Fissurectomy & Botox this morning........

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Fissurectomy & Botox this morning........

Postby Rachael 1984 » 29 May 2013, 04:15

Hi Jill, Hope the days get better for you, i am rooting for you...... Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Guest » 30 May 2013, 06:11

Don't worry about the pain. You will have to endure it for two to three weeks only. Please do not lay on your back. Try sleeping on your side. Yes, it does hurt a lot, but it will soon be gone once and for all. I don't know how to say this, but please avoid painkillers as much as possible. If you can't, then increase your intake on stool softeners (the pill version), one
pill at a time.
Also, I would like to add that it is possible to reduce your pain medication dosage by breaking the pill. I was prescribed Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 10-325 T and have been successful in completely avoiding it. However, I did confirm from the doctor that in case I would like to have a smaller dosage, then would it be ok to break the pill into half?. "Absolutely" he said. (You may confirm this with your own surgeon).
Apart from the stool-softener pills, a dose of Miralax should be continued without fail at night. The pain after every BM should and will subside, one week at a time. For example, the first week the pain will last 6 hours, second week 4 hours.. and so on. Yes, the pain would be intense, because of the pressure and raw wound, but you should be able to endure it with the help of sitz bath and lots of rest. I hope you are not avoiding sitz bath like I did. MY on-call doctor literally yelled, because I chose the ice-pack regime instead of sitz bath. Well, i found placing ice-packs very convenient, but he reminded me that sitz bath relaxes the pelvic floor. Also, it is the only therapy that is able to target such a weird spot very well for quick healing.
Sending lots and lots and lots of healing vibes again.

Postby jillywilly » 30 May 2013, 08:33

Mabs, thanks for your very helpful advice, i'm laying on my side typing rather than my back while writing this!! I was told by nurse at the hospital to avoid sitting in the bath for first 2 weeks due to risk of infection so I've been using the showerhead instead however think I'll go back to baths now, as I'm not getting much bleeding now so hope infection risk is low. I had another painful bm this morning (stools still soft & easy to pass though) did take pain killers after but only taking them when i really need to & trying to be as mentally more positive as i can.
Can I ask you how long ago you had your fissurectomy?
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Guest » 31 May 2013, 07:16

March 21.. a little over two months. I am so glad to hear that your stools are soft, which means that your diet is under control. Just keep eating the same thing, every day, and at the same time for four weeks at least. Soft BM is the key to speedy recovery. You may use the shower head too if it eases the pain, just like I used the ice packs, but sitz bath is a must. However, if the nurse has forewarned you, then follow her advice. Or, better yet, get a second opinion from the doctor himself.
I bled during my first and second BM. This is when I panicked and called my on-call doctor (coz it was a weekend). I had strained or pushed to get my first BM out, which was hard like a rock. I was surprised that after pushing so hard, only two small size marble shaped stools fell. Fresh blood was stuck to it. Then during my second BM too, I pushed harder, this time there was a little more blood than the first time. Again, the BM too was just a little more than the first one. When I inquired, the doc mentioned that the blood was a result of straining. He added, "There is no need to push. What goes in, will come out. You just have to relax and wait" Then he asked me three questions 1) are you sitz bathing 2) are you eating enough fiber 3) are you drinking lots of fluid.
Well, the answer to the first question was an immediate "No". I told him, I can't sit because it hurts. That's when he told me about the importance of relaxing the pelvic floor and how sitz bathing helps to do that. Well, I also had to Google it to find the extended version of what he said :) .. Our colon passes through the pelvic floor. So if that is not relaxed, the muscles around the pelvic floor contract and the passage gets narrower. Then I thought to myself, why the heck botox was injected?.. Wasn't it suppose to do the job of relaxing. Well.. i was surprised to know that botox only relaxes the INTERNAL sphincter muscle. Botox is a temporary fix, and your LIS (done earlier) surgery happens to be a permanent fix to relax the sphincter muscle. You are in a better position than I am, because mine will wear off after three months. There ...! this statement must have surely uplifted your mood now !
Well, I took his advice and started stiz bathing immediately. Here's a detailed info on my BM. I had surgery on Thursday morning, my first BM was Friday night, second BM was Saturday morning.. Then I called my on-call doc, and had a short 15 minute version of sitz bath. That afternoon, I had my third BM which was a relaxed, smooth and a complete one. I felt so relieved ... but then came the misery.... pain pain pain.... I can't believe it started hurting, AFTER all that gunk was out.
To the second question on fiber, my answer was "Yes". However, just for fun, I asked my husband to calculate everything I ate (I ate vegetables like a cow). Even though my diet was full of vegetables, when we both counted the fiber, it was barely 15 g. (recommended fiber is 25-30 for ladies) So I opted to drink Metamucil (clear version) in the morning, bought soup cans high in fiber, just so that I know the exact value of fiber intake, and also bought lots of fruits with vitamin C. (soup cans were a blessing because I had no one to take care of me. My husband could only take two days off from work and so, a day after the surgery, I was by myself with my cell phone hanging around my neck. My husband got everything else ready before leaving to work. He use to clean the bathtub everyday (just for hygienic purposes and to avoid infection). Had bottles of water and soup cans ready, cut up fruits, and cut up broccoli, a vegetable that came as a blessing before the surgery ..which i thought of eating after the surgery too, without fail. Broccoli was missing in the soup so I had to add that vegetable.) I use to have two BMs everyday without straining. Doctor had advised three sitz baths of 30 minutes each. My two sitz bath rituals were already taken care of during my two BMs. However, I would do the third sitz bath right before going to bed. (this is an understatement, because all day I was in bed anyway :) ).
Now, the third question about fluid. I was glad that this was the only thing that I was doing absolutely right. The doctor had mentioned nine glasses in total. Well, I drank little more than half a bottle every hour. However, to double check this, I asked my nurse "How do I know if my fluid intake is right?". She said, urine should be pale yellow. There.. finally, some relief !
So, don't worry. Right now everything would look like as though nothing is working, but soon after a month, things start turning around. :) I worried a lot too. Also, I had to find out from the doc if the bleeding and pushing had affected my surgery or prolonged my recovery period. He said "the fissurectomy procedure is done in such a way that it would heal the fissure no matter what. Stress or bleeding will not hamper the healing process" There... another relief statement for ya. Whether you worry or not, the healing is bound to happen. :D

