hello I'm a newbie here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

hello I'm a newbie here

Postby tillyest » 28 Jan 2012, 08:34

Hello all, I'm a newbie here. I have been dealing with an AF for over two years, OUCH! I just had my surgery in early December and am still healing from it. The surgery seems to have worked. I still get some blood now and again with a BM but nothing like before the surgery.I had a fissurectomy inc sphincterotomy and tag removal. ( I also hemoraged after my surgery and they had to rush me back into surgery to fix that)The doc missed a blood vessel:(. It was quite a day I'll tell you! Anyway, My Dr. has me on Senekot-S ( its a lax plus softner)two tabs every other night. At first they worked well and now they seem to have stopped. Has this happened to anyone else?
I've started to take colace (stool softeners) one every night before bed. Does anyone know, is that a safe alternative (to take long term) or should I stick with the Senekot (senna lax)
Any help would be appreciated.
I'm really glad I found this site. Wish I had found it years ago. Image Tilly
tillyest
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: hello I'm a newbie here

Postby workingonit » 28 Jan 2012, 10:20

Hey Tilly,
I just do a spoonfuls of metamucil and a spoonful of olive oil afte lunch and dinner for my AF. But many many people on this forum take or have taken mirilax (also called Movicol). I guess it is easier on the system. I've read that people do one or two sachets in the evening. There are a couple people who got the runs from it, but I think they tended to have loose stools in the first place.
In the past I have taken Colace and found it ineffective. Drinking lots of water seems to work better for me than Colace. I have heard that after a while even if they do work, those types of stool softeners can stop working.
So IMO mirilax would be something more worthwhile trying.
Glad you are healing well. That must have been scary, the hemorraging part! Was it a LIS (Lateral internal sphinerotomy)? If your don't mind my asking, was your fissure at the front (anterior) or the back (posterior)?
Are you taking pain meds?
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby tillyest » 28 Jan 2012, 10:37

Hi WOI~Yes it was very scary! No, not taking any pain meds. Didn't take any after the surgery either. Dr. gave me percaset (sp?) but I didn't fill the rx. Mine was in the back I believe and yes it was a LIS. I am still petrified that I'll tear again. So kinda concerned about this laxative thing and if I drink anymore water I think I'll burst!!!;)Tilly
tillyest
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 28 Jan 2012, 11:40

know what you mean about the water. i have to get up and pee at least twice a night, but I am afraid to cut back until I am all healed.
Did you have the spasms that others here have that makes the AF so painful? I don't, so I wonder if surgery would actually help...
Too soon to say really. I've been on the nifedipine for almost 8 weeks. I'll give it another month before I worry about the next stage. Well, I mean before I act on my worrying about the next stage.
I don't think you need to worry about re-tearing as much now. You should be looser now.
People here take the mirilax forever. Have you tried a fibre supplement? They do bulk you up though, so maybe wait til you have no more blood.
So you have two sets of stitches? I'm still learning how this works...
That's great that you didn't need pain meds!
This forum has helped me immensely. If nothing else, it arms me with the right questions for my CRS.
But the support is great too. Some really caring people here who understand what you are going through.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby tillyest » 28 Jan 2012, 13:16

woi~I wish I had the surgery 2 years ago. Yes I had horrible pain during and spasms for hours after every BM for almost 3 years. Sometimes I couldn't even walk. I tried all the remedies. Nitro cream, suppositories, diet etc. It would work for alittle while and then came right back. I lost a ton of weight too.
Tried the fiber stuff (Benefiber)I put 1TBS of it in my water but lately I've been thinking that could be my problem. I don't have a trouble going, I'm regular, it's just that the Bm is so bulked up and large that makes it hard to go.
Yes I have stiches, not sure about two sets. The first month the healing was ok, I'd equate it to little sharp pain every once and awhile. But that went away. And some minor itching thats associated with healing. Sometimes it feels like there is something in there but that comes and goes to. Dr says all normal part of healing. I'll tell you what if I knew I'd feel this much better I would have done it much sooner like I said. The first Bm after surgery was pain free. I was shocked. (and releaved)
How long have you been coping? I really can sympathise.(sp?) I'm guess you tried all this stuff too?
tillyest
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 28 Jan 2012, 13:31

I'm not even sure how long I've had an af. I know for sure it has been coming and going since last June. I thought it was a hemorrhoid though and probably aggravated the situation with umpteen miracle cures for hemorrhoids before I finally got a referral to a crs(I had to ask for one)!
I can't complain too much as I don't have the spasms. Just general discomfort and twinges of pain... and oh yah, fear of the bathroom! doh!
I get that same feeling sometimes of something being in there and then it will go away. It kinda worried me at first, but it seems a normal part of healing. I'll ask next time I see my CRS at the end of February. I keep a list of things to ask him (which he seems to find annoying.. too bad!).
A lot of people say the same thing as you about the surgery.
Great way to start the new year eh?!
:D
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Sue1962 » 28 Jan 2012, 18:58

Hey Tilly, wow I think if I had read your story before my surgery I would have cancelled it....LOL I have not read or heard of anyone hemmoraging from LIS...Sorry you had to go through that. I had my surgery 3 weeks ago, and like you suffered for 3 years. I wish I did it 2 1/2 years ago!!! I was so scared of the surgery and it was a piece of cake. I feel so good!!! I never took the percocet either, only Advil by day 5 I was great and haven't looked back since. I really forgot what it was like to live life pain free. I am glad you are feeling better. I take 3/4 of a cap of Miralax everyday. I don't do any fiber supplements they bulk me up too much. I just make sure I eat 20-25 grams of fiber and drink lots of water. Although now I am also drinking coke again...LOL I have been so bad with my diet I have actually gained a couple of pounds back. Colace did 0 for me I was taking 6 a day. I would say just try the Miralax and eat high fiber. Good luck!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby tillyest » 28 Jan 2012, 22:49

Thanks Sue~I think I'll try that. I'm glad your healing well too. I can't tell you how much it means to have other peeps who understand all this! I wish i'd found all of you earlier. I'm grateful for this site. Thanks again! tilly
tillyest
Fibre Addict