I'm back! Re-tear, relapse, help please!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

I'm back! Re-tear, relapse, help please!

Postby sk22 » 02 Jan 2013, 02:52

Hello,
So it's been about 7 months since my last post.

run-down of what happened in April/May 2012:
- large bowel movement caused minor anal fissure (at least I think so); small amount of blood on tissue 3 times, then anal discomfort persisted.
- tried so many things to heal this, but my doctor and I came to the conclusion that my anal fissure actually healed, and the pain I was experiencing was just "after effects". he gave me voltaren (for muscular hip and buttock pain that he and I have come to believe is unrelated to this) and sent me on my way. This explanation didn't add up to me, and with a little online researching discovered I had developed periformis syndrome. Now, I have no idea if anal fissures are related to this condition, it doesn't seem to be -- but I think the fissure I had was the catalyst for this syndrome to start causing pain (general muscular gluteal pain that goes into lower back, legs, and feet). I know it's wrong to self diagnose, but I get anxiety about going to the doctors, and he never seems to actually help me (honest to god). The stretches I've been doing for PS have been helping a lot, and isn't what I'm here for.
- So my anal fissure was gone, looking back now, from two weeks to a month. The pain I was experiencing was not inside the anus (sorry for TMI) but in the general region of your butt. I don't think that's characteristic for anal fissures (it was that way, but only for the first few days I experienced blood on the toilet tissue).
- Been working to heal my periformis syndrome (which I still believed to be an anal fisure) since May. Did not find information on the condition until August 2012, so from April - August I was pretty much in agony all day, constantly with a heat bag/hot water bottle on me. Literally. Constantly. I didn't know what I had and sitz baths do nothing to help periformis syndrome. Thank god I found out about periformis syndrome -- doing stretches to target the inflamed muscle, I have seen pain greatly reduced in the 5 months I've been doing the stretches (though it is still definitely there).
- Now to the point of all of this. With the holidays wrapping up, my diet took a turn for the worse. I have been diligently taking magnesium supplements since May 1st 2012 (to avoid hard stools) but downgraded to a Calcium/Magnesium supplement in September (I didn't think I needed the hardcore stuff anymore, but I guess I was wrong). Less magnesium and more salty/sweet/fatty foods in the last two weeks have led toooo... a new anal fissure! yay. (heavy, heavy sarcasm)
- It's different this time. Had a small amount of blood on the toilet paper 2 days ago. The discomfort and pain I felt afterwards pretty much confirmed in my mind that I had an anal fissure again.
- I read on here that gas can make the pain worse? Because I have been relatively pain-free (though discomfort for sure) since I had my last bm (4 hours afterward I was fine). But I guess I've been gassy today and now, trying to sleep -- it hurts! I'm so scared to go to the bathroom tomorrow. I upped my magnesium and tried to eat more fibre, but other than that I haven't really been doing anything different.
- Any quick fixes here? I really, really don't want this to get worse. I'd like it to heal like it seemed to in May (though caused a whole different issue which made me think I had a chronic anal fissure that went on for months, until I learned about periformis syndrome). This is not periformis syndrome I'm sure of it. The pain is right in the exact location where you'd expect it to be...
- Basically just back here for some support. My family got so tired of dealing with my pain problem this summer and I try so hard not to complain about my butt/legs/hips bothering me (which is most of the time) but this pain is hard to ignore. It's so frustrating that it's just a cut, which would heal in no time if it were anywhere else. Sigh. I'm driving 4+ hours tomorrow and then walking around for the rest of the day so I really hope that goes well. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and be totally cured! I'm just really scared. Already a hypochondriac and the idea that my fissure has been in hibernation for the past 7 months only to come back worse scares me. Last May I was pretty much resolved that I would need LIS -- how little do I know, right -- my anal fissure was already gone by then! But it's just how I am, I'm always presuming the worst! I'm going to be buying the normal magnesium pills tomorrow so hopefully that helps. I don't have any creams or anything (other than preparation H -- yes, I used that in April when I had no idea what the heck was going on).
- This may be TMI, but looking back, I'm wondering if my use of toilet paper might have caused this a bit. I have a problem with recurring UTI's, so making sure everything is clean 'down there' is super important. I may have been rubbing too hard after BMs? I know everyone here recommends baby wipes, but do they really help? Worth buying?
- My bms were actually toothpaste consistency in the summer before I went on the Cal/Magnesium combination. If I can get them back to that point, hopefully, hopefully I'll get better.
Thank you so much if you got to the end of this! It's 4am here so I'm probably not as coherent and concise as I'd want to be. And my sincerest sympathies to anyone reading this whose ever had an AF. seriously. support to you from me.
Any advice you may have about healing a new anal fissure (what to do, what not to do) would be HUGELY appreciated. Image
sk22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: I'm back! Re-tear, relapse, help please!

