How Permanent is LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

How Permanent is LIS?

Postby FishBoi » 25 Jan 2012, 19:01

I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks and have been posting questions here, sorry if I missed past posts here addressing my questions and reposting questions already answered. I'm trying to get as much info as possible. I will ask these questions to my CRS on our next appt before the surgery date but wanted fellow members' input as this is really an informative site. As you know, AF is not really a thing people share like other types of other ailments. I'm so glad I found this site.
How permanent is LIS on relaxing the internal sphincter? Once the LIS cut heals completely, does that mean the muscle will return to it's normal tone or will this "relaxed state" be permanent as the muscle is already weaken by the cut. Statistics and my CRS keeps stating 5% fissure reoccurrence. My thinking is it because once the cut heals, the tone tightens back up? If so, is LIS just a more extreme case of Botox and other creams I've tried up to now?
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: How Permanent is LIS?

Postby Sue1962 » 25 Jan 2012, 21:04

LIS is permanent. Once the cut which is usually 5mm, heals the sphincter does get stronger, but not what it was before the cut. The studies I read, showed 98% of people healed and had no problems. Some people if they get constipated or push too hard can actually get another fissure or can retear the old one. Usually, a retear isn't as bad as the original and heals much faster. It takes almost a year for everything to return to it's pre fissure state. So with all that being said. LIS is indeed permanent, unless the Dr. did not cut enough and then usually you know within a few weeks of surgery, if your spasms return or your fissure isn't healing. I had LIS 2 weeks ago and I am doing wonderful!! No problems at all. The surgery was a breeze and life is great...Don't worry you will love the way you feel in a few weeks!! I would definately talk to your CRS though and get all your questions answered. BTW had my 2 wk post op check yesterday, and everything was great!! Good luck!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: How Permanent is LIS?

Postby grannymaria » 26 Jan 2012, 13:11

Fishboi: take care son.. and plz read other posts as some have had set backs and others have not.. From what I have read keeping the regime of eating right/drinking plenty liquids/ and stool softeners is the key.. God bless you and He heal us all..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13