Chronic vs acute??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Chronic vs acute??

Postby catniss » 16 Jan 2012, 20:29

I keep hearing you guys refer to your AF's as either chronic or not chronic, is there a time frame that determines which it is? Does it make a difference in how it heals? If its chronic will it require surgery as opposed to being acute and possibly healing itself?
catniss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Chronic vs acute??

Postby Davo » 16 Jan 2012, 23:33

Acute normally refers to an AF that is less than 6 weeks old, chronic is one that has been around for more than 6 weeks.
If it becomes chronic it normally means that it wont heal by itself and so needs a certain course of medication, i.e. GTN as a first defence, if this should not work then its Botox injections, if Botox fails then its LIS surgery.
Last edited by Davo on 17 Jan 2012, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wording error
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 17 Jan 2012, 00:09

Yep, that's right . . . but I don't think I want Botox . . . not sure about that one.
I keep hoping mine will heal on its own - but I've started to think that it won't, not after 3 months and counting.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Davo » 17 Jan 2012, 01:03

I have been on GTN for six weeks now and had my follow up CRS visit yesterday to be told that i am nearly healed so dont lose hope!!
Davo

Postby catniss » 17 Jan 2012, 05:46

Davo- do u still have any pain at all? I'm on Diltiazem which I started almost 2 weeks ago now- I had like 2.5 days of literally almost no pain at all, like I could hardly tell I even had it, and then yesterday started with pain again. Nothing changed tho...no painful or difficult bm's...just a mild soreness has returned and that pressure again. I actually thought I was starting to heal but now I'm not so sure :/
catniss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Davo » 17 Jan 2012, 05:56

Catniss,
I still have discomfort which is more an annoyance rather than a pain. It is a rocky road though and i have had ups and downs over the course of the six weeks - Don't feel down hearted about the more painful days though as this is just part of the healing process. I posted a thread a short while back as i asked my CRS the same question - I have posted this below along with his response:
----------------------------------------------------------
SOMETIMES THE FISSURE PAIN SEEMS TO IMPROVE THEN OCCASSIONALLY I WILL HAVE A BAD DAY EVEN THOUGH MY FOOD DIET DOES NOT REALLY CHANGE – WHY WOULD THIS BE?
CRS: The variability of a fissure is extremely common, the explanation for that is really uncertain. Some people beat themselves up trying to blame a piece of food they ate the day before but on most occasions that’s not the case providing you have maintained a high fibre/water intake. The healing progress of a fissure should be measured over a week (and never daily) therefore if you have two bad days with a bit more blood and soreness than usual you should not be concerned as two bad days out of seven would indicate that you are overall improving.
Davo

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 17 Jan 2012, 10:53

Davo, I hope that's right - and I hope I'm (and we are all) on the mend, but . . . I had a throbbing, burning day yesterday - seemingly for no reason.
I'm seeing my crs this Thursday, and I sure hope he says I'm healing. Otherwise . . . well, I don't know.
catniss -- Last night I was so upset and uncomfortable, that I had to take Xanax to go to sleep.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Savaici » 17 Jan 2012, 11:09

I had a day from hell yesterday, Sweet, and again not sure why. Today is slightly better, and I tend to wonder 'oh, is it because I left such and such out of my food' that did it. I used a hot water bottle on my stomach and on my coccyx last night, as had pain in both places. Today, did not spend so much time on the Sitz bath, as do not seem to have the best response to that - that is, get more spasms when I use it. But, who knows! This is a real unmagical mystery tour... Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 17 Jan 2012, 11:13

LOL, savaici - that's so true! and BTW, I'm not sure the sitz bath helps me, either.
So, so sorry you had a horrible day yesterday. I was fairly miserable, too. I usually have a morning BM - and until that happens, I have no idea how I'm going to be feeling for the day. NOT fun.
My appt. with the crs is day after tomorrow (Thurs.). I'm hoping for the best, of course - and I know my anxiety will be high.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby beachgirl » 17 Jan 2012, 12:42

sitting on a heating pad really helps get rid of pain for me and i think that has to be good for the spams.
beachgirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 30