Hello from Ontario, Canada

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello from Ontario, Canada

Postby ficelle1 » 06 Nov 2012, 17:38

Wow. I've been playing this fissure dance for years and I didn't know it until this May. My doctor and I thought my condition was yeast or gluten intolerance or hemorroids. When I got a little irritated, I'd use some Polysporin. Then the cycle would continue. It would go away until I ran or exercised. It got so bad, I was seriously looking to jump off a bridge. Long story short, I saw a general surgeon last week. I am using Diltiazem 2% twice per day. I will see the surgeon again in January. If this doesn't work, next is Botox and after that, surgery. Once I started the Diltiazem, I became REALLY itchy. It was unbearable. I called my pharmacist and she was kind enough to give me some Xylocaine. The Xylocaine is giving me a few hours of relief and I am not clawing at myself in my sleep. I am taking Colace three times per day along with Benefibre in my meals. (No taste). So, I am doing all that I can to promote healing. No toilet paper, heat, baths, cotton balls. The surgeon said that the Diltiazem takes about 6 weeks for it to work. FFFFFFFFFFF
I am 49 years old, married with two grown boys. I am a part time fitness instructor and this lack of activity is making me a little nuts. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.
Thank you for providing this site. I have learned a lot while lurking. I am getting the Diltiazem where it NEEDS to be. I think there are two fissures.
I am interested in the surgery. I am a bit of a results person. I can't begin to think about living like this for the rest of my life. Thanks for listening. :) Normally, I'm a REALLY happy person.
ficelle1

Topics: 2

Re: Hello from Ontario, Canada

Postby Lauren12 » 07 Nov 2012, 13:13

Hi ficelle, welcome to the forum. :)
In connection with the itching with the Diltiazem cream, I'd just mention that I became allergic to it and developed a rash in the area plus itch. I wonder if something similar might have happened for you? I was using the cream for five months with no problems before becoming allergic to it however.
You're right that if Diltiazem is going to work, it should do so within 6 - 12 weeks. I was using it for so long because every time I saw the CRS I was consulting at the time, he said my fissure was healing, and to keep on using the cream. The result was that I was using it way longer than most people and perhaps that's why I became allergic to it.
After I stopped using the cream I had two botox procedures at six monthly intervals, but Botox didn't work for me although it improved things slightly. Eventually the LIS operation cured me and I'm fine now.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 07 Nov 2012, 14:56

Hi Ficelle,
Sorry to you have to join us on this great site! Best place to be with a fissure, for sure!
Normally, I too am a really happy person but this stuff got me down terribly too as it's so relentless.
Also interesting to hear that even the fittest of us are prone to the fissure. I wondered if mine was due to my lack of fitness at the time, but seems it affects just about anyone!...
After researching for some time, it does appear unfortunately that some people are definately cursed with THE Diliatezem itch and become allergic to it, hence a need to swap to the Recto. Fortunately for me, I was OK with it and used it twice a day for 7 weeks, after which the fissure appeared to have totally healed. Touch wood, that was 7 months ago now. You do need to use it for at least 6 weeks and I think up to about 8, when a CRS is normally able to tell whether it has helped. I truly hope it helps you too and sounds like you know exactly what you need to do to keep things under control.
Wishing you all the very best in getting rid of it all and hoping you get back to your old happy self VERY soon! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby ficelle1 » 07 Nov 2012, 20:29

Hey Lauren and ETO,
Thank you for the warm welcome. I am so happy to be here (sort of, you know what I mean!). I've already learned so much.
I am hanging tough with the Diliatezem. By using less and making sure I get the Diliatezem inside and using the Xylocaine cream I got from my pharmacist, I'm not nearly as snarly, LOL... I will continue with the Diliatezem twice a day until my follow up appointment in January. Fingers crossed that I heal. If not, I'm thinking I'd like to skip the Botox stage and talk surgery.
BTW, I think my fissure(s) are from chronic constipation.
Fit or not, I think anyone can suffer from them. Thank you again for the warm welcome and information.
ficelle1

Topics: 2

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 Nov 2012, 13:03

Ficelle,
Fingers crossed!
Hang in there if you can and hoping the Diltiazem will help you like it helped me. If you continue to feel better whilst using the cream, then it will be having an effect. You might not know for sure until you completely have to stop it and that was a scarey time for me as I was so reliant on it for the pain relief, but I was fine! They couldn't even see any evidence of the fissure at a following EUA.
Hoping you won't even get to the next stage!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again