No more nitro headaches??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

No more nitro headaches??

Postby ajl1239 » 29 Nov 2012, 11:10

Hi all,
I have been on nitro (rectiv 0.4%) now for about two weeks and am a bit concerned because I no longer get headaches. Does that mean it's no longer working? On balance, I feel like things feel a bit better, but today I'm still getting some spasms again for the first time in a while -- even after my morning nitro. Maybe I should take it 3x a day versus 2x? I guess I should keep hope -- NHS says that you should take it for up to 8 weeks...
ajl1239
Salt Bather

Topics: 31

Re: No more nitro headaches??

Postby suzyljank » 29 Nov 2012, 11:32

Hi, I use nitro sometimes too. I don't get the headaches much anymore but you have to remember not to use it continuously. You need to take a break for a few days because your body gets used to it. My instructions were 2-3 times a day for a week then stop for a day or two and start again. I find when I do this it's more effective for me. On the days I don't use it I make sure I lubricate well before I have a BM. If I'm spamming I sit on a heating pad. Hope this helps. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby phtgrphr18 » 17 Dec 2012, 21:04

I used NTG 0.2% (whereas Rectiv is 0.4%). After 2 weeks on the stuff (3x daily) I definitely became resistant. Resistance is a known problem with nitrate derived medicines (similar with the blood pressure meds). When I realized that the spasms were worse (although generally painless) just a few hours after applying/getting relief from the NTG, I decided to just get off the stuff. It took 2-3 days, and a whole lot of lube, before getting back to normal.
I never really got any bad headaches, but sometimes slight ones. Definitely less noticeable the longer I had been on it. Your vasomotor system gets resistant, too, so it has less effect on headache, etc.
phtgrphr18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby AGV » 07 May 2013, 07:36

I've suffered from migraines for years normally around 5-10 a month for which I take Zomig however unlike everywhere I'm reading when I started taking Rectogesic about 2.5 years ago my migraines reduced to 1 every 6 months if that. However now after 2 ops (the last being the worst thing ever) and my AF now fully healed I've stopped taking Rectogesic (about 3 months now) and the migraines have returned with a vengeance. I spoken to various doctors hospital/GP who've all said that's unusual as Rectogesic normally causes headaches (It never did with me) but have been at a loss to explain. I now take rectogesic every few days (even though I don't need it) and the headaches have again subdued...Any one else like this out there or am I just a one off?
AGV