The irritation after healing

Lets talk about the after-healing issues

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: The irritation after healing

Postby suzyljank » 28 Jan 2014, 16:30

Hi, I've had 2 fissures that I know of, the first healed on it's own, a year later I got the 2nd one and it would not heal. I had LIS and it didn't help. I struggled for 5 years with the darn thing. It would heal and tear and heal and tear. After the first few years I started getting these charlie horse like spasms up the bum and I had urinary urgency issues. They were just awful. My bum was very tight and even with stool softeners my bms were too narrow and difficult to pass. Last March I went back to my CRS and he explained that all the scar tissue from a previous surgery and the tearing and healing cycle of my fissure had cause so much scar tissue I was diagnosed with anal stenosis. Surgery was my only option. I had double advancement flaps. After the surgery my pathology report came back chronic inflammation with granulation in the tissue they removed. If you have a fissure that has become chronic and it's not healing fully you probably have chronic inflammation too. This can cause burning, itching and a general achy feeling. After the surgery it took a long time for things to settle down. I'm at the 9 month mark and doing really good, things just keep improving. To prevent the tightness part of my recovery is dilation. I was doing this once a day but I'm down to every other day. It really does help. Keeps the muscle stretched and the scar tissue stretchable. I went through a short time of itching so the doctor gave me a sample tube of analpram HC. It worked really well. I didn't have to use it much thank god but it stopped the itchiness right away. I found that washing the area and using a hair dryer to dry things off also helps. Be sure you're wearing cotton under garments. They absorb moisture, too much moisture can cause itching too. To anyone struggling with a fissure long term, don't suffer. Talk to your CRS about your options and don't be afraid of surgery. Don't let the fissure win. Take whatever steps you have to to get your life back. I waited a long time (5years) before I had surgery because I was so scared. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have waited. I hope everyone heals quickly and gets their live back. All the best.
Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Stillhoping » 31 Jan 2014, 22:18

I think I am also suffering with irritation after healing. I have had a fissure for one year now. I have not been back to my CRS for several months.(I don't want a setback from an exam) I am much better now. However I continue to suffer some discomfort regularly. I do not have any itching. I am using diltiazem twice daily and wheatgrass at least two times a day. I have been doing this for months. I am also able to soak two to three times daily. My daily pattern is fairly consistent. A soft BM early in the day with only very minor irritation, then almost always increased irritation that starts about three to five hours later which then lasts for several hours before it goes away. There may be a few days when this isn't the pattern--but that would be the exception. Does any one have any thoughts? Is this the chronic inflation that suzy is referring to? What do you think scientist? Anyone with other thoughts? Should I stop doing everything that I have been and see what happens? Am I overdoing it with the creams and soaking? I don't want to go backwards from where I am now.
Stillhoping
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Alyssa » 23 May 2014, 22:22

" I have been healed for a Year and half however I still have minor irritation/prickly/annoying feeling in the anus that still has not gone away. Exercise aggravates it for me too. Some days its not really ever there. And some days it is very bothersome."

I'm experiencing the same thing and it is really bothering me; I have good days and bad days and my stools are always soft! My doctor suggested that I see a pelvic floor therapist to see if it helps; I have only gone to two sessions so far so I can comment much on it. Has anyone had any other treatments done for this?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Alyssa » 24 May 2014, 00:56

Bettyblue wrote:I managed to heal my fissure, using Miralax, nitro, tons of water and a healthy diet. Yet even I was healed the irritation of my anus never went away. It was present every day all the time. I couldn't go without a dab of Vaseline to ease it and calm down my bum so I could go with my day. Later I changed the Vaseline for a French ointment from "La Roche-posay". At night I always applied coconut oil. But although it made my irritation bearable it never went away. Then I decided to go for LIS because the AF was taking over my life, affecting my social life and starting to cause problems with my job. I did it only 2 days ago and every thing is going very well. But I am wondering if the anal irritation will disappear after the LIS. I know I can no tell right know, because as is expected I am very sore and burning down there. So probably I will not know the outcome until weeks o maybe months from now. I will post again in this thread to let you know.

Bettyblue,

Can you give us an update as to wether your irritation has improved? Has anyone else felt improvements on this as time passes?
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Alyssa » 24 May 2014, 11:31

"But I am wondering if the anal irritation will disappear after the LIS. I know I can no tell right know, because as is expected I am very sore and burning down there. So probably I will not know the outcome until weeks o maybe months from now. I will post again in this thread to let you know"

Just wanted to hear if your irritation after the surgery has went down?
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby JHH » 24 May 2014, 12:24

Wow, I totally forgot this thread. Guess it's time for a little update :-)

Things continue to get better for me. Maybe once every week or two, I will get a shortlasting irritation. Like half an hour or less. Still mostly related to running or a firmer than usual BM. It's really nothing, and happens much more rarely than when I started the topic back in January.

P.S. in 14 days or so, it will be a year ago I had my Botox.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Ever the Optimist » 24 May 2014, 12:46

JHH,
This is a great post! Glad I found it and great to hear you are doing so much better now, although it does take so much time!...
About 2.5 years on for me now since the original fissure trauma and pretty much back to normal as you describe, but not without mild symptoms of pretty much everything a lot of people describe here! which can all disappear for a couple of weeks and then flare up again. This is irritation that gradually subsides (noticeable later on in the day more) and increased by too-firm stools or diarrhoea! I honestly can't see this ever going away completely but my quality of life is great now and no issues with sports or swimming anymore. (This helps!)
If I'm feeling particularly down again, I just force myself to remember how bad it all was once & remind myself that I am not in that same place anymore.
Side effects for me were also internal piles, which can aggravate easily but they are largely manageable....From time to time, I get the odd twinge from the area, which is obviously a lot more fragile now, and sometimes discomfort when passing stools as things move over the scar tissue, but these are fleeting and I'm grateful they are what they are now and don't lead to the increasing intensity of pain like they once did.
I don't think things will ever be 100% the same as they once were, but time really is the greatest healer with this whole thing and this varies from person to person too. I can only say hang on in there to all of us, try to remain patient, move on, become as relaxed as possible about the whole thing because the more focus you can shift off it all, the better things "feel" generally....Accept it can take a lot of time but do not give up!! & as Suzy says in her post, do not let it take over your life!! :) Things really do get better!!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Fissurefrustration » 17 Jun 2014, 10:13

I'm in the same boat! one of my fissures is healed according to my GP but I get this prickly pain in the anal canal still!! its by no means as bad as the pain I had before with my AF, no more cut glass but this is just frustrating. I think it may be scar tissue pulling when I walk, or turn? moisturising helps but I'm by no means 100% I just hope and pray this isn't for forever...
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby Scientist2516 » 17 Jun 2014, 10:20

It does take time. It can take months, and it's common to have a lot of ups and downs. Please don't be down-hearted. It is what it is, annoying, frustrating, but it won't be for ever. The body does what it has to do. I remember thinking that my anus was trying to remind me to take care of it!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby powderblue » 24 Jun 2014, 13:14

Just want to join in and say that I'm experiencing pretty much the same symptoms. This is a lot more tolerable than having an active AF, but I'm always worried that I'm just one wrong step away from a significant setback.

If anyone will find more ways to improve this - let us all know!
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10