Feeling discouraged and depressed after setback

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Feeling discouraged and depressed after setback

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 04 Aug 2013, 02:03

Luka,
I was like you terrified of surgery the pain from a fissure is so bad you expect someone cutting you with a knife to be worse but it's not. Honestly it was very manageable & got easier everyday don't be afraid.
I hope your feeling a bit better today. Image 
Deleted User 2543

Postby owmybum » 04 Aug 2013, 02:09

Splinterboy........
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby PompeyBlue » 04 Aug 2013, 03:56

Luka
Setbacks are possibly the worst part of this condition but most people experience them and mostly they do pass in a few weeks. More important, in my experience you do not go right back to where you started. However much it may feel like that at the time.
We are all different but I have managed natural healing using the methods you are following. The first time being a typical bloke I didn't see a CRS for six months. He gave me a couple of tubes of Diltiazem and a bit of diet advice. After a few weeks of diltiazem I felt much better but carried on until it was finished.  I then then got on with my life and, apart from keeping up some of the good dietary habits I forgot all about fissures for seven years.
Last September I had a change of prescription medecine which blocked me up badly and I retore. This time I saw the doctor immediately but there was a delay in getting Diltiazem. I also had an unrelated stomach condition which was going to need major surgery and a girlfriend just diagnosed with cervical cancer who needed my support. I healed again but retore twice because of general anaesthetics, painkillers, barium meals and other unhelpful things! The last setback was about 10 weeks ago. All the usual stuff. Blood, barbed wire and razor blades, sitting agony. This time my poor backside had had so much Diliazem and Nitro inflicted on it that it tolerated nothing. Not even coconut oil. So I just relied on movicol and diet to keep regular and soft and to my surprise I now feel the best yet. I have been symptom free for two months and, apart from apprehension around BMs, I forget all about my fissure. Had a curry and three pints of beer the night before last!
Clearly I am very fortunate because, given a fair chance I can heal naturally and I know so many others on this board can't. But I am not special, many others can heal and we don't often hear from them here. But it does take time and patience and there are often setbacks.
And I am delighted to report that, after intensive radio and chemo my friend's tumour has disappeared!
I just wanted to give you hope.
I wish you the best of luck.
PompeyBlue
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby splinterboy1984 » 04 Aug 2013, 05:00

OMB....thanks i need all the hugs i can get seriously, this thing can bring a toughest man to their knees.
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby PIA » 04 Aug 2013, 08:28

Image Image 
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2013, 17:03

August 3 Happy birthday Luka
Best day of the year isn't it Luka. Guess who else also has this birthday, that's right, me. You may not be into the horoscope thingy but fighting this like the strong Leo type that we are supposed to be may help you right about now.
Luka we understand that your recurrence is very devastating, but we must continue to fight and look for answer and solutions. Listening to your issues over the months it becomes pretty clear that indeed you may be doing all that is possible to avoid re-tears.
It seems also evident that you have a much more active sphincter with a much higher resting pressure than the average person. This alone many experts say can indeed cause re-tears.
Luka, lets remember that with a high resting pressure the blood flow is reduced thereby giving you a comprimised and or weakened anal wall to begin with.
You also say the Dilt may not be doing its job. Luka, in my years of recurring fissures although I had spasm, I never had the constant high resting pressure that you're experiencing. So...
I think an excellent question would be to ask yourself or others, if anyone here has healed naturally, even with constant spasming and a high resting pressure. sphincter.
Its possible with the creams and botox and other similar things. But is it possible naturally without any of these things?
Yes, just saying or even just typing the word surgery is scary especially with your conditions, but just think of the relief you will get in the long run. Perhaps you may want to try another cream or even botox.
Remember, something will work for you, you just have to put on a brave face and find it. As it sounds right now, LIS may be what you may really want to consider.
HTH GL

Postby Luka » 04 Aug 2013, 18:54

Thank you everyone for your support. I haven't been online much the past day or so because I'm trying my best to recover from this setback. I'm feeling slightly better, so that's something.
I'm going to make an appointment with the CRS my GP originally referred me to back in January. I didn't see him at the time because the wait was over 2 months, so I saw another CRS (younger with less experience). The CRS my doctor recommended is supposedly a nice, understanding guy with years of experience (he's board certified and in his 60s, I believe). If I go the surgery route, I want someone EXTREMELY experienced with it. I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise. As I said, I have panic disorder (VERY prone to panic attacks) and depression, so I need a doctor that will be understanding, as well as very experienced.
I hope the wait isn't two months like last time. : ( I just want to get this resolved and move on with my life. He is the most experienced doctor at the practice and very respected, so I hope the wait will be worth it. As far as paying for it... I have no clue. It's something I will need to figure out. At least I have some savings.
Again, my problem with surgery is that I'm incredibly afraid it will lead to more pain and pain during bowel movements (which I don't currently have, thank God). I've read the recovery can be excruciating on here and that scares the heck out of me. Some feel immediate relief after surgery, while others are in horrible, debilitating pain for weeks. I don't know how I'd do it. I'd probably want to kill myself. I'm not as brave as many of you on this forum. : ( So, that's what's going through my head right now about all this. It's a very tough decision for me.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Luka » 04 Aug 2013, 19:02

Image to everyone on here, suffering or not. You've all been so supportive and I thank God for this forum.
splinterboy: Thank you again for your kind words and offer of support. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. It sounds like stress is a major issue when it comes to aggravating fissures. I know I feel the worst when I'm the most stressed. I hope you feel better soon and keep us updated if you decide to go the surgery route. It's a hard decision and one I'm struggling with right now myself.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby splinterboy1984 » 04 Aug 2013, 19:26

Thanks Luka, yeah i've been thinking about surgery more and more everyday, really i can feel thats my only answer. Its sad that we have reach mars but we don't have a easy cure for AF's. wish you luck and i will pray for you. good luck
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Rachael 1984 » 05 Aug 2013, 02:58

Hi Luka,
So sorry to hear about your set back. I think you are doing the right thing by going back to the CRS.At least you will know what the next course of action is, if you cannot heal without further intervention. Good luck, keep your fighting spirit up.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!