SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby aimonaali » 29 Oct 2013, 12:19

I'm gonna lift this one up since I've been self dilating for two weeks now... And so far things have only gone worse. My butt hurts more than in months, and the "leakage" I have after a BM is bigger than ever:( Has anyone have good results with dilating? Should I just give it more time? The CRS said I should do it for a month but if it doesn't get any better I'll probably just stop. Things being worse might just be due to the somewhat rough examination the CRS did and I should give the dilating more time. I just don't know, it's really frustrating.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby jr2 » 29 Oct 2013, 14:58

aimonaali

What size dilator are you using? It might be too big a step up for you right now and you might need to start with a smaller size. Can you comfortably insert your own finger without causing any more harm?
jr2

Postby aimonaali » 29 Oct 2013, 15:16

It's 22 mm wide and it's the only one the doctor gave me. I can insert my finger without causing harm and at least the fissure didn't open in the examination even though they used a proctoscope bigger than the dilator. It's not even the fissure site or the insicion site that are causing the problems. Feels like the whole anus is messed up:/ Burning after a BM is worse than before and so is the leakage afterwards.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 29 Oct 2013, 15:34

Can you remind me why your CRS is recommending dilating for you? Am I recalling correctly that you had previously had surgery and were suffering with leakage problems following surgery? Also, are your fissure and your surgical site both completely healed at this point?
jr2

Postby aimonaali » 30 Oct 2013, 07:05

I had LIS done almost a year ago but I still have pains. The leakage started a couple of months after LIS. The CRS I went to last time wasn't the on who did the LIS. He examined me and said everything looked great: no fissure and nothing visibly wrong with the insicion site. He also said I was a rare case having healed without forming any scar tissue. He also said the tone off my sphincter felt good, not too loose, not too tight.

And yet I still have increasing pain right after a BM and discomfort all day long.

Today I tried to put the dilator in right before taking a dumb. And I think it might have helped a bit. It seems that the muscle tightens when I start to shower my butt. Tomorrow I'll probably try leaving it in for a little longer before BM and wiping with a wet tissue right after so that I can perhaps wipe some of the poo before the sphincter desides to close up. Well I'm not sure if that'll work. I keep on complaining in here.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby aimonaali » 07 Nov 2013, 10:04

I've now stopped using the dilator. I only used it for two weeks since my butt was getting worse. It might have been the examination that made me feel worse and not the dilator so I might give it a try again after I get rid of the pain (if that happens...)

But what I think the dilator has helped me with is to control my sphincter better when defecating. I now don't "allow" my sphincter muscle to close up right after BM. I try to keep it "open" as long as I can. This can be tricky and I have to breathe carefully and hold very still but the pain and discomfort after a BM is not much less than a week ago. After the muscle eventually does close up I do this thing where I hold my nose and try to blow through it at the same time. This pushes left over fecies out but I feel it doesn't strain the muscle so much and might be easier to a fissure. This might have helped with my leakage problem as well.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 07 Nov 2013, 20:44

Hi, I've been doing dilation since my surgery in april and while it's not my favorite thing it has helped.. My CRS told me to use the 19 mm. He said if I could do that one it will keep the muscle stretchable for me. I sometimes use the 17 or 18 mm and those usually go in easily, the 19 mm is a little more difficult but I guess for dilation to work properly you have to feel the stretching and I definetly do. I don't leave it in long but I do remove it and insert it a few times before I'm done. I'm doing better than I thought I would after the dual advancement flaps. I still take miralax at bedtime, less than a normal dose and I baby my behind. That surgery saved my life. I was ready to give up before I had it. It's funny but 6 years ago I never knew what anal stenosis or a fissure was. Until someone has suffered from one they have no idea how something so small can cause pain so big. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. I found more information here then anywhere else and it's good to share what works and doesn't. Forever grateful. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Savaici » 21 Apr 2014, 17:29

Well, after a break, and because of problems again with having a BM, I have started self-dilating again as of last night. Keeping a record of how it goes here.

Used 13mm, and to start will use it every other day. As lubricant I used Sliquid, but I think I will also get some "SOOTHE" from Intimate Organics as I think it might be a bit thicker of substance. I read an article about other lubricants (can't find it now) and am going to stick with the ones with the most gentle ingredients.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby suzyljank » 23 Apr 2014, 19:53

Hi, I use (High Tech Pharmacal) lidocaine ointment USP 5% ointment on the tip of the dilator. It's water soluble and then KY jelly. I don't use the lidocaine very much anymore but if the skin gets irritated I use it. I start with a 16mm dilator and then use the 19 mm. It has helped me keep the muscle stretchable and I can feel the difference. Good luck. I hope it helps you. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby sandman » 08 Sep 2014, 20:21

Hi All,

I am not sure but I want to try SD but so scared! currently, i cant even have pinky in and even Q-tip is hard to go. I have following question.

1) does self dilation interfere with healing of the fissure or make it worse?
2) how are people doing after SD? Are they back to normal life or still having discomfort.
3) how long does it take to reach 30MM to 40MM.
4) When expert such as Dr.Cranford does it, how does it work in just one treatment or a one day? I was thinking about that route.
5) would this avoid any future porblems such as Hammorides, Fissures, etc..

Any experiences.

Thank you guys.
sandman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5