For the ladies - vicious cycle

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

For the ladies - vicious cycle

Postby sufferer » 01 Apr 2013, 01:12

There are many posts about the yo-yo effect during the healing of AFs. The good days and back days seem to be a part of the healing process. In my case, I've noticed that the menstrual cycle has a connection with the BM. Constipation in the days before a period is common. A week after my period, BMs are soft, manageable leading to less pain. By 15-18 days post periods I feel like I'm that close to healing, with almost zero pain. Then a few days before periods I get harder BMs, start getting abdominal cramps, bloated, and that is usually when I retear! So by the next period I am back to square one. Has anyone else experienced this? This just seems like a vicious cycle I'm unable to break. Hormones have a huge impact on BM.
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: For the ladies - vicious cycle

Postby owmybum » 01 Apr 2013, 02:42

Yes!!
I posted similar about a week ago about all my symptoms becoming worse in the week leading up to my period.
It affects bms, I feel super sore down there... Like some one has been at it with a cheese grater! And very puffy and tender.
Sometimes... I hate being a woman!!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sufferer » 01 Apr 2013, 05:41

I agree OMB. I feel the same! All the success stories that I have heard of in-person are all from men! looks like it is harder in case of women, simply because of this vicious cycle!
sufferer
Salt Bather

Postby Venty » 01 Apr 2013, 09:59

I agree. I feel the worst just before my period. During the period, my stools get extra soft and the pain is less but never zero. I'm sure this has always been the case but I never felt anything different because the fissure wasnt there.
I've already had an LIS which didn't work. a second surgery is suggested but I'm now wondering if this cycle is to continue, then surgery or not, I will always be in pain. That's a scary thought. Just hope women can heal too :(
Venty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby sufferer » 02 Apr 2013, 07:26

Yes I too am desperately looking for a woman sharing her experience of healing without surgery...hope there are some ladies who do, despite this annoying cycle.
sufferer
Salt Bather

Postby minky999 » 02 Apr 2013, 08:50

Hey,
are you taking a stool softener? i had the same problem the first time i had my period after getting an AF- now my routine is a bit different as soon as i know i am getting closer to my period:
1) i soak 5-8 prunes in hot water for at least 1 hour, then eat them and drink the water. Usually 1 hour before bedtime
2) I drink 2 to 3 cups of warm water from the tap- this is an extremely helpful stool softener! sometimes I add a lemon to the water, it may make you feel sick, but you will hear your stomach start making noises right away.
3) Additionally, I drink another 3 cups of warm tap water first thing in the morning- seriously work like a charm!!
4) I take 2 docusate sodium and 1 dose of miralax everyday( even after my period).
with these routine my bm's are actually extra soft and I am able to go through my period without major problems. As for the pain some women feel, it does not necessarily mean that your fissure has worsened. Many studies have found that women are more sensitive to pain during their periods, so I would say that is pretty normal to feel more pain during this delicate stage. As long your bm's are not extremely hard or bulky I would not worry so much.
good luck!
minky999
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Luka » 02 Apr 2013, 14:12

I experience the same thing, although the PMS part is the worst for me. I get really bloated from all the water retention and just feel worse in general. My digestive system gets out of whack, too. Usually I have looser stools, though, not constipation. I drink more water and eat more fruit just to be safe, though, since sometimes my cycles are unpredictable.
I wish there was a way to bypass the whole period thing, but there really isn't (unless you get a hysterectomy, that is). I never plan on having kids (personal choice), so having a period is a major burden. I'm on birth control pills, but I still get bad PMS and bloating. The periods are shorter and lighter, though. But the PMS is the worst part for me (bloating, tenderness, increased anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc.).
And, yes, tolerance to pain decreases when you get your period due to the drop in estrogen and prostaglandins. That's what I've read.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby sufferer » 03 Apr 2013, 06:57

Thanks minky999, Luka. Yes hard bulky stools pre period is my major problem. I too drink warm water. That takes care of the urge to go but the stool consistency is very hard to maintain pre-period. The same diet gives me soft bms on other days, not pre period.
sufferer
Salt Bather

Postby muzgut22 » 21 Apr 2013, 10:51

Sufferer, thanks for posting this. I feel like I have been on a vicious cycle, and emotional rollercoaster for weeks. I seem to get better for a few weeks and then out of nowehere, bam, retear. It's devastating. After reading this I am realizing it might be linked to my period. I'm feeling extra low today as I had been pain free for almost 3 weeks and had a retear that seemed to come out of nowhere. The only thing I can think of is I had some cookies Friday night. It's so depressing that a couple cookies could lead to a retear. I have been fortunate that my spasms have never been unbearable, but more than the physical pain, it's the psychological aspects that get to me. I worry constantly. And after being pain free for a few days I am ecstatic only to become devasted after a retear. I don't know how to get past this :( :( :(
muzgut22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby delasama » 21 Apr 2013, 23:00

You can alter your diet to include lots of high-fiber foods, whole grains and vegetables, and limit intake of extra salt, dairy, sugar, alcohol, spicy foods, and caffeine. You can manage or decrease stress by using relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation or by talking with someone. Regular exercise is also recommended during your premenstrual and menstrual period, which can help reduce stress and help your digestive system function more smoothly.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31