Postby jillywilly » 03 Jun 2013, 04:31

It's now been 12 days since my fissurectomy & Botox I'm still struggling with pain after bm. I stated taking magnesium 1 week ago & I'm wondering if that's making my stools too loose cos I've been going every morning almost as soon as I get up (I'm taking 300mg of magnesium before bed) a couple of mornings I then have a 2nd bm a few hours later even though I havnt yet eaten anything! My daily diet consists of porridge/bran cereal with soya milk & blueberries for breakfast, wholemeal pitta & salad for lunch, chicken & steamed veggies for dinner or homemade vegetable soup & high fibre crackers & the occasional small baked potato & i'm drinking loads of water. The last 4 days my stools have been loose which while makes them easy to pass I'm still having pain after bm which is lasting several hours. It is eased my sitting in a warm bath & then just laying still any attempt to stand up & move around hurts like he'll. maybe it's just still early days but I'm struggling to get my stool consistency right & deal with the pain!! Could it be the magnesium affecting me ?? Should I stop taking it?? I don't take any other supplements at all, never really been a great one for taking things like that but I'd read so much about it on this site I thought I'd give it a try.
Any advice?
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2013, 06:47

I have sent you a PM. Please let me know if you don't see it in your inbox.

Postby pinpin » 07 Jun 2013, 07:18

Hope you are better by now!
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby jillywilly » 07 Jun 2013, 10:58

Unfortunately I'm not better yet! It's been 15 days since my operation & it stills hurts! My bm's are soft & easy & once a day but I'm still having pain after wards that lasts for several hours. It's relieved by a warm bath & laying still any kind of movement is really painful. I guess it's just a matter of time but I am feeling a bit fed up with it all! I wish I could be pain free.
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 07 Jun 2013, 14:42

Hi Jilly,
Your diet is very similar to my daily intake of food and actually your BM pattern too. I also take 300mg of Magnesium before I go to bed and pretty much wake up to a BM urge and then another BM later anytime between lunch time and late afternoon. I also have incredibly soft stools. I've been taking Magnesium for just over two weeks, having substituted it for Lactulose. I think at this stage and given your surgery, you need to be opting for softer than soft stools so as to prevent any form of straining (Do you feel they are too loose? Are you going more often than you normally would?) and if you want to stop using the Magnesium, ensure you switch immediately to an alternative stool softener. However, I would suspect that no matter what stool softener you go for at this stage, you would still endure that post BM pain because it is still early days and part of the recovery process. You do know your body best, so trust your instincts on this one and what helps you best through this situation. Keep on top of the pain killers, keep resting up and hopefully you'll feel better & better as the days pass. All the very best & heal soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby saintkilledher » 07 Jun 2013, 21:49

ask youre doctor about botox and skin tag removal and the possibility of scarring from it
botox gave me scarring wich has led to anal stenosis/narrowed rectum.
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16