Your BEST AF tip or secret

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Your BEST AF tip or secret

Postby mlu36 » 30 Jul 2013, 19:34

Thanks for welcoming me to the group. I’m so sorry to learn about the pain you’ve all been in as well, in what has been the most debilitating and depressing problem I’ve ever faced. I think what’s hardest for me (at least after the intense pain) has been the inability to tell people. I’m a 36 yr old female and not interested in sharing with friends- though the 2 I’ve told have been supportive, but clearly totally unaware of just what the pain is like or how serious it feels. It’s almost worse to tell people because it’s easier for them to discount it.
I am new to the forum, and 6 months into this issue. It started in April 2013, and I thought it was an hemorrhoid. Let it go about 2 weeks, then called and had to wait 2 more excruciating weeks to get in to a CRS. On that first visit, I was given Nitro .2% and Lydo. Told I had a 90% chance of recovering. I went back there 2 weeks later for follow up and they said that I “hadn’t achieved victory yet, but am close.” Fast forward 6 months and here I am, still in such pain. I think it keeps retearing.
I have never had bleeding, just truly incredible pain, usually after BM but sometimes a general burning throughout day as well. I’ve tried sitting on heat (this is probably my best strategy), sitting on ice, Advil, Sitz Baths, and of course diligent use of the medications. Still, the pain is there.
A little background: I have T2D and take metformin which really screws up my stomach. I am occasionally constipated but usually really loose with diarrhea, sometimes up to 5 or more times per day. I think this did it. I don’t really want an alternate medicine, and I’ve actually stabilized a lot on this med but just still don’t have the same normalcy someone else would in the BMs.
I’ve been thinking about a few issues and hoping you all could weigh in.
1. What is your best secret or tip to get through this? Anything you love? I’ve seen a couple posts on coconut oil- is that something your DR recommended? Mine never mentioned it.
2. Surgery. My doctor was extremely opposed to this option, though he does it a lot. For me he felt treatment would work and as a female still hoping to have a baby, he said it’s not a good option. Anyone have this surgery and then a successful pregnancy?
3. Pregnancy. I was hoping to be pregnant by now, but this has AF has put pregnancy on the back burner for now. I’m feeling such incredible stress and anxiety. Will it ever go away? Could it come back with a vengeance during a pregnancy? Could I take the same medications if I was pregnancy? Will I really never have another child because of this?
4. Overall stress and a. Since this happened, my panic and anxiety is sky high. It’s like I’m always totally afraid that the pain will hit, and that sort of unrest has leaked over into every other part of my life. When I wake in the morning, I have about 5 seconds of total calm until I can actually feel the cortisone flow through my body- that fight or flight hormone just goes nuts and within moments I’m in a full state of panic, which lasts most of the day. I feel like I’ve gone into “chronic” mode now, which sets off panic so much. I can’t handle this forever.
5. Relationships. I feel like an awful wife and mom to my 3 yr old son because I’m spending so much time on HP, SB, etc. I try not to talk about it b/ cI hate dragging everyone down, but it’s so awful. When I’m not doing those things, I’m online googling and reading everything I can. It’s like I’m obsessed.
6. This is really gross...but the medication application. I’ve been using a qtip and applying in the general area, but I don’t even really know exactly where it is?! I’ve read here about people inserting higher- any thoughts on that? Also- the nitro does not give me a headache. At all. I have refilled the prescription several times, and none of the bottles do create that side effect (I was wondering with the first bottle if it was missing the active ingredient or something).
I feel so terribly alone in this. I appreciate any correspondence with you!
mlu36

Topics: 2

Re: Your BEST AF tip or secret

Postby pinpin » 31 Jul 2013, 08:05

1. The best thing is to keep stool loose and not to strain.
2. This is difficult to answer, as mainly it depends on how much do you suffer, and when there is "enough is enough" point for you.
3. No medication when you are pregnant. If you want to enjoy pregnancy I would recommend to postpone it until you feel well.
4. Yes stress and anxiety come together with butt issues. Try to get anti depressants for you, it will help. And you can stop them when you feel well again.
5. I completely relate to you, and many from members will also. Try to get one day at once. Not thinking long term, if you got good day, try to enjoy not thinking AF pain will return. When it will return, just cope.
6. Nitro never did headaches or dizziness to me. So it is ok. What you can note after application your external tags, hemms can be enlarged as blood vessels are enlarged to promote healing.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Please go-away! » 31 Jul 2013, 09:45

Hi mlu36, I'm sorry for your pain, But so glad you have joined this forum.
Believe me when I first joined this forum I was googling every thing and reading every post, still haven't read them all, your not obsessing you just want to be informed.
I also don't get headaches or dizzy from my nitro, Xylicaine compound, in fact at my last visit with my Gastrologist, I told her and showed her the script, she said the formula is fine and I can apply it twice a day...:) 
I have just recently been applying it about a 1/4 way in with a q-tip wrapped in 1/2 a baby wipe (keep's it sterile) I found it to be more effective.
Please don't think anything is gross, you should see have the thing's we say here, we have all become one big fissure fighting
family.....Image 
Do what ever you can to relax, herbal teas,if you like basil(it contains Tryptophan, uplift's your mood and calm's) in a stir fry or take a sit'z bath.
As igrik said, an antidepressant, or how about Valium, my sister has ulcerat, Colitis combined with anxiety..it help's her.
As for you T2D and taking metformin, I looked it up because my mother is on it. One side effect is diarrhea, now I don't see constipation..we have to get your BM softer, smoother and easier to pass,(with out being to loose)
Keep looking at your diet from Soluble and the insoluble fibre's.
In your situation..there has to be more of a balance, Don't give up.
Try not to look at the big picture as igrik said, take one day at a time, I just had a set back as others have, if it wasn't for this forum..Image I don't know where I would be, so keep reading and stay tuned.

Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby mlu36 » 31 Jul 2013, 19:47

Thank you both so much for your kind replies.
Do you think it's possible, after almost 6 months, to heal? Or is this absolutely a lifelong thing now?
A follow up question, ingrik1986- I never heard about the external tags/ hemms getting larger with medicine, but it makes PERFECT sense. Does this end up hurting? Sometimes I feel like the nitro stings.
Thank you so much for writing and welcoming me.
mlu36

Postby mlu36 » 31 Jul 2013, 19:48

Also regarding the antidepressent I'd love to but want to avoid so I can get pregnant. I was thinking maybe after a baby I'd try it again. Just so afraid to face a pregnancy with this problem...
mlu36

Postby pinpin » 01 Aug 2013, 01:31

No nitro does not end up with hurting, now worries.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Please go-away! » 01 Aug 2013, 12:59

Ya ya..no Valium,, yet of course, if you want to get preger's..follow your Doctor's order's.
OH yes you can heal..we are slowly healing even with all our setback's, because when you look at the big picture,,think about it, each set back get's smaller and shorter.
Remember, for example just like a paper cut between your finger, when you open and close your hand it will re-open, taking longer to heal, but your body is getting use to it and compensating ..pain etc. So does the rectum, unfortunately we have to poop, of course that's why we say try to make your BM as smooth and easy as possible, but it is not always that way.
So that's why it's gonna take time, I had my fissure diagnosed back in early April about.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15