New and rather fed up

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New and rather fed up

Postby ukguy » 31 May 2012, 05:32

Hello. Rather glad to find this forum. I'm feeling very low. In a nutshell got diagnosed with AF in February after a couple of months of what I wrongly assumed was piles.
Tried NitroGlycerin, no noticeable effect. Now doc has recommended Diltiazem which I just started using. The only thing that works for me is Dulcolax - I go (BM) once a day and I'm done, BUT, I know this isn't a long term solution so after 3 pain free weeks I switched to a stool softener and BANG, back to square 1. Back on Dulcolax, OK for a couple of weeks, transition to stool softener, BANG. And so on. I feel trapped now into a life of laxatives which I know is storing up problems, is not viable longer term and scares the heck out of me.
I have made huge changes to diet, drink tons of water, fresh fruit, cut back on alcohol, but still feel totally reliant on laxatives. I'm so scared of having to have surgery as a last resort and becoming an incontinent hermit for the rest of my life.
In my mid 40s and male, and being British feel very embarrassed by the whole thing.
Can I/should I try laxatives for longer, eg 8 weeks? Is that dangerous?
Any thoughts very much appreciated.
ukguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: New and rather fed up

Postby 44alegna44 » 31 May 2012, 19:40

Welcome ukguy and hope you find the support and helpful tips from the forum to see you through this Image
In the uk I think you have movical available as a laxative/stool softener. The equivalent here in the states is miralax...this is a supplement recommended by many physicians as safe for longer term use. Many of us here on the board use it and find it extremely helpful to assist with smooth and consistent bm's. I would suggest giving that a try and work with the dosage to find how much works best for you. I also take a dose of addt'l stool softener each day...this mix does the trick for me along with my "fissure friendly diet".
Are you doing sitz baths? These you should do always after a bm, and a couple more times throughout the day if possible. This helps relax the sphincter muscle and aids in stimulating blood flow to the area Image .
You may want to glance over the "tips" page as well, lots of in-sights from others of remedies that have been helpful Image .
I know you're really frustrated having to deal with this, but the added stress from this condition can have a negative impact on your healing Image . I don't know how to tell someone not to stress over it, but all I can say is please try...it's really not helpful at all...and is more likely than not hurtful.
Best wishes to you for peace and healing Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 03 Jun 2012, 13:55

Hi UKGuy,
I take lactulose twice (15ml) after breakfast and after my evening meal to keep stools soft. You can use this for as long as you need. It has no long-term effects just be sure to continue taking it at the same times. Just before I sleep, I have a tablespoon of olive oil, which is also safe and completely natural. Have to say I've not had a hard stool for months in the morning and it really helps keep things to a toothpaste consistency (although I do normally go twice with minimal pain)
I also take a fishoil capsule at lunch.
Can you reduce your dose of Dulcolax and start incorporating the lactulose/ olive oil? Perhaps that might help. I know it's helped me.
Sorry you're suffering. 40 and British too.....
Don't be embarrassed - I've found the more open I've been about it, the better, and received a great deal of support from people because of this.
Heal soon Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby pgre » 03 Jun 2012, 15:07

Hi ukguy,
I was on Miralax for 6 months straight, so I think you should be able to take laxatives for a longer period of time.I would give it at least 3-4 months.
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby ukguy » 04 Jun 2012, 17:13

Thanks everyone, some really helpful advice. I am give some of these ideas a go and will report back. Great site, very friendly, thanks again.
ukguy
Salt Bather

Postby BillUltra » 11 Jun 2012, 15:40

Just wanted to share this post that I've referenced several times on this forum:
http://anal-fissure.org/t4752-what-worked-for-me-what-didn-t-work
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby ukguy » 15 Jun 2012, 04:47

Just thought I would provide an update after 2 weeks.
1) Diltiazem didn't work, it hurt like heck and irritated causing even more soreness. I now use Dr Wheatgrass skin recovery cream and it works well.
2) Dulcolax (1 tab at night) has been working well. Bleeding stopped and pain all but gone. BM every morning, bit risky as I travel a lot and have to go immediately, but am then set up OK for rest of day. However, I am aware this can't be good long term and I have to find a way to wean off Dulcolax as I fear becoming dependent on it. This is my danger point. I've been here before and as soon I stopped taking Dulcolax, BANG, back to square 1.
After reading this site I am transitioning onto Movicol and just hope and pray I don't have a reaction to stopping the Dulcolax. I know it just takes 1 hard stool and all the good work is undone.
So:
1) Dr Wheatgrass
2) Movicol (2 sachets per day starting today)
3) Lots of water
4) Limited alcohol (England v Sweden tonight in Euros, will need a beer for that)
5) Healthy diet
6) Exercise
Here goes. Thanks for all the suggestions. Great site.
ukguy
Salt Bather