Have I been lucky to catch this early??????????

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Have I been lucky to catch this early??????????

Postby blackecho » 10 Jul 2013, 00:33

Hope I am not fooling myself but .............. after 5 weeks of this fissure thing I have noticed from a lot of posts that the only pain I have had has been during BM....not a lot of the torture feeling afterwards...some dull pain for hour or so ....but nothing like some others are enduring.... constipation has def been a prob for me...................... anyway my Dr did notice it was a small tear and put me on Retrogesic................... have been using it for 4 days...........made some adjustments to my diet and some Coloxyl and had two good BMs today with no pain at all...................is the Retrogesic working already??????????? I am now committed to permanently changing my diet but how much longer should I use the Retrogesic? So yeah am I wrong for thinking I am already well on the way to getting this healed? Have Dr apt next week to have a look but interested to know............ :)
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Have I been lucky to catch this early??????????

Postby JHH » 10 Jul 2013, 03:38

Yeah, you caught it early, and its still an acute fissure you have, instead of a cronic. It will respond better to treatments, and most likely heal very soon.
Another good thing, is that you dont have spasms for hours after BM. This means your fissure will be easier to heal, as your bloodflow to the fissure is OK.
Good luck :)
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Rectogesic rectal ointment and acute vs chronic AFs.

Postby Savaici » 11 Jul 2013, 19:43

blackecho, here is info from netdoctor.co.UK all about the use of Rectogesic, including how long you use it. Remember that your fissure is acute, and if you stick to the program, you have a good chance of healing it soon...
Rectogesic rectal ointment contains the active ingredient glyceryl trinitrate, which is a type of medicine called a nitrate. It is used to relieve pain associated with anal fissures.
An anal fissure is a tear in the lining of the back passage (anus). It is often caused by passing hard stools when you are constipated. The tear is painful and often bleeds when you pass a stool.
The tear may also be caused in part by spasm (tightening) of the muscle around the anus (the internal sphincter). Spasm of this muscle also causes pain, because if the muscle around the anus is tight, the blood supply to the anus is reduced. This can also slow down the healing process.
The main treatment for anal fissures involves trying to prevent constipation, because straining to pass the stool and passing large hard stools cause more problems. The tear often heals by itself in a couple of weeks, but may sometimes be ongoing. This is called a chronic anal fissure. Glyceryl trinitrate ointment is used to relieve the pain of a chronic anal fissure and also helps the tear heal.
The ointment is applied inside the anus. It works by releasing a chemical called nitric oxide, which is a chemical also made naturally by the body. Nitric oxide relaxes (dilates) blood vessels. It also relaxes the internal sphincter muscle in the anus. This improves the blood supply to the anus, which relieves the pain and helps the fissure to heal.
You should keep using the ointment for as long as your doctor has prescribed it; this will usually be until the pain has got better (up to a maximum of eight weeks).
Last edited by Savaici on 12 Jul 2013, 05:53, edited 2 times in total.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby blackecho » 11 Jul 2013, 20:38

Hey thanks for that info..much appreciated......
Is working for the fissure I would say but man .....makes me feel a bit all over yuck lol....slight nausea...fatigue and lighthead on and off ...been about 5 days now ...hopefully will go away soon..don't really wanna stop using the ointment.....and might I add...lack of interest in sex ..which is very unlike me lol...........or is that TMI....:D 
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Postby JHH » 11 Jul 2013, 23:46

Normally, one would use rectogesic for 6-8 weeks assuming the fissure heals up. Even if the fissure heals before that, you must continue to use it for that time. I guess its to prevent retears while the area is weak.
If the fissure does not heal within that time, some doctors advices to continue the rectogesic. I have been using it for 5 months now.
Some of the symptoms go away, and some decreases. For me it took about 14 days to get rid of the worst.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby blackecho » 12 Jul 2013, 00:09

thanks JHH .....so those side effects are pretty normal then.....phew
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Postby blackecho » 13 Jul 2013, 02:27

Yeeee haaaa a virtually painless BM......sorry to post this but only you guys would understand the joy ............ people around me don't get it lol
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Postby puzzledbutt » 13 Jul 2013, 03:37

"celebrate good times come on! lets all celebrate now!!!!!!!!!! isnt it brill when u have ur first painless poop! dont worry blackecho we all feel ur joy!! great stuff! xxxxxxxxxxxxx
puzzledbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby blackecho » 13 Jul 2013, 04:29

........................ya damn right puzzledbutt........ least I feel I am going in the right direction....still have to keep an eye on it but I feel its working... :D 
blackecho
Fibre Addict