it for 7 months now.
I'm finally seeing a CRS this coming Wednesday.
reckless
Salt Bather

Postby Davo » 14 Jan 2012, 04:43

Hi reckless,
The spasms do come from the internal sphincter muscles. I was like Sue where they were a sharp knifed pain at first until they developed into tight pressured feeling.
The spasms for me were always far worse than the fissure pain itself and this would go on for hours on end. My pain was always at its worst when I would stand up stationary - if i stood still it was agonising, sitting would give mild relief but i would keep shuffling trying to get comfortable. The best pain relief is to always jump in the bath.
Are you not using GTN (Nitro) at the moment?
Good Luck with your CRS visit this week.
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby reckless » 14 Jan 2012, 07:18

Yes I know what you mean about standing still. It puts a lot of pressure in that area. I get most relief by walking or lying on my side.
I guess the CRS will prescribe the nitro on Wednesday.
reckless
Salt Bather

Postby Sue1962 » 14 Jan 2012, 07:27

Walking was my lifesaver!! Thank god I don't have a sit down job, I think I would have had to stopped working. I walk all day and yes standing still was horrible. I could actually feel my whole rectum drawing in with spasm. It would get so tight a pipecleaner wouldn't fit in there, not that I would ever put one there, but that was the way I describe it to my CRS, and that would last for hours. I used every cream and Rx know to man and they all worked only short term. The only relief I would get was from Advil and when not working Xanax. I don't think I will ever forget that feeling... Hopefully, you won't suffer too much until Wednesday.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Jan 2012, 12:26

I wasn't feeling too bad yesterday - but last night the spasms hit me, right after I went to bed. I just lay there, feeling the burning spasms - until I finally took a Xanax.
This a.m., I felt pretty good until I had a BM. The BM wasn't traumatic - so, I don't know why I'm sore now.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby reckless » 18 Jan 2012, 17:22

When you guys have the spasm, how tight does it get? My CRS said if I had a fissure then he would not be able to put his finger in.
Is that right? I definitely have tightness.
reckless
Salt Bather

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 18 Jan 2012, 17:26

If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't know I was having spasms. But, the burning down below tells me I AM having them - because the area is still sore and just can't heal (due to the spasms).
It's maddening, it really is. The area is sore, goes into spasms, which make it hard for the area to heal - thus, continued soreness, followed by spasms.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11