Stool too soft?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Stool too soft?

Postby chachacha » 18 Jun 2013, 08:13

Does anyone else have stool that is ALWAYS too soft?  My fissure is much more painful when the movements are soft like toothpaste (which is almost always!), but if I ever have more solid stool, things don't hurt much at all.  I can be in pain from the soft movements for literally 15 - 20 hours, with extreme pain for the first 5 or so, but when I've had more solid movements I only have very brief pain.
When my CRS recommended Metamucil for the too-soft stool (look this up - it's amazing that a single product can work on BOTH constipation AND diarrhea), I started taking the capsule form because I just couldn't drink the horrible powder-in-water version.  I started out taking 3 capsules and they worked to fatten up my stool by the very next day!  Unfortunately, however, my body became used to them very quickly, and I had to keep increasing the dosage.  You can only take them 5 at a time, and since you can't take them within 2 hours of other meds, I have to max out at 10 per day, and that is no longer enough to keep my stool solid.
Has anyone else on this forum had trouble with too-soft stool?  And have they found any dietary ways to bulk it up?  I already eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and only drink water (quite a bit every day).
Suggestions and experiences would be very welcome.
Thanks!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Re: Stool too soft?

Postby torninhell » 18 Jun 2013, 08:32

That's odd that the soft stool hurts you more! I actually find myself begging for soft stools when I sit at the toilet just so that the pain would be less. I can't say that I've had your problem, but from all the research I've done it might be because of your diet.
Maybe you're eating a ton of soluble fiber, which makes your stool soft and kind of like toothpaste. Insoluble fiber makes your stool bulk up, but be careful because too much can cause your stool to become too big and hurt you more (trust me, I know, I've been through this several times before it occurred to me that it was because of the fiber!!!!!). Here's a link to see the difference between the fibers (ETA: I tried to include a link but as I'm a newer member I couldn't, I'm sorry! Please just do a google search of soluble vs insoluble fiber! :))
Good luck and I hope this helps!!!
torninhell
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby chachacha » 18 Jun 2013, 09:10

I will look that up for sure and thanks for the suggestion.
When you google anal fissures though, one of the causes is diarrhea, which is probably what causes mine to recur constantly.  It heals up after a couple of months, but then a couple of months (or only weeks) later, it's back with a vengeance.
I know that if I can find a way to "correct" my stool, things would be much better.  And it seems that for others, correcting theirs is the answer too, but they need it softer.
And btw, when it's soft for me, it's like the liquid then just seeps into the fissure, like salt in a wound, and that's why it takes half a day or more (and the first 5 hours are AGONY), for the fissure to deal with the invasion.  Just like salt in a wound, the wound eventually removes or absorbs, or weakens the strength of the salt.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 18 Jun 2013, 10:56

A couple of thoughts, based on advice from my CRS:
1. He told me not take the capsules - take the actual powder, even if it tastes bad. My CRS said the capsules are "worthless." Perhaps your body isn't getting "used to to the fiber" you are just taking it in the wrong form.
2. You might want to try Konsyl. My CRS said it is the "gold standard" of fiber supplements. I have used Konsyl in the past and it consistently worked (soft, yet bulky stools) - much better than Metamucil. However, it does taste bad. My CRS said to mix it with the recommended amount of liquid (I used grape Gatorade) and let it sit for five minutes before drinking it.
Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby chachacha » 18 Jun 2013, 11:47

Thank you for replying.
The capsules really work well though, for the first few weeks after I increase the dosage, and prevent the stool from being soft. Do you have too-soft stool, or are you in the majority who use the Metamucil type products to soften things up?
I will certainly look into Konsyl, if it can be purchased in Canada.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby marg6043 » 18 Jun 2013, 13:52

chachacha  you are right my fissure is due to chronic diarrhea, for which I was prescribed Questran to help with stools, I developed chronic diarrhea after my gall bladder removal.
Yes Diarrhea can be very acidic due to bile. Soft stools due to fiber intake are not as acidic as those caused by diarrhea, Once I eliminated the dairy and Coffee from my diet and started to drink ginger tea my diarrhea is more in control and I do not need the Questran anymore.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby chachacha » 18 Jun 2013, 14:04

Thank you, Marg, I will look into that as well. I happen to have an appointment with my faimly doctor tomorrow, so can get her opinion as well.
So nice to get so many responses and to have so many people who understand the pain that we've all suffered.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Please go-away! » 18 Jun 2013, 16:40

Chachacha the orange flavored Metamucil isn't too bad , I'm from Ontario. Canada. Try that..take care
:)
Yes I drink my ginger tea, just love it and does wonders.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby chachacha » 18 Jun 2013, 16:51

Thanks, please, but the orange one is the only one that I have tried, lol. I'm such a baby, but the thick and gel-ly texture just completely turns my stomach.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby marg6043 » 18 Jun 2013, 18:20

Please go-away! Ginger tea is a great antioxidant and anti inflammatory, my mother used to make it fresh when I was a child for stomach problems like pain and nausea.
I use fresh ginger, shredded in a small amount of water until boils and the water turns yellowish, then add almond milk until the milk gets warm then I use a  colander to filter it and add lots of cinnamon, brown sugar t taste and drink it first thing in the morning and before bed.
That is my mothers recipe.
marg6043
King Fissure