Feeling discouraged and depressed after setback

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Feeling discouraged and depressed after setback

Postby Luka » 21 Aug 2013, 13:29

Hi there Just 'Pain' Tired,
Just trying to hang in there. I have ups and downs. After the setback, I felt almost pain-free for a week again. Now, I'm feeling sore again. So, yeah... lots of ups and downs. Going to see another CRS next month and see what he says. At least I will know what my options are and can decide from there what I want to do. Also trying to get my financial situation in order in case I need surgery since I don't have health insurance right now. The health care system in our country (United States) SUCKS big time. I'm so jealous of those of you in other countries with universal health care.
Thanks for your support. : )
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby blesstech » 23 Aug 2013, 23:50

Hey Luka, thanks! I am back from LIS now, let me share you some of my experiences :)
I went to hospital ard 8am Thursday, after registration and enema, I waited at operation suite for my turn. After an hour, I was given IV and spinal anaesthesia, then pushed to OR and became unconscious after sedation.
Woke up after 2 hours, unable to pee but the bladder was full with pain, given urinary catheter to drain the urine (felt a bit discomfort after anaesthesia went away, nurse only took it out the next day morning Image )
Discharged on Fri afternoon, rest at home and just felt a bit sore at anal area. Only had my first BM this morning, took pain killer and applied xylocaine beforehand. The pain level was about 3/10, bleeding more than usual, not the same fissure pain, more like swollen kind of feeling, the anal is quite loose I can feel but completely in control. Took a sitz bath and soreness just went away.
If you decide to have LIS eventually but fear about the operation, it's actually not as scary as what we thought, it is really just a minor surgery compared to others in the OR. No worry :)
blesstech
Fibre Addict

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 24 Aug 2013, 00:13

Luka, I'm trying to heal without surgery, too.  And that up and down pattern is very familiar!  I had a bad couple of days this past week (pain of 6) after two weeks of mere discomfort....what the (beep)?  I'm sorry you don't have the security of health insurance and, YES, our system stinks!  Are you sure there's no state-funded plan available to you?  I consulted a naturopath outside of my health care plan, who does AF 'surgery-lite' who charged less than surgery with anesthesia would cost (under 1K).  I didn't like the description and have just kept going with the ointments (still cost $$, even with insurance!...actually going outside my plan for a different ointment Image cost $$$). If possible, you might try and 'sock away' some funds, just in case.  But I'm hoping you continue healing on your own!
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Luka » 24 Aug 2013, 00:14

Hi blesstech,
Glad to hear you got through the operation. Honestly, though, it sounds really scary from what you said. : ( You didn't get general anesthesia? I thought they would knock you out before giving you the spinal. Also, I thought LIS only took 15-20 minutes (not two hours). Did you have anything else done? Did you get a fissurectomy?
I'm sorry to hear you couldn't pee after the operation. I've heard that can be a problem with surgeries like that, which freaks me out. A few people on here had the same problem. Owwwwww... : (
Glad to hear you don't have much pain afterward, though. I hope everything goes well from now on and that you have a really easy and fast recovery. : ) I'm still REALLY scared of surgery, but I will make a decision about it eventually.
By the way, do you live in the United States or elsewhere? Thanks for sharing and feel better soon! :)
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby Luka » 24 Aug 2013, 00:21

Hi Just 'Pain' Tired,
Yes, the up and down pattern is very annoying. I was doing so well (pain-free) for over a month, then I got pain again. It comes and goes and it's so aggravating! I'm just so tired of it. After this year, I will be considering surgery, though, if not sooner if the CRS I see next month says I really need it. I am very scared of surgery and realize everyone goes through it differently and has a different recovery. Some forum members' stories make me feel better, while others scare the heck out of me. *sigh*
I looked into insurance here in California and there's really no affordable plans for me. It's something I'm still trying to research, though. I am saving money up, though, in case I need the surgery. Going to see the CRS will cost me about $500 alone, ugh.
I hope we can manage to heal on our own. Just have to keep trying and keeping hope! I know others have done it after months or years of having a fissure, so that gives me some hope.
Luka
VIP

Postby blesstech » 24 Aug 2013, 05:43

Hi Luka, I live in Malaysia, my surgeon just uses anaesthesia for the lower half of the body, I think general anaesthesia is more 'risky'. I forgot to mention I had fissurectomy as well to remove the sentinel pile. It took me 2 hours to awake but the operation should be just within half an hour, will check with my surgeon at my folow-up visit :)
blesstech
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 24 Aug 2013, 09:51

Luka,
Are you feeling any better??
My CRS Mr Windsor told me that all fissures will eventually heal... No one will have one forever.
Hopefully your setback has been a minor one and you can get back to pre setback sooner than later.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Luka » 24 Aug 2013, 12:30

Hi owmybum,
I'm feeling a bit better. Still having ups and downs. I'm going to see a CRS next month to discuss what I should do next and check on the fissure's healing.
Thank you for the encouragement. :) I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.
Hope you feel better soon, too. Image We will beat this thing!
Luka
VIP

Postby splinterboy1984 » 24 Aug 2013, 15:12

Hang in there luka, these things are terrible but i have managed to heal chronic fissures in the past, although my problem is that i keep getting new ones becuase the canal has become too tight.
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Please go-away! » 24 Aug 2013, 23:08

Keep your chin up Luka, one day at a time, your doing fine..:) 
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15