Dear Ever the Optimist

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Dear Ever the Optimist

Postby rebornbutt » 19 Jul 2013, 03:39

Ever the Optimist,
I went to be my dressing done today. Doctor told me that my would be filling up slowing. Now as deep as compared to the day right after surgery. Good to get the root of the problem out.
I did managed to treat on of my cyst on my shoulder while treating my fistula with silicea. I had a cyst that with fats inside that could not be extracted out easily. After taking silicea, the fats kind of squeezed out from the cyst. The cyst is now be reduced in size.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby rebornbutt » 19 Jul 2013, 13:46

Hi Ever the Optimist,
I did remember something. I used to be on long term antibiotics for 10 over years from 1991-2004 for my acne problems. I used to have a doxycycline everyday during those times. This could have explain why my abscesses are able to clean up by itself 15 and 10 years ago. Probably the tract also went into hibernation because of the antibiotics.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby rebornbutt » 20 Jul 2013, 00:12

Hi Ever the Optimist,
I kept reading that there is a possibility of a recurring fistula after surgery. I do not know why they can recur if they are being operated properly and clean up.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Jul 2013, 01:48

Hi Reborn,
I've also read the same and completely agree with your view, I think if the fistula is treated properly and drained completely then a recurrence is very very small. I believe it's only when it is not properly dealt with that further issues arise. I know the "deeper" and more complex fistulae are sometimes more difficult to locate, and to operate on thoroughly and take more than one surgery to treat, so I can understand why they can recur more easily.
The simpler ones however do tend to be a lot easier to deal with and do not usually recur.
On saying that, some individuals are a lot more prone to their development & recurrence but this does tend to be those with diagnosed rectal & intestinal conditions, such as Crohns and Diverticulitis.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby rebornbutt » 20 Jul 2013, 02:08

Hi Ever.
Thanks for replying. It was shocking to read on the net of the recurrence following surgery. I've read that most recurrence are due to internal opening not found or infection was not cleared up totally during surgery. Or other bowel syndromes like crohns etc.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby rebornbutt » 20 Jul 2013, 10:55

Dear Ever the Optimist,
Help please. This is my 5th day post surgery.
I accidently touched the wound while cleaning it just now. And quite abit of bright red blood flowed out of the wound. I thought the wound stopped bleeding but yet it still happens. Is that normal? Should I take care on not to touch the wound while cleaning now?
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Jul 2013, 15:01

Hey Reborn,
That's OK - Try not to panic.
It's like when you cut your finger and it starts healing and then you might accidentally knock it again and the wound if open, will start to bleed again. This is exactly the same thing going on. Obviously, if the bleeding doesn't stop or worsens, that's when you need to go for medical help but hopefully, you'll be fine. Just be extra careful at the moment because the wound is still relatively new, so be very gentle in your cleaning (don't rub - just very gently dab it) You do need to keep things clean the best you can but even if you use a shower head and kind of aim the shower above it and let the water trickle down over it, that should be good enough too....
Give it a few more days for the healing to kick in a little more and just be very gentle in that area for a little longer........If the bleeding has stopped by now, you're doing OK and this is normal.
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby rebornbutt » 20 Jul 2013, 21:18

Hey Dear Ever the Optimist,
Thanks for your advice again. I will avoid rubbing on the wounds while doing cleaning. I had to stuff a big piece of gauge in to stop the bleeding. The blood is like dripping and got me freaked. I will be more gentle to the wound from now onwards. Thanks.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby rebornbutt » 21 Jul 2013, 06:42

Hey Ever the Optimist,
I saw my doctor today. He told me the wounds are still fresh so I should refrain on touching on rubbing on it. Just spray water on it to clean it.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 Jul 2013, 14:48

Good to hear Reborn!
Just take it easy - bleeding like that is always a little scary but once it heals a bit more, the area will become more resistant to a little wear & tear!
Ever the Optimist