Pruritis Ani: THE ITCH FROM HELL

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pruritis Ani: THE ITCH FROM HELL

Postby Daisy » 21 Oct 2014, 02:58

After weeks of suffering, I saw a second colorectal surgeon. This one didn't find a fissure, however, he did diagnose me with a bad case of Pruritis Ani (or "itchy butt.") Which explains why heat was a killer, but ice felt cool, And why the ointment Diltiazem exacerbated my situation. He said Pruritis Ani can hit people between the ages of 40-60, and can flare up during a particularly long hard time of stress --especially if the diet has gone to hell (which it had).

I purchased Desitin, and Calmoseptine. Within 24 hours, noticeable improvement. And today, no pain! In addition, I've stopped using wipes, and have turned to using a rinse bottle after a BM, and then carefully drying myself (a hairdryer works!). It helps a lot, and it reminded me of my travels through Asia --where toilet paper wasn't the norm as well. So I'm on the mend, but will still be watching my diet, and no caffeine. (Oh, sweet coffee, I do miss you! Quick, someone remind me how good it tastes!).

He also warned I could easily get a fissure if I scratch. So.... no scratching and I take a zyrtec or a benadryl before I go to bed (when Pruritis Ani is at its worse). One last thing --I've decided to invest in a Toto toilet with a washlet, and am having an electrical plug installed. If you haven't seen them check them out over here: Explore Toto Washlets, or watch it here on YouTube.
I'm going to be traveling a lot over the next few months! So I'll carry everything along with me, watch the diet, and exercise at least two hours a day. Am I worried? Well yes, very.
Again, thanks for your support the past two weeks. I was really glad i didn't wait, but went and got a second opinion as soon as I could.
Last edited by Daisy on 09 Sep 2015, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.
Daisy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Pruritis Ani: ONE YEAR LATER

Postby Daisy » 09 Sep 2015, 14:08

Hello again, friends! :lol:
After many doctor appointments last year, and finding out that I didn't have an AF, but Pruritis Ani, or the ITCH FROM HELL :evil: . I was devastated that the Colorectal surgeon, or my family practitioner, really didn't have any scures. So it's been a full year of ups and downs trying to find relief, and hopefully cure it. I counted at one point and had 5 different creams, only one that brought moderate relief, but I ended up developing a negative reaction to the menthol in it. (I would spend long periods of time in bed, with an ice pack on my bum). :scratch:

I tend to go up and down with this condition. In hot weather, it's considerably worse, wearing pants or shorts can be a real trial. The workplace can be risky. You don't want to be the person caught itching your bum. :oops: Night time sleep was almost impossible. But I finally I found a cream that really does work.

Here's my routine that worked for me. :heart:
1. Increase of fiber --Benefiber morning and night.
2. Use of "Pranicure," available only online. Okay, I used calmoseptine, but it has a slightly wet feel and I never could get fully dry. I think the reason for the "wetter" texture is that they sell it in a tube, so they have to add more moisture to make it flow.
So I ordered Pranicure. It took awhile to get here. (I don't know why they insist on using First Class Mail rather than Priority Mail. That's the only negative thing I can say about them).

Pranicure comes in a tub. It looks like Calmoseptine, but it's a dryer compound. I'm not sure what the chemical differences are between the two products, but perhaps they've added something that dries out the bottom area, thus taking care of the itch. I used it and immediately found the relief that I didn't find with Calmoseptine. Pranicure comes with loads of instructions, which I followed --using it only when I itched, as much as 6 times a day. Now, I only use it in the morning after a BM, and at night before I go to bed. Note: I only use finger cots when applying medications, and I use wet wipes, and then follow that up with dabbing the area with toilet paper. For really hot days, I have a fan in the bathroom. Yes, elaborate... my bathroom is like a freakin' sanctuary! :unicorn:

3. Changed diet to be more consistent --high in veggies and fruits, cutting back on carbs. Honestly, I haven't found that coffee makes a huge difference (I only take one cup a day), so but keeping a diet high in fiber has been good. I did --because I'm lactose intolerant, cut out dairy, which is critical to me so that I don't get the runs.
4. More sleep.
5. Walking everyday. Yes, exercise helps. Also, a pool is nice. I don't have one, but went away this weekend where there was one, and voila... it soaking really helped.
6. :flirt: If you're a female --ahem, and you are starting to suffer from vaginal dryness, address this immediately with Vagisil or some other OTC product. You don't want ANY itching down there whatsoever.
7. Zyrtec when I'm feeling allergic. When I had full blown pruritis ani, it would really help. Benadryl helped if I couldn't sleep at night. It reduced the itch and put me to sleep. Hopefully, you won't ever get a full blown case of PA like I did!
Anyway, I hope this helps. Pruritis Ani is awful, and I know there are others suffering with this. Best, Daisy :thankyou:
Last edited by Daisy on 09 Sep 2015, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy
Fibre Addict

Re: Pruritis Ani: THE ITCH FROM HELL

Postby msimon » 09 Sep 2015, 14:24

Thanks for coming back to share you experience with us. Glad to hear that something is helping you. I hope you continue to get better.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Daisy » 09 Sep 2015, 14:29

Thank you! And I really hope you get better as well. So far, so good over here. Fingers crossed I continue!
Daisy
Fibre Addict

Postby Maria1075 » 30 Sep 2016, 15:53

DAISY! I can't thank you enough for your thorough suggestions, especially the use of PRANICURE! The ointment, and the support provided by the founders, was life changing! Like several of you guys, I couldn't stand the constant urge to itch and tried countless products/diets/techniques that would slightly help, but then the anal itching would come back. It wasn't until I read your post, looked up Pranicure, and ordered a jar that things started to turn around. For anyone suffering with Pruritus Ani: Pranicure is LEGIT!! Best of luck to all with this horrible condition!
Maria1075

Postby Daisy » 30 Sep 2016, 19:48

Hi Maria, Thanks for the feedback. So glad everything worked out. The only thing I don't like about Pranicure is their price points (both for the product and shipping), and their shipping method. They are adamant about only using 3rd class mail for $10.00 shipping fee in a padded envelope, rather than stepping it up, and sending it first class or priority mail for a little bit more --and in a box. So if you find yourself running out, order more with at least 2-3 weeks lead time.

I think diet is the best thing to change, really cutting out carbs as much as possible, and bulking up on fresh fruit and veg. I still struggle with it, but not as much, and it's very rare that I use pranicure anymore. Calmoseptine, at this point, works just as well, and it's available at Walgreens. But Pranicure is still the best for when the Pruritis Ani is at its worse.

Also, do go get a physical and get full blood panels done. We found out that I had Graves Disease, which causes and increase in bowel movements, which was the start of the whole problem with Pruritis Ani.
So glad you conquered the itch!
Daisy
Fibre Addict