Some good news.... I think!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Some good news.... I think!

Postby Sue27uk » 24 May 2012, 13:54

Well going to a different CRS has made the world of difference. For those of you who don't know, I have been suffering since last March. Went to see someone private today and he examined me. Was very good, and actually listened to me! He said that my fissure has healed but has done so in a strange way. There is what he called a slight track underneath the fissure site, so he has suggested under anaesthetic an examination, re-cutting the fissure to scrape and clean it, injecting botox at the same time and then using rectogesic while I have the botox. He reckons that will make it more comfortable and the cause of my discomfort is this slight track. I'm looking at this positively as at least I healed! This means I have the capacity to do so again and at least if the area is clean then I stand a better chance. I didn't ask but is this a fissurectomy? Anyone out there had this done and botox and know the recovery time? I only ask as I have to decide whether to pay for treatment (therefore able to choose when I have it done) or wait for the NHS again. Overall feeling more positive and hopeful again. Plus it has improved over the past week again and I finally feel like I'm winning! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: Some good news.... I think!

Postby BillUltra » 24 May 2012, 14:54

First of all, I'm so glad for you that you've healed and are on the right track! Sorry that you're still having a bit of discomfort. But I have to admit, the procedure the new CRS is describing sounds scary as hell to me. I don't even know what to think about that.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby 44alegna44 » 24 May 2012, 16:45

Sue,
Your relief comes across loud and clear, and I'm glad you've come away from your visit with a positive outlook on your ability to heal. Image Also, seeing a physician who shows genuine care and concern, as well as being thorough and informative , is so reassuring while moving forward. Image
This does sound like a fissurectomy, based on information I learned from others on the forum. I have not had this procedure myself, but have had lis w/tag and hemmie removal. IMO, I would say to anyone having
surgery, the absolute minimum you should allow yourself is 1 week to
recover. You need to take time to rest and follow all proper post-op
instructions to assist with initial healing and recovery. The ultimate
timeframe for recovery, if one could swing it, I would say is two weeks,
just extra time for reassurance because everyone's different when it
comes to healing.
Best wishes and keep up the positive outlook...that's such a big player with this condition Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jr2 » 24 May 2012, 17:34

Hi Sue,
I'm so glad to hear you've found a doctor you feel so good about and confident in!! Image
It doesn't sound like he would do a full fissurectomy, but something slightly more conservative, but the terminology is probably not all that important. The best news is that you are feeling so positive and hopeful and that you came away feeling like you've got a plan in place for treatment and healing!!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Sue27uk » 26 May 2012, 10:04

Thanks guys! Going to ring up for a price on Wednesday and go from there. Although I have hardly had any pain for 7 days now which makes me think twice. The fact it has not healed underneath though and there is a gap makes me think it will be easier for it to go again and getting it sorted once and for all may be the way to go. It just leaves me with one problem, I have an annoying stinging at the top (not near my 'O') and no creams work. I asked him about it and he examined me and said there was nothing there. I have used aloe vera, the only thing to ease it but thats stopped working at the min. Anyway will see my dermatologist about that as it may be external. Someone said it may be a pilonidal cyst but he would have found it if that was the case I know. So yes, overall more positive! Angel, spoke to my GP and he thinks it is a fissurotomy he is doing, so may be just a clean up of the area. Thank you so much for your good wishes. JR, I hope you are feeling better, I know you have been having a tough time :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby restoremybody » 31 May 2012, 15:06

Hey Sue please let us all know how this goes. My last CRS told me my fissure was "healed" but it hurts daily, all day, even ended up taking vicodin to get through yesterday. Maybe I need to go back myself?....
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby Baba » 31 May 2012, 15:36

BillUltra wrote:First of all, I'm so glad for you that you've healed and are on the right track! Sorry that you're still having a bit of discomfort. But I have to admit, the procedure the new CRS is describing sounds scary as hell to me. I don't even know what to think about that.

I agree; if I were healed I wouldn't let anyone near that part of me least of all with a scalpel!
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Badd825 » 01 Jun 2012, 05:24

I had Botox but no surgery. It made me feel worse. Quite frankly if I was pain free for 7 days I would thank my lucky stars and NOT let anyone near my butt with a q-tip never mind a scalpel. I think you should let yourself continue to heal. You are on the road to recovery. A little more time might be all you need. Good luck whatever you decide
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 01 Jun 2012, 19:55

Hi sue,
I had something exactly like you. I had a fissure that started healing from the top down, instead of bottom up so I had bridge of new skin over the fissure and then the tear was still open underneath. My doc did not think it would it heal on its own. He called it a fissure/fistula but it wasn't a true fistula. I had a fissurectomy only on April 26 this year. I'll be the first to admit that the month following the surgery was more painful to me than before but everyone handles pain differently. Just want to be honest with my experience.
I had a really bad week maybe a week ago and called my doc. He checked to make sure I didn't have an infection or abcsess. I didn't and it turns out I have two internal he miss that are actually causing the bulk of my pain now. Overall though he though Botox would help with pain management and continued healing of the fissure, which by the way is healing very well. Not gone but if I didn't have the hemmies it would the pain would be minimal. I had the Botox this past Tuesday and I was only a little extr sore for a day. The Botox in no way caused me additional pain. Granted, I'm not sure how well it's working, but my pain has gotten to point that ican now handle it and be patient for healing. So I feel that even if the botox hasn't really helped it didn't hurt. I wonder if my pain would have been less right after the fissurectomy if I had gotten Botox right away so I would do it. Hope this helps and you have speedy healing!
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Jun 2012, 11:47

Thank you for all your responses! Restoremybody, I will definitely let you know what happens. Suckdiddlyucksflanders, thank you so much for your response. It's so good to hear from someone who has been through it all and someone for who it seems to be working. My pain level isn't too bad, it's just the fact it keeps re-opening to be honest. I don't think it will get better on its own as long as its open underneath from what he said. I have decided to go ahead, although I am quite nervous about the actual procedure. I was offered the 9th June but am on jury service so they are letting me know the next available date. It is quite expensive but I would rather pay and have someone who I trust and knows what they're doing. I have learnt you can't put a price on your health can you. Will definitely let you all know how it goes and when I get a date, possible on this thread or one in the surgery section. Thank you again everyone, hope you are all having a good healing day! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist