Cleaning up after BM - thoroughly

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Cleaning up after BM - thoroughly

Postby powderblue » 25 Feb 2014, 13:37

Every time I go to have a BM, there's a little bit of pain during and for about 5 minutes after that. I get that.

About 45 minutes after that there's another bout of pain, that's fecal matter moving down and onto the fissure, I get that.

But the real fun starts 2 hours afterwards, that's where I get burning and stinging. I never get any spasms and the feeling is right on the skin of the anal canal. What causes this? I think that there's more fecal matter travelling. And this may last 3 to 6 hours and then goes away.
Can someone explain this better? What's going on and how to manage it? To me that's the worst part about this AF.

My hypothesis is that this is fecal matter and if I open up the wound and clean it with water thoroughly, the symptoms usually go away for about half hour but may return. I clean with warm water, and usually with an assistance of my lovely spouse who must be getting very tired of it.

Any pointers??? Suggestions?
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Cleaning up after BM - thoroughly

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Feb 2014, 15:57

Powderblue, I do think that those are spasms. I know they don't feel like muscle contractions, but you've exactly described the sensations I had, which my colorectal nurse said were spasms. The anal muscles are not like the muscles of your arms and legs, so spasms won't feel like one big muscle contraction. It's more like lots of little contractions. I used to feel as though somebody lit a sparkler and shoved up my bottom. I think the warmth of the water is soothing your anus, and giving you relief. It's also lovely to feel clean, so the washing is probably helpful, but not necessarily cleaning out any faeces. Heat is a muscle relaxant, but you might try a longer source of heat, like a heat pad that you can sit on for hours at a time. You can only stay in the shower for so long, after all!

Your spouse sounds like a real sweetheart!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby powderblue » 25 Feb 2014, 19:48

Scientist, I've read and re-read your story many times and you are an inspiration.
And my wife is simply amazing.

If these are spasms, why are they not being stopped by applying more diltiazem cream? If anything, the burning seems to be getting worse.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby powderblue » 25 Feb 2014, 20:13

Also, if these are spasms, why do they start an hour or two afterwards?
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Feb 2014, 23:08

Thank you, powderblue!
I wish I knew the answer to why aren't the spasms stopped by dilt? (or any of the other drugs?) I asked myself that many times!
Also, I don't know why they take a while to start up. It's a mystery, and I did a lot of reading to try to find out, to no avail. Maybe you are right and they are not spasms. One reason it made sense to me that they were spasms was the way the pain tapered off - after a few hours of pain, I would feel a sense of relaxation, and the pain would lessen, momentarily. Then it would start again. Then lessen again, for longer. It reminded me of the days when (sorry if this is TMI) I used to have terrible period pains, or cramps. And those cramps are also muscle contractions. They gradually tapered off and stopped in the same way.

By the way, if the diltiazem is burning, it could be a sensitivity developing. If the burning gets worse and you start to itch and get a rash, stop the dilt. and ask for nifedipine or nitro.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby PIMA » 06 Mar 2014, 19:14

i may be too late commenting, but i just returned from my CRS with a very similar story. Come to find out, my fissure is infected and a fistula is somehow also involved. I go in for surgery Monday. Meds will not combat this infection and the pain is so extreme, time to go the surgery route. Better make sure it's not infected in there!
PIMA
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2