UK Newbie here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

UK Newbie here

Postby Sloane » 02 Aug 2012, 10:39

Afternoon ladies and gents. I've been keeping an eye on this place for a few weeks now. So, as you may kinda guess I'm here because of a dreaded AF, which I got around 6 or 7 weeks ago just as I finished uni. Started out with a visit to a GP, who gave a less than pleasant exam to diagnose me. I've been on Lactulose ever since and last week was prescribed Rectogesic. I started good on modifying my diet but recently have faltered and I need a little moral support to get back on that horse! I have a romantic get-away to Paris in a month and know its unlikely to be cured by then, but if I could get my reliance on softners down a little and maybe get to try one or two French dishes in without worrying like crazy what I eat I would be the happiest guy on earth! I'll post some more later but just wanted to say hello to everyone and it sort of feels good to put electronic pen to paper and tell someone without my OH/family raising eyebrows and what not!
Sloane

Topics: 1

Re: UK Newbie here

Postby Neen » 02 Aug 2012, 10:53

I had to have surgery , but I think you could be feeling pretty good in a months time if you follow a good diet and stick to it. It will be hard to do in Paris, but I am sure there are plenty of options for you that wont rip you a new one. Keep taking the stool softeners though, or Miralax...it will keep everything moving. Good luck and try try try your best to keep on good diet, I dont want you to miss your trip. I missed a trip to visit my daughter in Germany and also missed my son's college graduation. I guess what i am saying is that nipping it in the "butt" now will hopefully prevent you from missing out on things! :D
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sloane » 02 Aug 2012, 11:09

I'm in two minds as to whether I should give Miralax/Movicol a try. A lot of people on hear swear by it, but I was having some good success recently with the lactulose. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was healing okay until I started taking the rectogesic. Maybe its the insertion (just can't get used to it) and I wanted to stop it but I really should give it a go in order to try and avoid surgery.
I won't miss the trip either way, just would really suck to not try the food out. Before I got this AF, I was somewhat of a foodie, and whilst I can cut most things out rather easily, some things like bread and cheese are proving rather hard :(
Sloane

Topics: 1

Postby Neen » 02 Aug 2012, 11:20

Maybe give the movicol (thats what it is in UK, right?) a try now before you leave. See how it works for you. It is safe to take for extended periods, so it won't hurt you. And if you plan on eating bread and cheese, you will want it with you, or at least Milk of Magnesia or something. I didnt do the rectogesic either..but I was doing suppositores that ended up in the words of my surgeon"frying" the skin down there...ouchie. I dont think you can overdo your treatment and prevention with movicol. worth a try, right?
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Aug 2012, 13:56

I have been taking lactulose for a while now and recently switched to movicol. I was only taking one sachet a day but started to feel sick so went back to lactulose and taking one docusate sodium tablet at night. This seems to be working well again. Just drink plenty of water and eat the right things. I am 18months into this now, but wish my fissure had been diagnosed earlier. I started the rectogesic and am still using it now just after surgery. It will hurt a bit to apply at first but I suggest you keep going, you will learn to relax. I use a surical glove and cover it with clingfilm and have found this makes applying it easier. You can also use what they call a finger cot, I have never used this though. If the rectogesic doesn't work you can try diltiazem. I was told rectogesic is the best though. You have every chance of healing as its been identified early. Fingers crossed for you!! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Ever the Optimist » 03 Aug 2012, 03:19

Hiya,
I've taken Lactulose (twice daily) 20 ml since virtually day 1 when this all started and it's been great! Never had the Movicol as the Lactulose has always helped produce the soft BM's I need. I also take a tablespoon of olive oil prior to going to bed and swear by it!
I used the Diltizam and it worked wonders for me so just depends on the individual. You could try using a syringe to try and insert it? I know some people have tried that approach if it's been too painful to insert with a finger but Sue is right in that you just need to be relaxed, take a few deep breaths and be gentle with yourself and you do get used to it.
Truly all the best in your healing and I'm sure you're trip to Paris will be fine...Buy lots of fresh fruit and counteract any "bad" foods with good food and loads of water....Don't let it put you off your "life" and miss out on experiences you should be having. Just stock up too with baby wipes and painkillers and have a great time. Hopefully, you will be feeling much better by then too :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again