Wasting Away help!!!!!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Wasting Away help!!!!!

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Mar 2013, 05:32

Oh dear god, because of this healthy Fissure Diet I wasting away! Going under 8stone, bones everywhere! What can I eat that will put weight back on? Obviously something that will be friendly to my bottom, I need bulk!
I don't want to take protein because that would bulk up stools more?
Helpppppp. I might waste away in the next few weeks........
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Re: Wasting Away help!!!!!

Postby Jackmaniac » 21 Mar 2013, 06:22

Me too. i've gone from 112lb's to 101 in maybe 3 monthes :( I'm trying some of those Boost protein drinks, they have some fiber in them. Unsure if sold in the UK. I go to my GI tomorrow and'll see if my weight has changed more.
Jackmaniac
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby met6lqae » 21 Mar 2013, 10:23

Yeah guys, we've all been there. Scared to eat, or not eating because of that dreaded trip to the "Throne".
So what I did was simply pre-lubricate very well with petroleum jelly before any bm. Even if I had to go in public I still carried my jelly with me.
Dont be afraid to work that jelly way up in that canal where your fissure is. It will definitely help prevent re-tears and help on pushing out those harder stools through that last "construction area" we happen to call fissures.
Eat, its a catch-22 I know, but even your fissures needs some nutrients to heal. I have used those protein powders for a long time without any bulky stools.
Also cereal which is highly fortified may be a good balance any time of the day.
Keep searching, my solutions did not come until after about two decades before I squashed my fissures.
When things really were uncomfortable for my butt, I would go on a liquid diet, just to give my fissures a fighting chance to heal. Even calories in the form of liquids can add pounds to you.
Don't forget about your stool softeners. Good luck.
met6lqae
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Mar 2013, 11:27

Thankyou, I will try the drinks. I am lubricating pre BM. This does help! It is the pain afterwards!
I am on Dilt, but when I have the Botox I may do the blending liquid diet. I would give my right arm now to kick these fissures!
Very interesting how you got rid of yours. Were they chronic?
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby Jackmaniac » 21 Mar 2013, 11:42

I'm a little suspicious that part of my weight loss is due to the miralax :/ I think my body isn't absorbing as much from it. Plus fiberous foods are low in calories. Gahhh
Jackmaniac
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Mar 2013, 14:23

Ah yes, could be! I am getting plenty of food, it is too healthy and non fattening! I don't want to go out as people think I look ill. So frustrating!
Steak... Choccie yum. Grrr
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby owmybum » 21 Mar 2013, 14:57

Oh... If I had a pound for everyone that tells me how ill I look and that I should eat more... To which I reply... If you had a ripped bottom... Would you go around eating stodgy pizza??
I just try and add a good glug of olive oil and ground flax seeds to everything, especially my soup at lunchtime.
Just try. Not to worry about it.... Because worry makes the weight drop off too!!lol
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Luka » 21 Mar 2013, 15:14

I definitely understand about the weight loss. I was about 120 pounds in December when this started and am now 98 pounds. My boyfriend hates it because I'm bony and have lost a lot of the fat in my butt (I'm a pear shape and store most of my fat there). It's definitely more uncomfortable sitting down, in more ways than one!
Anyway, I really don't have much good advice because I'm struggling with the weight loss too. I haven't found much that helps because I don't eat very much in general and most of the foods I eat are low in calories. I'm adding more juice to my diet for the calories and seeing if that helps. I also love olive oil, but I don't think it's helping with weight gain. Soft nuts are good (like pecans and walnuts), if you can tolerate them, for the extra calories. Just make sure you chew them up really well.
I've never been a big eater and people always remark how little I eat and how skinny I am. It's even worse now, so I totally understand. I just say I have acid reflux (which is true) and have to watch my diet very closely. I don't mention my fissure to anyone except close family and friends because 99% of people don't understand and it's too personal to bring up.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby jr2 » 21 Mar 2013, 19:13

I'm in this club too at 98 pounds. But weight gain has been a problem my whole adult life, even before fissures, no matter how many calories I was eating a day. Fissures have just made things more difficult.
Last edited by jr2 on 24 Mar 2013, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
jr2

Topics: 15

Chronic you ask

Postby met6lqae » 22 Mar 2013, 09:04

Chronic ???
You bet they were chronic Rachael. Seeing your from the UK you may view the term a little differently. But hell yeah, mine were definitely recurring, and definitely persistence for over 20 years.
I'd get one, a week or two later its gone.
In comes Mr. BM to introduce me to a toilet full of rocks. Yet another 2-3 weeks. Hello old fissures, say hello to your neighbor fissure. I almost started to give my fissures personal names (just kidding).
But this scenario went on for over two decades.
On a scale of 1-10 the pain level probably maxed out at a strong seven or a weak 8. On a discomfort level that same 1-10 scale would have broken many times over.
I've had the multiple fissures at once, I had the spasms, I hated sitting in public because I knew my squirming would attrack attention and people would chuckle...."he he", that guy must have some huge hemorrhoids the way hes squirming."
Although both my parents had hems I guess I was "lucky" to only inherit its evil twin. My father ultimately had surgery on his sphincter and my mom, looking back all I remember as a kid was always seeing Dulcolax suppositories laying around in the bathroom.
Your talking to someone who literally would take a nice warm shower after every bm just to relieve the burning, spasms, itching etc. How about walking around in public with Tucks medicated pads stuck up your butt to relieve the burning, did that for the longest.
Yikes, you just brought back the memories of my battles flooding into me like a wildfire. It was a nightmarish lifestyle (as we all know) battling these itty bitty slits that you wouldn't think can cause soooooo much discomfort.
Rachael, keep up the fight, were counting on you.
Last edited by met6lqae on 22 Mar 2013, 09:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: more force needed
met6lqae
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1