Help - My story - AF keeps coming back

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Help - My story - AF keeps coming back

Postby AFdude » 17 Feb 2012, 11:50

I had pain during BM for a while before I took it seriously and went to the doc back in Nov. The doc said I had a AF. He gave me GTN and stool softeners for 2 weeks. After a week into GTN, I felt perfect. As in no sign of pain or discomfort. It lasted 1 whole week. I stopped medication after 2 weeks and there you go. It came back with the original intensity - lots of pain and blood during BM, spasms all day - the lot. So I go back to the doc and he says I should continue with GTN and stool softeners for 3 months. This time around, it took more than a week for me to feel better. The AF was bad but after around 2 weeks into GTN and stool softeners, I started feeling perfect again. There was no sign of any discomfort - too good to be true. But alas, this time also it lasted for a week. One fine morning, it just starts again. What's disappointing this time around is that I did not stop medication. I drink LOTS of water, I take a fibre supplement, I take 2 stool softeners per day. But the pain and the bleeding came back.
I don't know what to do at this point. I'm 1 month into the 3 month course that my doc suggested - should I hold out for another 2 months? Will it get better?
I have lots of other questions for the good ppl of this forum, but I'll save them for later. This totally sucks.
AFdude

Topics: 2

Re: Help - My story - AF keeps coming back

Postby Baba » 17 Feb 2012, 13:59

That's the story of my life too for the past 29 years. I had anal dilation done once, which helped but the good effects didn't last long, so now in desperation I'm using anal training plugs - yes, you have to get them from embarrassing places!
So far they seem to be helping me. so I hope that keeps on.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby workingonit » 17 Feb 2012, 14:12

It is still possible to get better on the creams, but the chance of a re-tear are high too.
You need to know that the skin is going to take 1-2 years to get back to it's original resiliency and strength.
So you have to take recovery slowly even after you are healed. My mom healed with topicals and it took a few months. But she has been fine for the past two years. She is also very cautious and makes sure she gets her 30g of fibre a day and all the water that entails. She has the occasional glass of wine, and does like her coffee in the morning.
sometimes the re-tears are from stress I think. Cause there often doesn't seem to be any other explaination. Also the road to healing is rarely linear for AFs. It's normal to have setbacks. Of course they still suck.
I like what Baba's doing and plan to do it myself sooner or later. I also have had luck with lanolin. I get the kind for breastfeeding moms (lansinoh). I put it on the fissure twice a day and after BMs. Then I use the nifedipine I've been prescribed.
This has worked for me so far. Not out of the woods yet though.
Other people have had luck with coconut oil, dr. wheatgrass, manuka honey. All kinds of weird stuff.
But I think re-tears boil down to there being a weakness in the skin and our sphincters being too small from all the tension, and spasms for a lot of folks.
IMO of course.
SO don't lose hope yet.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby grannymaria » 21 Feb 2012, 06:38

Never lose hope . I'm under chemotherapy n dealing with an AF n all i know is to take a day at a time - totally relying in God and His mercies. Do the food n water regime. God bless each n all here n heal us all.
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Davo » 21 Feb 2012, 06:54

Hi AFdude,
Fissures are variable and i have had a few recurrences where i have re-torn even though my medication, diet and lifestyle has remained consistant.
What i will say is what my CRS said to me on my very first visit, which was, "Stay on the GTN for the full six week course and even if your symptoms completely disappear DO NOT STOP TAKING THE GTN OR EATING THE SOFT FOOD DIET"
This is a common mistake apparently and people tend to return to their old lifestyles immediately following healing
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby workingonit » 21 Feb 2012, 09:51

I also think the unexplainable re-tears have to do with stress and tension.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Savaici » 21 Feb 2012, 12:02

Absolutely agree with Davo. Don't stop and go back to the 'good old days'. Once we get this, it seems it is a forever journey of watching what we eat and keeping BMs soft. Right now, with the state of me and my AF, I eat very soft food, and take metamucil. It is very hard to not eat as I once did, but even if anal dilation works for me, I will never ever take my rear end for granted ever again!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby workingonit » 21 Feb 2012, 12:03

amen to that Sav!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP