External Fissure, Has Anybody Experienced This

Need Advice For External Fissure Near Anus

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

External Fissure, Has Anybody Experienced This

Postby rvrvue » 22 Jul 2014, 18:25

On Friday July 11th I had a colonoscopy. I left feeling raw and there was blood which I had never experienced before with a colonoscopy. The next day the area between my anus and tailbone was red and swollen and it hurt to touch. I called and got some prescription strength hydrocortisone ointment 2.5% and have been using that. Today I went back to the doctor and he said it was a tear not a hemorrhoid, like I thought it was. He told me to sit in hot water, use the ointment and take a stool softner. He said if it does not heal within a month he will do surgery. I freaked out. I know what surgery looks like for an internal anal fissure, but what does the doctor do for external. I asked him if he would have to go inside of me, he said no. I asked about stitches, he said no. He would not let me ask any other quetions, just that we would talk about it if it came to surgery. I am so scared. The tear is about 1/8 of an inch from the opening of my anus. I am so afraid that it will spread further and go inside of me. I had a LIS 8 years ago and I did ok with that, but I never want to have to go through with that again. HAS ANYBODY EVER HAD AN EXTERNAL TEAR CLOSE TO THE ANUS??? PLEASE HELP.
THANKS,
rvrvue
rvrvue

Topics: 2

Re: External Fissure, Has Anybody Experienced This

Postby Apes » 22 Jul 2014, 21:18

Sorry you have this going on. I also got a fissure from a colonoscopy, but it was internal. Has the doctor prescribe and other cream to help it heal? Most prescribe nitro, can get headaches or nifedipine. I tried neither worked and eventually got Botox which has worked. First off you must keep your BMS soft, the stool softener will help with that. Your still in the early stages and I would give it a chance to heal without surgery, I would ask the doctor for a cream that might help. Hydrocortisone i believe thins the skin and is not helpful for a fissure. What other symptoms are you having, are they bearable?
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Roidsfizzman » 22 Jul 2014, 23:00

Hi Rvrvue,

You should have an excellent chance for your fissure to heal in the next month. You may have some inflammation in the area as you note that you were red and swollen and that may be the reason your doctor prescribed Hydrocortisone. Apes is correct that most doctors use the Nitro or Nifedipine to treat a fissure.

It is your body and you control the medical treatments. Do not let a doctor push you around if you do not want a procedure and you are entitled to information about the procedure.

If you do not heal, at the young age of 70 you should have concerns about a second LIS. If I was going to do a second LIS, I sure would want to know my resting pressure was before the surgery. When we get over the age of 60, we do have a higher risk in the ability to control gas and liquid stools following LIS.

If you do not heal, an option could be Botox and cauterize the fissure. Try not to freak too much and focus on what you can do to heal with a high fiber diet, stool softener, lots of water.

When I did my colonoscopy, I was never told that a fissure was a risk with the procedure and on our board there have been two people that have developed fissures!

I wish you the best.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby rvrvue » 23 Jul 2014, 16:18

Thank you both for your answers. No other cream was suggested, just the hydrocortisone. I read about it thinning the skin and membrane, so I am leery about using it very long. Yes, it is a big red ridge, and that is why I thought it was a hemorrhoid because it was a big lump and I could not see the fissure in a mirror. Now that I know what it is, I can see it. I am just afraid it will continue to spread to the inside. I'm very healthy and active otherwise, just a big bundle of nerves. Again, thanks.
RV
rvrvue

Topics: 2