Takeing Protein shakes but also eating fiber through foods.

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Takeing Protein shakes but also eating fiber through foods.

Postby John75 » 15 Mar 2013, 15:45

Does anyone on here drink Protein shakes and workout and feel like no matter how much fiber you eat it still doesnt help? I have had to resort to Mirlax every night for like 2 years and that still didnt seem to work so I have now added 3 colace a day. Wondering if others had experienced knife like bowel movements even though they eat plenty of veggies, drink tons of water, and get adequate amounts of fiber in. I am almost two weeks removed from LIS surgery and it wasnt from being unhealthy. My Diet was perfect and I still ended up in this situation. Curious to hear if anyone else experienced problems while eating very clean and excercising religiously but no matter what would have sharp bowel movements.
John75
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Takeing Protein shakes but also eating fiber through foods.

Postby Rachael 1984 » 15 Mar 2013, 16:03

Yes John, this happens to me! At my wits end, I think you need less fibre and protein bulks up too, so maybe the combination of the 2 is bulking everything up too much?
I am under a dietician now too, and she said that too much fibre can be an enemy. Soluble fibre softens stools more than insoluble. Also unrefined foods like dried pasta, reheated potato are hard to digest.
I have switched to more fish. Although the dietician said my diet is healthy, I still may be eating things that aggravate my IBS.. And it goes on.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby coconut » 15 Mar 2013, 16:17

How are your bowels? Are they still hard? Because if you still have pain, that could just be the fissure, and not pain from constipation. If the pain is not from constipation (or even just normally slightly hard stools) diet/laxatives aren't going to solve it.
If your protein drink is whey based, there is a chance that this is making things worse. Dairy causes problems for a lot of people with bowel problems.
I had a super good diet and I was exersizing, but this did not heal the fissure. Its really tempting to say that its unfair, but that's life. I blame it on the American Protestant mentality. We want to believe that if we are in pain, its because we've sinned. We've done something to deserve it. Sometimes, pain just happens to good people. At other times, we need to take an honest look at ourselves and realize that our lifestyle could use some improving. Its something only you can determine.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby John75 » 16 Mar 2013, 10:31

Hey Cocunut there still is some pain but the other day it did feel hard at first and there was some blood. I was worried because I dont want to rip the fissure again. It was like the stool didnt move and than came out hard at the very first second but than was all soft. very weird! So I upped the Colace and that has helped the last couple days with the Mirlax. Its so unfair Coconut why are we made to be punished i have Friends that workout drink protein shakes like crazy eat waaaaay less fiber and veggies than i do and have absoulutely no problems. I workout religiously eat so well actually measure my protein and take in well over 50-60 grams of fiber a day and my body weight in protein and still continue to have problems. Your right the diet and laxatives arent going to solve the pain just yet the fissure is still healing and needs time. The only thing is its so discouraging that we have to resort to laxatives and stool softners to go regular but it is what it is. As for the protein I am reasearching what i can do to combat that if its whey or what it is some people say just protein in general does it. So difficult when your in body building and your body needs protein to build muscle there has to be a way to combat it. Rachael I have also switched to more fish to keep bowels soft, gosh what I would do for a steak right now! Im really trying to improve my lifestyle though coconut Ive cut down on some protein so far its helping but as of now I more so know its the stool softners and mirlax doing the work. When the fissure fully heals im gonna experiment with different fibers, as of right now I just cant take a chance until this thing heals.
John75
Fibre Addict

Postby delasama » 16 Mar 2013, 11:34

My crs said that experts suggest about 30 grams of fiber a day. I used to have the same poops as you (hard tip then the rest super soft). I have really soft poops now with miralax and soft diet and tons of water. I take half cap of miralax in morning and a full cap at night.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby coconut » 16 Mar 2013, 11:49

John75 wrote:Hey Cocunut there still is some pain but the other day it did feel hard at first and there was some blood. I was worried because I dont want to rip the fissure again. It was like the stool didnt move and than came out hard at the very first second but than was all soft. very weird! So I upped the Colace and that has helped the last couple days with the Mirlax. Its so unfair Coconut why are we made to be punished i have Friends that workout drink protein shakes like crazy eat waaaaay less fiber and veggies than i do and have absoulutely no problems. I workout religiously eat so well actually measure my protein and take in well over 50-60 grams of fiber a day and my body weight in protein and still continue to have problems. Your right the diet and laxatives arent going to solve the pain just yet the fissure is still healing and needs time. The only thing is its so discouraging that we have to resort to laxatives and stool softners to go regular but it is what it is. As for the protein I am reasearching what i can do to combat that if its whey or what it is some people say just protein in general does it. So difficult when your in body building and your body needs protein to build muscle there has to be a way to combat it. Rachael I have also switched to more fish to keep bowels soft, gosh what I would do for a steak right now! Im really trying to improve my lifestyle though coconut Ive cut down on some protein so far its helping but as of now I more so know its the stool softners and mirlax doing the work. When the fissure fully heals im gonna experiment with different fibers, as of right now I just cant take a chance until this thing heals.

That hard tipped stool seems to be a common problem. I just had that this morning and its really painful. Also hard to manage, because the rest of the stool is so soft that more laxative is likely to cause diarrhea. On one of the other threads, someone said that using glycerine suppositories before a BM helps him. I'm not going to do that because I just had surgery and I'm worried about putting anything new up there. One thing that did help me, and I used today without harm, is Calmol4 suppositories. They are made out of cocobutter. Basically, they coat the poo so that its easier to pass. Other users have also advised me to spread out the laxatives that I am using and see if that helps.
With AF, you need to be super gentle with yourself. Often, athletes are not gentle with themselves. They push themselves to the limit. But that's going to make healing harder. I don't know what your training schedule is like, but it might be worth it to take a close look to see if you can ease up a bit for a few weeks. In the long run, a lot of athlets often find that when they do so, they come back even stronger. The body needs a break from time to time.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby John75 » 17 Mar 2013, 10:43

I know its soooo hard for me to take a break because training is my life I hate to stop. I had to take a week off from training following the surgery and it drove me nuts. In fact my diet was worse from just sitting home and not being able to do nothing! It was annoying but at the same time I realised I have to heal. Yes the Hard tipped bowel is what got me here in the first place. So odd Coconut! would eat tons of vegetables and grains and drinks gallons of water a day and that still wouldnt work. Yeah I definatly dont wanna use a suppository because the surgery is almost two weeks out. Its starting to heal some there is some discomfort still with bm but morning time is prob the most. That fear of the knife coming out lol! calm014 I will look into it. Hopefully when this thing heals i wanna switch to metamucil and colace instead of always takeing Mirlax. I just fear it may not work as well and my body has become dependent on the mirlax. Thanks for the help though I wanna look up this Calm14.
John75
Fibre Addict

Postby coconut » 17 Mar 2013, 11:00

^the product is called calmol 4, but together in one word. Presumably at some point there was a calmol 1,2+3.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby John75 » 17 Mar 2013, 11:07

Oh Ok calmol4 I see with a L. Lol
John75
Fibre Addict

Postby Rachael 1984 » 18 Mar 2013, 04:34

I feel it is so unfair too John. I find myself looking at people and they eat so much junk and are out of shape, they don't have fissures?! So not fair. I am really down at the moment with the whole thing. I had a bit of an uncomfortable BM this morning. Bit harder than usual, god knows why didn't go out of routine. Eek this is hard work, and still no light at the end of the tunnel.....
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!