Travel Tips needed

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Travel Tips needed

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 04 May 2013, 11:14

Unfortunately, I'm far from healed and travel plans are coming up in two weeks. Just wondered if anyone had tips to get through this experience. We're gone just five days (four nights) and staying in a hotel. I'm thinking of bringing everything except the kitchen sink! Even my sitz bath if it will fit! My main concern is so much sitting, especially on the flights each way. I did buy the seat cushion Guest recommended on this site, which helps some, but I don't even know if it fits or if you're allowed to use them. This is a US domestic flight. Of course using public restrooms is something else I'm dreading. Keeping my diet consistent will be more difficult as well. Anyhow, I'm feeling a little anxious about it and just wondered if you all might have some advice!? Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Re: Travel Tips needed

Postby Guest » 04 May 2013, 12:12

My advice, beware of travelers diarrhea.
I know it sounds like something only oversea third world country travelers have to worry about.
Thats what I use to think. Until I got it taking a trip to Disney world. Basically its not practicing sanitary kitchen procedures while on the road.
Something simple as washing your hands may be neglected because we wouldn't always do it at home before we eat. But on the road more bacteria is waiting for you; and your fissures are salivating at the thought of you getting diarrhea.
Puplic restrooms yikes. Those sanitary wipes sure sound good right about now.
As a CDL driver, I use to wedge some tucks medicated pads(witch hazel) in my butt on long hauls to help ease the burning.
GL HTH
P.S. wash your hands!!!
Last edited by Guest on 04 May 2013, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add

Postby owmybum » 05 May 2013, 02:49

My tip would be to bring a small cushion.... I had a trip to us not so long ago, two weeks in Florida... Disney etc... And I took my little cushion everywhere!
I also have a little collapsible stool I use to elevate my feet when I have a bm. I took that too, along with the Vaseline, wet wipes and creams.
I kept up with my usual stool softeners, made sure I drank plenty too, made wise food choices as much as I could, and took pain killers with me just in case.
Try not to worry... You will have so much going on it will help to take your mind off your butt! It's never as bad as you anticipate it's going to be..enjoy the break!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby suzyljank » 05 May 2013, 06:22

Hi, I bought soft sitz it's an inflatable sitz baths and folds up really small. Do not use a donut cushion, it tends to cause too much tension and pulls your butt cheeks apart. Take a little epi bottle in case you need to use the restroom on the plane, you will still be able to rise with water. If heat helps buy therma care back wraps. You can put them right on your bum and the heat lasts for hours. Have fun on your trip, all the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby muzgut22 » 05 May 2013, 14:09

I travel a lot for work so I've had some experience in this area. I always bring a tub of lysol to clean out tubs, toiletts, etc. I bring a small bottle of witch hazel, baby wipes, vaseline and all my "medicines". But most importantly I bring food. I know it sounds weird to bring your own food but you never know what you'll be able to find. I buy bags of prunes, I like the sunsweet individually wrapped ones. I'll always have a handful in my purse and bag for snacking. I also bring individual instant oatmeal packets, I like the quaker weight control ones. All you need is a cup, hot water and spoon and voila you have a meal. I usually ask someone at starbucks if I can have a cup with hot water. There are starbucks everywhere. I also bring almonds and fiberone brownies. Think of the things you usually eat and try to figure out what you can pack. Having something to eat regardless of where you are always provides comfort. When I have to go out to eat for business dinners or such, I'll usually eat oatmeal and prunes in the hotel before so I won't be struggling to find something to eat. Also, if you take fiber supplements, bring some capsules with you to any meal just in case. Hope this helps!
muzgut22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby PIA » 06 May 2013, 06:13

All of the above..plus ask for an aisle seat so you can get up as much as possible. Good hygiene, give yourself time every morning to look after yourself. Take lots of food as mentioned especially prunes etc. I don't have laxatives normally but always take one every night when I travel because my whole system changes. Just prepare then enjoy. Xx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Now66 » 06 May 2013, 08:25

I do alright on domestic US flights because most are 4 hours or less in the air. It was that last LAX to Melbourne, AUS that started my fissure problems - 14 hours in the air!
I follow the other recommendations:
Bring the Miralax and fiber
Pack my own breakfast cereal with prunes
Keep the wipes in my carry-on bag
and
Take the time to poop. It is so easy to get off cycle when traveling and the cost is just too painful.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby katrina77 » 06 May 2013, 11:41

If you take sitz bath, take duct tape in case it cracks from weight if you check bag.
katrina77
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 06 May 2013, 22:08

Wow you all, those tips are awesome! Thank you so much! My list is already so long it's ridiculous! I didn't think about bringing those food items, but it makes sense.
A question for Suzyljank--where do you get an epi bottle? And what are the Therma care back wraps--does this take the place of a heating pad?
Today, I ordered an inflatable seat for the flight. Even though it's not more than four hours (unless we can't take off, which is happening these days!) I have very limited tolerance for sitting. It is a major factor in my last re-tear!
Owmybum, I hope you're right and that I'll be able to enjoy myself for most of the time!
I hope others will benefit from these great ideas as well!
Image Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby katrina77 » 07 May 2013, 05:45

I am doing overnight flight to Europe and was thinking of cancelling but decided not to. Life has to move on.
When I was on vacation last year, butt was better. I think because I wasn't sitting so much.
katrina77
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2