Just got back from my crs visit -

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Just got back from my crs visit -

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 19 Jan 2012, 16:10

Well. I had quite a visit with my crs - Dr. C.
I explained everything to him - my symptoms, etc. - and he examined me. Then my husband came in, and we had a lengthy discussion with the crs about all of this.
I was extremely nervous during my appointment, so I'm sure I'm forgetting parts of my conversation with Dr. C. - but here's the most of it - and to try to condense everything, I'll just type it like headline news:
- Dr. C says I do have a fairly tight sphincter, and says I have a couple of extremely small fissures, but they're not more than 1 mm in size. He thinks my "posterior" fissure (which he saw in Nov.) is better.
- When I explained I had been using the nitro/lido ointment that another crs (Dr. L) prescribed, Dr. C seemed very surprised by that and said he didn't even know there was a pharmacy in town that would prescribe it. He said that nitro, by itself, is probably harmless enough, but it's not made for the anus - BUT the lido will cause a person's anal area to burn after awhile, if used long enough. -- Dr. C knew exactly which crs (Dr. L) had prescribed the nitro/lido - and just by Dr. C's reaction, he seemed incredulous and annoyed that the nitro/lido would be prescribed by any doctor, for use on the anal area.
- Dr. C said that people put all kinds of things on their anuses - most of which aren't made for the anus and can irritate the skin and provoke burning. His recommendation was to keep the area absolutely dry, with nothing on it - except for a type of anal/vaginal lotion (can be used by both men and women), called "Balneol." A 3-oz. bottle cost me $18. He said to use an extremely small amount and just barely rub it on the external anal area, like putting on a bit of lotion there.
- I asked about nifepidine - and I was so flustered and anxious during the appointment, that I can't remember if he said that it's available in the U.S., but I think he said it wasn't. (I'll have to ask my hubs about that, just for clarification.) Dr. C did say that people in other countries have different health-care systems, so their studies on various medications vary from ours, due to the fact that their options/treatments are different from ours.
- We discussed the LIS, but because my AFs are so very small, Dr. C said that the best long-term fix (for me) is to have enough fiber in the diet - and that these things just don't clear up over night. I did ask about LIS - how many he's done, incontinence, etc. He said he's done alot, with no incontinence problems - but he didn't seem to think that the LIS was the necessary measure for me at this point.
- We discussed S.A.D., and he said that no one here does that. He said if that procedure is not carefully controlled, it can permanently damage the anal area. --- So, if I were to ever want that procedure, I obviously can't get it done locally (I'm assuming). --- And I won't even bother going back to Dr. L (the [foreign born] crs who prescribed the nitro/lido, which Dr. C said should not be used on the anal area), even if he does perform S.A.D.'s.
- I asked about my diet. Dr. C said to get enough fiber and that one dose of Konsyl, per day, was enough for someone my age - but that if I were older, 2x per day would be okay. FTR, I'm still going to take it twice per day, because I know it can't hurt.
- I asked about the Miralax. Dr. C didn't have too much to say about that - whether to continue or stop. But, I'm going to continue it for a little while, just to make sure I give myself a little more time to feel better, if possible.
There it is, folks. I'm going to put nothing on the anal area, except for the Balneol (very lightly, at that) - I'm to keep the area dry - I'm to get enough fiber - and I go back in two months. Dr. C did say that baths could help with spasms and discomfort.
So, now . . . I just hope I heal.
Last edited by Sweet Bugaboo on 19 Jan 2012, 16:14, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: error
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Re: Just got back from my crs visit -

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 19 Jan 2012, 16:56

Now I think I have some depression hitting me . . .
I just hope my fanny problems go away. As I sit here, I can feel things "buzzing" down below. I might go back to Dr. C in less than two months.
Not only that, my mother (85) is still battling her ulcerative colitis. She's had a flare-up, after medicating it for the past 3-4 months.
Oh, my.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 19 Jan 2012, 17:15

