Fissure after childbirth

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Fissure after childbirth

Postby Mummy88 » 14 Jan 2014, 03:13

No, I'm in the Uk and I think I need a precription for it... Will def ask my Dr about it on Thursday though!
Mummy88
Fibre Addict

Postby Newmommy28 » 15 Jan 2014, 15:56

Have to chime in here, as I'm going through the same thing! I also was wondering if quitting bfing would make a difference.

I had our son 9/28- worst labor ever and postpartum period. I'm pretty sure my fissure happened the beginning of November. I don't know if its gotten any better.

The advice on here has been helpful. I'm using diltiazem but I don't know if its really working. Actually today I didn't use it and I'm in quite a bit of pain so I'm wondering if it really was helping!

I've been struggling with insomnia so I tried taking calcium magnesium citrate last night. Well, I had 2 huge soft bowel movements this morning, which is interesting why I'm in so much discomfort right now.

Anyway let us know what your dr says! I've gone back and forth with getting the procedure done, but we also want to have children too. And my husband and I haven't been able to have sex even though its been 4 months- I'm so afraid of making this fissure worse. It really sucks and can ruin your life.

I hope you're having a better day:)
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby FDP » 15 Jan 2014, 16:31

Hi Newmommy28, sorry to hear you are suffering.. just want to say that I've been having sex and it never caused a re-tear. Have to take it really slowly anyway because i had an episiotomy and its still a little bit sore even today but still really enjoyable once you get into it. Try not to let this get you down. the fissure takes away enough of the good things from your life, don't let it take sex too!! it will only add to your depression and you need to try make yourself happy at every chance. Just make sure you are in control when doing it and you'll be fine.
FDP
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Mummy88 » 16 Jan 2014, 05:54

Sorry to hear you're also suffering newmommy28 it's awful isn't it! Especially with a new baby to care for! But like FDP says, don't let this take sex too! I've had sex a handful of times since DS was born and it hasn't really affected the AF at all...though tbh between my DS barely sleeping and the AF pain I havent had much time or inclination for sex lol

My Dr prescribed Retrogesic and Movicol for me this morning, hopefully this will help me heal this thing! She told me my tear was medium sized and I've got a small skin tag too :/ but after a blood and painfree BM this morning I'm hopeful things could be getting better soon - fingers crossed! Will keep updating... Good luck to all!!
Mummy88
Fibre Addict

Postby FDP » 16 Jan 2014, 14:29

Hi Mummy88, that's good to hear! AF's can be sneaky though. one day they seem like they are gone and then bang, its back again and you get super depressed because you thought it was all over. so stay vigilant with your diet, movicol & rectogesic for a couple weeks after its all healed just in case. No blood is definitely a good sign that your body is repairing itself so you are on the road to recovery, yay! if you have any setbacks just look at them as learning curves, try remember what or how much you ate that may have caused it and avoid doing that again for a while. its all trial and error but you'll work it out eventually. Good luck to you too xx
FDP
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Newmommy28 » 16 Jan 2014, 20:16

Thanks you guys. I'm going to the bum doctor tomorrow. I'm hoping she'll tell me that there has been some progress with the healing compared to 4 weeks ago.

I am anxious about sex but you are right- I can't let this take that away from me, too! Glad to hear you both have been able to enjoy it ok. That does make me feel better.

One thing I've noticed a lot recently is a ton of pressure down there. It almost feels vaginal and its usually at the end of the day. I have a bm first thing every morning, then spasms 30 minutes to an hour that pretty much last til bedtime. Anyway I'm wondering if the pressure I'm feeling is from the fissure or normal postpartum stuff or if something has prolapsed which would not be cool. Have either of you experienced the same? Going to ask the doctor about that too.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Mummy88 » 17 Jan 2014, 05:40

Let us know what your Dr told you - hopefully there's been an improvement! I also feel a lot of pressure down there (to the extent that I find it very difficult to apply the Rectogesic!) however for some reason I haven't had spasms in quite some time and my pain is a LOT better despite bleeding at almost every BM.... AFs are a weird thing!! Get your Dr to check you out though.

Does your Dr have an opinion as to having more kids post surgery? Like you I would like another child and I'm worried about possible effects following childbirth (I have a feeling that I will eventually have to succumb to surgery :()
Mummy88
Fibre Addict

Postby Bettyblue » 17 Jan 2014, 05:43

This pressure you are feeling is coming from the fissure I am sure. When you have a fissure your sphincter contracts trying to protect the anus from the wound you have. That's when you gent into spasms and then comes the feeling like a tennis ball has set down in your bum,you feel super tight. It is an awful feeling. I hope every thing goes well and you will be able finally to heal. Best of luck.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Bettyblue » 17 Jan 2014, 06:06

I wanted to say something about having children post LIS. I just had the surgery 2 days ago and I am doing very well. I am only 30 years old and I never have had children. My CRS assured me there will be no problems whatsoever to have children in the future. He put me in contact with 2 patients of him that had children post-LIS to ease my fears. Both of them had natural child births after the operation without any problem. I agonized for weeks about the operation. But at the end I did it because the fissure was taking over my life, ruining my social life and starting to affect my job. I figured out that in the state I was I could not have children any way. And there is always the option of a c-section or adoption. Any way I have read a lot of post in this site and got the conclusion that every CRS have a different opinion referring to LIS . At the end the decision is always ours.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Newmommy28 » 17 Jan 2014, 14:08

Thanks everyone. Dr went over surgery details with me today. She made it sound like a fairly simple procedure. She couldn't guarantee me anything though (of course). But she reassured me her motto is to err on the side of caution.

Anyway I'm in quite a bit of pain today, and the pressure I was talking about is driving me crazy. The dr recommended kegel exercises. I'm also interested in doing physical therapy to strengthen the pelvic floor. To be honest, I was afraid of doing them. Kind of felt like it may irritate the fissure, but it sounds like I am worrying too much.

I hope everyone is having a better, painless day. :)
Newmommy28
Salt Bather