Operation yesterday!!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Operation yesterday!!!!

Postby Ginniemac » 25 Apr 2012, 08:15

Hi guys
So I finally had my surgery yesterday. The CRS didn't know exactly what shed be doing until she took a better look under anaesthetic. We agreed before hand tho that I'd have no botox or cutting of muscle as I suffer with IBS and an awful lot of wind so didn't want this to worsen!!!!
Arrived at the hospital at 730 and had an enema to clear me out. Went to theatre at 1145 and was back on the ward for 230. I was kept in recovery for a bit longer as my BP was really low. Surgeon came to see me and said shed removed internal and external haemorrhoids, a rather large sentinel tag. She also said there was quite a few polyps which she removed and my fissure was still quite deep so she stitched that up.
I didn't leave the hospital til 8 o'clock but that was because of my low blood pressure !!! Slept like a baby all night. Am in a bit of pain. More a stinging sensation. Had my first BM bout an hour ago. I won't lie it was uncomfortable and bleed but alls I can say is to take the bowel softness as they help so much. I have had no spasms afterwards tho which feels sooooooo good!! I'll keep people updated but I am so glad now that I had surgery. What's the point in suffering when somebody can help you!!!
Ginnie xxxxxx
Ginniemac
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Operation yesterday!!!!

Postby workingonit » 25 Apr 2012, 09:16

Hi Ginnie,
That's great that you got the first BM out of the way already.
Are you on pain meds?
Hope you heal quickly for your cousin's wedding!!
Sounds like you will!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Ginniemac » 25 Apr 2012, 09:28

Hi Tanya
Yea I'm on paracetamol, ibuprofen, metronidazole and fybogel, lactulose and docusate. Seems to be keeping the pain at bay. Don't get me wrong it is so uncomfortable but keeping a positive mind for Saturday!!!! I can't drink as on the metronidazole but as long as I can get there that's the least of my worries!!!
So glad I had it done now tho Tanya. Will be worth it in the long run. I'll never let myself get in that state again though!!! Will be taking my IBS serious from now on and hopefully will never have to go through all this again!!!!
Ginnie xxx
Ginniemac
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 25 Apr 2012, 10:17

Ginniemac...
So glad your surgery went so well and with all that you had done that you are coming along so well already in your recovery! Yay! Image
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ginniemac » 25 Apr 2012, 11:10

I know!!! Yay!!!! Thanks for replying Tanya. Means a lot xxx
Ginniemac
Fibre Addict

Postby MelissaB » 25 Apr 2012, 12:38

all they gave me yesterday was percocet for the pain and to stay on fibercon/citrucel and colace. Wonder if that's not enough?
MelissaB
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby workingonit » 25 Apr 2012, 12:46

I hear you Melissa, about not making the same mistakes again!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Ginniemac » 26 Apr 2012, 03:11

Think I was a bit optimistic yday as today I feel like I've been hit by a bus!!! Just pain and bleeding. I've got a really sore chest too. Feel like I'm bruised inside but think that's from the way I was positioned when they were operating !!! Painkillers and rest for me today and hopefully feel but better Tom!!! Xx
Ginniemac
Fibre Addict

Postby Sue1962 » 26 Apr 2012, 05:38

Congrats on your surgery Ginnie!!!!! From what I am reading you had a hemorrhoidectomy, and that is a far more painful surgery than LIS, and has a longer recovery time. Hang in there and pamper your butt!!! Soak in the tub and take your meds on time, so you can stay ahead of the pain. Hope each day gets better for you!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Ginniemac » 26 Apr 2012, 07:33

Rrrr thank you sue. I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon. Had a nice soak in the tub and taking my painkillers and antibiotics so as you say think as long as I stick to that routine i should be ok. It's the best feeling having no spasms though and I actually feel as though I've had a proper BM when I go even if it has been painful. Think once I'm healed I'll be like a new wOman!!!! Xxxx
Ginniemac
Fibre Addict