fistula wound closure

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

fistula wound closure

Postby heartofitall » 18 Jul 2014, 16:49

Hi all,

Long story short, I had abscess surgery w/ Seton in march, was told everything was fine and the fistula was gone by the consulting surgeon, then saw a new surgeon in may who said I still had the fistula, and finally had a fistulotomy mid may.

It's been almost two months since the op and i feel much better. Wound is healed 95% but it's this pesky 5% I am worried about. I saw mysuregon this past week and hr said that the wound opened back up or was having trouble closing right next to my anus. I am still having discharge of course and in the past two weeks it has bled a little bit (bright red). It is uncomfortable, but not at all painful.

My surgeon prescribed a cream and suppos called proctolog (French name,don't know if it is the same elsewhere) to encourage healing. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so what did you have to do to encourage healing and how long did it take to finally close?
heartofitall
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: fistula wound closure

Postby Asore Arseagain » 19 Jul 2014, 05:09

Hello,

I wanted to respond, but i cant really help as i don't know about the cream and suppositories....i haven't heard of this before. The only thing i can think of is i don't think its good if the fistula closes over on the outside without the inside being fully healed as this may lead to another abscess if the pus cannot find an exit so to speak. I lived with a fistuls for about ten yrs and it did close on the outside but it wasn't healed on the inside. So i have just had this seen to. I hope the creams etc works for you, but i hope it heals it from the inside out. Good luck. AA
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: fistula wound closure

Postby tll » 20 Jul 2014, 19:07

Yea not sure I have a fistula almost a year now mine on the inside never healed and tried healing on the outside a few times, but it would just open back up normally a fistula needs to heal from the inside out. I have had 3 surgeries, 2 drains and a seton and mine still has not healed, go back in August and going to have to have another surgery Dr said. Hopefully your fistula heals.
tll
Salt Bather

Topics: 3