Please need help

Too many BM

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Please need help

Postby Apes » 11 May 2014, 12:45

Please I need some advice. I had Botox for AF 6 days ago. I have been having 3 BMS almost every morning within a 3 hour time period. It's causing a lot of pain, not stinging more spasm. The spasm is in left cheek and tailbone (probably levator ani syndrome) also throbbing pain around opening, seems nerve related. I don't know what to do to change things up. For breakfast I have either cereal (good combination of soluble and insoluble) or whole grain toast and avocado. I have a fruit smoothie with benefiber and melon then early dinner rice and black bean, kale, roasted beets, asparagus, sometimes some very soft chicken or salmon. At night I take two senekot. I know it's the three BMS ( they are formed but soft) that is killing me but I don't know how to stop that. I'm afraid if I change the benefiber or senekot I will have bulky stools which will kill me also.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Re: Please need help

Postby Loomis » 11 May 2014, 14:02

Well, to me, it sounds like you're eating way too much fiber. I have the unpopular opinion that a high fiber diet is actually horrible if you have a fissure. For the past two weeks, I've been on an extremely low fiber diet, that combined with using NTG cream has made my fissure feel better than it has in the past year. Fiber bulks your stool up, which is the last thing you want. Now that I'm on a low fiber diet, I only have a BM once every two to three days, and the stool is much smaller than it used to be when I had a similar diet to yours where I was going overboard with fiber.
Loomis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby Apes » 11 May 2014, 14:47

I think I agree with you. Now the questions how to adjust diet. Do I stop the supplements or just make the change in the foods I eat. Part of the problem is I'm not eating that much, so fiber has become a huge percentage of my food intake. Thanks for the input. It's Mother's Day and it just gets so depressing losing a beautiful day to this.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Loomis » 12 May 2014, 01:58

Well, if you want to take advice from me again, I say to change the diet and eliminate all supplements. Obviously, what you're currently doing isn't working, so why not try something new? Worst that will happen is that you'll still be in the same situation. Now, currently, you're eating a very large amount of fiber and and taking stool softeners, yet still experiencing pain. If you've been doing this for awhile with zero positive results, why not try a different strategy? Try my advice and do a low fiber diet, and stop taking the supplements for a few weeks and see how it goes. If your BM's are less frequent and are smaller, I think that'd be a positive in your situation. Also, have you seen a gastro or CRS yet? I'm definitely not a person who would suggest rushing into LIS surgery, but I'd at least try to get a doctor to prescribe some NTG ointment. Do that, combined with a low fiber diet, and see how it goes. Worst comes to worst, you're still in the same position in a month and have to think about scheduling a consultation for a surgery, a good scenario sees you getting some relief from the pain that's being caused by your very frequent BM's, which may lead to fully healing.
Loomis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby Phil McCrackin » 12 May 2014, 03:16

Hi Apes,

I agree with Loomis. I would go easy on the excess fibre. I also eat a low fibre diet and have a BM once a day, or once every second day. I take a teaspoon of Movicol before bed which keeps the stool soft. In combination with NTG cream I rarely have bad fissure pain and most of the time I don't even notice it. Although it hasn't completely healed it's definitely a lot better these days. I was also on a high fibre diet because I thought it made sense, but it's not always the case and seemed to make my fissure a lot worse.

Good luck!
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Apes » 12 May 2014, 06:50

Thanks so much for the feedback. Conversations like this really help, not only for the advice but emotionally. I have crs, she performed the Botox, I still using Nifedipine/lido cream that I used before the Botox. I really want to give the Botox a chance to work before LIS, it's a week today since the injection.
I started to change my diet last night. I still took the benefiber and sene knot at night but I incorporated some bread, olive oil and fish for dinner. Also, had some chocolate for desert. As usual upon waking this morning I had a BM, for the first time this week it felt like I emptied out. It was a large soft BM ( I can live with that). Immediately upon finishing it burned, I took my 20 minute bath lied back down and the pain subsided. I will have to wait and see if I have any other BMS this morning but this is a good start.
I don't want to change to many things at once, this way I will know what is working. I'm going to continue to lower my fiber intake and I'm going to talk to my crs today.
I can't thank you enough. This is an amazing much needed forum. I hate to burden my family and friends with this discussion and now I have a place to go. Stay strong poop softly.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby agnibeat » 17 May 2014, 08:33

3 BM's a day is very good... Why are you complaining? You are moving your bowels every few hours.. This means no constipation... Just focus on diet and keep it soft with a stool softener (colace) and soluble fiber. Don't forget to drink 2 to 3 litres of water daily.
Take two spoons of olive oil at lunch and dinner time. Avoid white bread and take wheat bread. If you can go on a pure veg diet for next 6 months. Also take 3 to 4 sitz bath - irrespective of BM. Also when you feel slightly better walk to exercise and promote blood circulation.
agnibeat
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Apes » 17 May 2014, 09:53

The three BMS were causing a lot of pain and spasm, the area wasn't getting time to rest and recover. In my case lowering the amount of fiber, changing from Metamucil to Benefiber and adding Miralax to my diet gave me two BMS a day that are well formed and soft without pain after. Drinking plenty of water and taking many baths.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby agnibeat » 17 May 2014, 11:13

Good Apes!
Glad you are doing well with two BM's now.. The key is not to hold back from going to the loo to have a BM...
I never hold back ... Before LIS if I ever held back then it would lead to more spasms.. Just an experience..
Since you just had botox and no LIS - maybe you should take a stool softener like colace(docusate sodium) just to give extra help to your system.
I also noticed that if patients eat lot of sweets then sugar takes vitamin B away. Vitamin B is vital for intestine health. So supplements will help.
Further there is a lining on the intestine (I forgot the exact name) that is responsible for naturally lubing up the BM. Vitamin A is vital for the health of this and taking Vitamin A supplements also helps.. However one must check with the doctor before taking any Vitamins..
Just sharing information. Hope it will help others..
agnibeat
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1