Postby owmybum » 02 Jan 2013, 03:13

Hi sk22,
I can understand your feelings of angst and panic that your af has come back.... It's sooo soul destroying isn't it!
The good news is that last time you healed yourself with no surgical intervention... So you more than likely can do it again.
Get back to the regime you had before, that you know works for you... The magnesium, lots of fluids, eating a healthy diet... A soak in the bath, or a sitz bath is good.
Try to stay positive..try to stay as calm as possible ..we are all here to support you.
Wet wipes are a good idea... So is a blob of Vaseline on your anus just before a bm.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby cherylk » 02 Jan 2013, 19:12

SK22,
I would give you these suggestions--use cotton pads for wiping, ditch the TP, try the squatting position, use vaseline b/4 BM's, try using Miralax (at whatever does works for you) to keep your stools soft, read the sticky thread Kim posted here to learn as much info as you can about having an AF__
http://anal-fissure.org/t1849-i-have-an-af-what-should-i-know,
think about trying an ointment such as diltiazem (needs a Rx), and try to relax. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby owowow » 03 Jan 2013, 08:51

SK22,
it's very depressing when a fissure recurrs - you got all my smpathy.
for me healing the fissure seems to be about diet and hygiene.
Diet first: I find it best to eat smallish regular meals. Avoid all "dangerous" foods as much as possible. I try not to eat any of the following:
refined grains, confectionary, cakes and biscuits,wheat ,pasta, red meat, dairy products, eggs, coffee, tea,sugary soft drinks and alcohol.
experiment with "good" foods untill you get easy BMs.
fruit and vegetables, brown rice, fruit juice (especially prunes), wholegrains, yoghurt, small amounts of white meat and fish. boil veg to soften them up. soak fruits and dried fruits in water to make a compot.
use a stool softener untill bms are less painful. i use lactulose which seems to help.
hygiene is just a question of keeping clean. which can be difficult if you are in a lot pain. baths help and wet wipes. or i use cheaper alternative of johnson's baby lotion and regular toilet tissue.
and THE most important is to keep positive. healing (for me at least) never seems to be smooth path. there is always the occassional day when things seem to worse than the day before rather than better. look for small gains. don't get too disappointed if things go backwards a little. look at the bigger pattern. never mind pain is worse than yesterday - is it better than last week?
for me it's really about comittment to this kind of regime. if i stick to it rigorously things clear up. if i don't (one coffee and a bacons sandwich won't hurt - i've been so good!) things invariably get worse rather than better.
one last tip. it's difficult but try to look on the fissure as a blessing rather than a curse. a fissure is not life threatening and my diet has improved beyond all recognition since I have had a fissure. I'm sure it has added years to my life expectancy!
owowow
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 1497 » 03 Jan 2013, 17:13

Hi,
I am also back. One truly really good thing is the People on here are still here helping. I just started, yesterday olive oil a Tablespoon of it. What type of Olive oil are you all taking on here, boy the taste is bad. I have Extra Virgin Olive oil.
I find for me oatmeal in the morning helps allot, i add ground flaxseed. with high fiber toast, its good, and healthy and easy. Also you don't get hungry quickly. I myself don't take calcium/magnesium vitamins as calcium for me can help make me constipated.
These are challenges, when this happens time seems to drag to become healed. I Wish the Best and Excellent healing.
I have put together a excellent diet that seems to work for me. If any of you want any part of it I can post it.
thanks again
Deleted User 1497

Postby marg6043 » 04 Jan 2013, 09:20

sk22, by the way of your post you are stressing right now, need to calm down and take it easy, or the pain and discomfort will increase mentally more than physically, then tension will affect you even more in the area.
Just do what already the other members have posted to help you and keep the area lubricated before the next BM, that is a plus.
I hope things get better for you. But please take it easy on yourself, you know as well as we do that this things comes and goes and we all been there in pain.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby owowow » 05 Jan 2013, 04:04

perfecteater wrote: I have put together a excellent diet that seems to work for me. If any of you want any part of it I can post it.

hello perfecteater - yes i'd be very interested in more info on your diet plan. thank you :)
owowow
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 06 Jan 2013, 06:37

Yes..... I would be interested to hear your diet too perfecteater.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Fernie1 » 09 Jan 2013, 00:12

I too would like to know more about ur diet plan Perfecteater.Thanks :)
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Fernie1 » 09 Jan 2013, 00:13

Fernie1 wrote:I too would like to know more about ur diet plan Perfecteater.Thanks :)
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3