Hmmm. I don't know SB. Nifedipine is available in the US and many CRS's prescribe it, that was the first thing I was Rx'd. It was a bit pricey, 65.00 per tube, but it has to be made at a compounding pharmacy. Also, it is very common for CRS's to Rx Nitro/lido early in treating a fissure. The Balneol will not stop your spasms and if your spasms don't stop your fissures won't heal. Three months in misery, fissures are chronic after 6 weeks. He said you have two?? You can try the Balneol, and I hope it works for you, but it is generally for cleaning. Did he say he would talk surgery if you don't heal soon. IMO, if I knew what I know now and not waited for so long and let scar tissue build up from the rip,heal, rip, heal process, I would have had surgery 2 years ago. Your first CRS Dr. L was indeed treating you for a fissure. Dr. C is not. Sorry, but I just have not heard of anyone going to a CRS and coming away with eat more fiber, use a cleansing lotion and they take forever to heal.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 19 Jan 2012, 17:23

Sue, I know.
I just don't know what to think. My guess is that if I don't heal up, then I'm going to have to go up to Sacramento or San Francisco, to a crs there.
My crs did say the fissures are very small and also that my "posterior" fissure was better. --- Ya know, I was such a wreck during that visit, that I'll have to ask my husband exactly how that conversation went . . .
I might have to seek another opinion.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 19 Jan 2012, 17:37

I am so glad you said that. I know that is what I would do. I am sorry you have to go through this. I mean three months is not a long time,but when you are talking fissure time, it is a long time!!! and by now chronic. We all know the pain your in and you have 2 fissures!! I just don't get it. Balneol is for cleaning. It is not going to help anything accept get you clean. Your already barely eating and taking meds to help relax the spasms, and he sends you home with "these things take time" that really makes me mad!! Sorry for ranting, but you are looking for help!! I had to travel 2 hours to find my CRS and he was well worth the drive!!! I worked like a horse today, all day and only on day 10 post op and feel great. I hope you find someone that will help you.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 19 Jan 2012, 17:39

Just got back from taking my son to his lesson.
Sue, I was sure (before I saw the crs today) that he would recommend surgery - and we did talk about it. But he said, that in his opinion - and even though I have a fairly tight sphincter - that the LIS was not the long-term solution for this. Now, maybe he meant that in MY case, not necessarily for anyone else.
And maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about . . .
Gads. I just don't know what to think or do . . . but I think I'll see how I am, in the next couple of weeks - and by golly, if I go through anymore unbearable suffering, I'll just contact a different crs.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 19 Jan 2012, 17:43

See what happens like you said, but if things are not better in a couple of weeks, please find another Dr. There is no need to suffer any longer than needed.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 19 Jan 2012, 17:49

Sue - I'm actually kind of disappointed that my crs didn't recommend the surgery -- and I straight out asked him if he thought it would be helpful for me . . . but he said that fiber intake was the long-term fix for this . . .
-- I did also ask him how many LIS's he had performed, and he said alot - with no incontinence issues, at all.
As to the nifepidine (sp.), I can't remember exactly what he said about it, but he really didn't think the nitro/lido was something that should be used on the anal area, due to the irritating/burning effects that the lidocaine can have down below.
That first crs - a foreign-born crs here in town - is the one who prescribed that nitro/lido. He didn't even spot my fissure(s) when I saw him last October!
I really have to wonder about these guys . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby sputnik » 19 Jan 2012, 17:59

so sorry for what your going through. I don't what happend, this is the 3rd reply i've posted and nothing. I hope this one posts. Just wanted to say hope you feel better soon.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby Sue1962 » 19 Jan 2012, 18:03

Nitro is widely used by CRS's. Sometimes with sometimes without the lido, b/c it can sting initially when you first put it on, but then it goes away as I am sure you know by using it. Did you tell him you were tired of beating a dead horse so to speak and wanted surgery?? Sometimes they don't want you to think they are cut happy and try to heal it with other means. Yes, high fiber is very important, in keeping the stools soft and moving, but it is not going to control the spasms. And you know if your spasming your fissure won't heal. If you read my post about my first visit with my CRS, he was indeed gentle and was going to write a RX for something different, I told him no thanks, I was ready for surgery and we set the date
Sue1962
Fissureologist