Any Athletic People?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Any Athletic People?

Postby frank » 31 Mar 2015, 13:18

Wanted to talk to some athletic people on the forum. Is exercising affecting your fissures? It seems like when sweat hits my fissure, it will burn then proceed to go into spasm. Im starting to wonder if I have mentally created a nasty cycle that needs to be broken. Seems like whenever any form of sensation starts to happen there, things start to tense up then proceeds to full blown spasm. I am starting to get some improvement in mornings when going to the bathroom, but these spasms for hours are always a coin toss. But sweat has been a trigger.
frank
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Any Athletic People?

Postby msimon » 31 Mar 2015, 16:14

Yes, I get that too when I exercise. Would you be able to place some gauze down there to protect it from sweat? I think this is a normal thing to happen as the nerves have become very sensitized by the chronic pain. I am having the same thing now.

Glad to hear you are having some relief in the morning with going to the bathroom.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby frank » 31 Mar 2015, 16:25

Not a bad idea about the gauze. I have been trying to think of something to put down there to block sweat. I barely wore anything today in 35º temps on my run to try and avoid sweating. Unfortunately the salty sweat hit it, which brought on the sting which brought on the spasm. The other day I did a shorter run, managed not to sweat and no spasm happened.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 31 Mar 2015, 17:01

You could also try to coat it in an oil-based protectant like coconut oil or petroleum jelly. I, myself, prefer gauze. Of course you could even use both...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Broncosgirl » 01 Apr 2015, 09:42

I noticed this sometimes. Actually, the interruption to my workout routine has been one of the most depressing aspects of my fissure.

My doctor suggested putting baby diaper rash cream back there to help with irritation. It acts as a barrier against moisture. Butt Paste or Destin are options. I never tried it because I ended up getting surgery. I'm assuming you would just put it around the outside of the anus
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby frank » 03 Apr 2015, 10:16

Broncosgirl.

When you ran would it be spasms afterwards or it would just hurt when you ran? I ran a 5 miler yesterday and felt fine. It was when I stopped and started walking when the burning slowly kicked in then began a 3-4 hour bout of VERY BAD burning and off the charts spasms. Even my bowl movement was worse than when this all started. Pain shot through my left butt cheek into my lower back. Its usually not that bad when I have a bowl movement. Im starting to think the burning after exercise isn't sweat hitting the fissure, Im thinking it's the muscle starting to burn. I can usually squeeze in a very lazy exercise without problems. Seems like the hard runs do it.

I know this sounds odd but yesterday I simulated running while touching my sphincter and that muscle does in fact move while running. That was part of the conversation I wanted to have with my CRS. I have never been constipated in my life, I eat a plant based diet (I have for YEARS) and my stool is always soft. My fissure problems started after I took up running. I really wish I could find more literature that could touch on the subject of running and the sphincter muscle. Like if the sphincter muscle is attached to same muscles used when running.

So anyways, its killing me to do this but after 6 years of never taking a week off of running, I am going to try and take a little time off and see if it helps.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby Broncosgirl » 03 Apr 2015, 10:37

My spasms did not seem related to exercise. I had decreased my exercise due to the pain before I could tell if one impacted the other. I had actually wondered if running would help because I never had problems like this when I was doing distance running and stopping didn't seem to help things heal.

I would listen to your body though. Last year I got a nasty tendon tear and had to take 8 weeks off and do other cross-training (swimming, bike). I actually ran my next race faster 1 month post recovery from that injury than any race before. Give your body rest if it is asking for it and see if maybe other forms of exercise irritate the fissure less.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby frank » 03 Apr 2015, 10:44

Thanks Broncosgirl.

I hope all is going well with your recovery from the LIS. I know I am only about a month and a half into this, but Im really losing hope that this is going to fix itself. None of the creams are working. (Been on creams for around 3 weeks). I'm confident even without the creams I would have good days mixed with horrible days just like I am now (with the creams). So I am chalking them up as not working. I am absolutely scared to death of doctors and any type of surgery, but getting to the point where I really could care less. I need this over with. Put me asleep and give me surgery.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby Runner Girl » 18 May 2015, 09:35

I run 6 days per week and race competitively. I've had my fissure for 2 weeks and have been able to run with little discomfort, except that 2 days ago I did a very tough 13k interval workout with my training group, and was surprised afterward to see that there had been bleeding from my anus. I would really like to start training for half marathons soon, but I wonder if longer distances will prevent healing? (My daily runs are 8k-12k.) I keep reading that exercise is good to promote blood flow, but the bleeding scares me, because this was the only time it bled. Frank, have you been able to keep running in spite of the pain you're in?
Runner Girl

Postby frank » 18 May 2015, 10:07

Hi Runner Girl.

I am actually just coming off a month of full relief and now im in pain again. My wife pointed out that I have picked up on my running more once I started to feel better. Coincidence? I don't know. 90% of the time running doesn't bother it. I had a couple runs where it felt fine then severe spasms after the run. And a couple runs that I headed out for while I was in spasm. Other than that running doesnt affect it.

I have been battling back and forth with the notion that I have muscle problems down there that caused the fissure. The CRS tells it's "get fissure then get spasm" I feel like it's "Get spasm, get fissure". Like I said I never had a fissure until I took up running. Been getting minor ones for years. Wouldn't even sweat it. They would be gone in a week and didn't experience spasms.

Your only 2 weeks in. Kind of early, might just be an acute small tear. I have learned a fissure isnt just a fissure. There's a fissure then there's a DEEP fissure. I have learned the deep fissure is a whole different ball game.

I average 5k-5 miles a week lately. Lots of hills though. I eased back once again and I will see if that works.
frank
Salt Bather