GI treat AF? Psyllium Fiber :(

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

GI treat AF? Psyllium Fiber :(

Postby Penton » 28 Jan 2013, 20:04

I have an appointment with a GI and I was wondering whether they treat anal fissures or not. I just don't know what else to do and I am very anxious about all this. Also, I'm taking Metamucil; however, when I have a BM they are soft but very long and it tears my skin every time for which I bleed considerably. Any suggestions on how to take the Metamucil (Psyllium Fiber)?
Penton

Topics: 2

Re: GI treat AF? Psyllium Fiber :(

Postby jr2 » 28 Jan 2013, 20:57

Hi Penton,
Sure, GI docs can treat fissures, but not all of them know a lot about fissures, so it really all depends on the doctor you go to. A GI doctor won't perform surgery, but can help you with a topical prescription to begin with to get you started. Generally speaking, you want to see a colorectal surgeon, who will be able to evaluate you most thoroughly and will also be able to provide surgical treatment or Botox if either of those are treatment choices you and your doctor want to make.
Metamucil causes BMs that are too bulky for me. I eat a lot of veggies and some limited fruit, and I also use acacia fiber, which doesn't bulk things up too much, but rather just softens. Metamucil works great for some people, just not a good choice for me.
jr2

Topics: 15