Water and what else?????

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Water and what else?????

Postby fire-cracker » 04 Jun 2010, 10:49

I know that I am to drink water, water and more water, but what else is alright to drink. I might have a fews cups of coffee every week, and every now and then I sneak in about 1 cup of pepsi...but is there anything else that I could drink besides water. I have never been a water drinker, but wow....did that change after the fissure just out of fear of drinking anything else, but I am just looking for something that maybe I can put inplace of water occasionally. I will continue to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day, which by the way I am probably drinking 10-12 cups a day. Are any of the juices, that are fissure safe, alright to drink such as pineapple juice, grape juice, etc?
Thanks for any tips!!!!
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Water and what else?????

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jun 2010, 13:11

Well : (, coffee and anything with that amount of caffeine (as Cola) is a no-no since it has diuretic (dehydrating) effects on the body.
I drink herbal teas (mint, chamomile, hibiscus, etc.) and usually I do not use any sweetener. If you must - use Agave nectar - much healthier choice !
Very mild green tea also should be fine : )!
Natural juices of any kind are VERY OK and if with a pulp will add fiber too : )))) !!!!!
Hope this helps ; )
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 04 Jun 2010, 13:58

Hey Fissy i'm a big herbal tea drinker too, I also like green tea, rich in powerful anti-oxidants, it's good for the heart so must be good! :)
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jun 2010, 19:44

Oh don't you LOVE all varieties that are now available Image !!!! I am like a kid in a candy-store when I get into the "tea-shop" LOL
VERY healthy stuff all over ; )))) !!!!!! I wish I have a fancy tea-set Image ...oh well... one day Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby fire-cracker » 04 Jun 2010, 21:18

Yes Fisssulyna....I am loving that I can drink other things other than water. It's unreal the fear a fissure can put into you....like not knowing what to eat or drink. I struggle everyday because there are many times that I just don't want to eat for the fear of how it's going to come out Image
I also think that I have developed a fear/hatred of my bathroom Image The sad thing is...is that just last year I was sooooo excited to have my bathroom totally renovated and I loved it....now it's known as the dungeon of doom Image Maybe one day I will love my bathroom again.
Thanks everyone for your input. I seriouly don't know what I would do without all of you and this MB.
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 05 Jun 2010, 00:11

Aaaawe Fire-cracker Image , you are more than welcome !!!! And I completely understand all that you are going through Image - I was the same way as many other members are also, I am sure of that : (( !!! I lost 20 pounds in 5 mos when I first got my fissure. I am 5"6 and was 135 p before the fissure and the day I had my first LIS I was 116 p :( - just horrible what butt pain can do to a human :( :( :( .
I also developed aversion to my bathroom even though it is brand new home with granite and marble and travertine all over - I NEVER EVER went into that tub for the past 2 years after I healed Image. It has jets and looks at the fireplace - but lost allllll the charm for allllllll eternity for me !!!
I really hope that you will heal fast and be able to enjoy your new bathroom, though Image Image !!!!
Best of luck with it all Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby cherylk » 05 Jun 2010, 04:36

I think grape juice and prune juice are both good to drink (thins the stool)!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 05 Jun 2010, 15:48

I've tried prune juice, it's great if you can stomach it, as a rule though, i'm strictly water, between 1.5L and 2L p/d (religiously) I also find that slicing 4/5 lemons in half, placing them in a pan of water, bringing to the boil, pour into a cup, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of pure honey then drinking it helps, infact it doesn't interfere with my fissure at all, plus it helps stave off colds..
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby fire-cracker » 06 Jun 2010, 12:04

Yippie.....I went shopping this morning and bought myself a few different juices....Pineapple, Cranberry/Pomegranate and Apricot. I just hope my butt won't mind a little juice Image
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Postby Elfkin » 06 Jun 2010, 13:14

Now perhaps I believe this because it is music to my ears but see below.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5281046.stm
Basically anything that contains water has a hydrating effect. So you can drink tea and coffee if you like. However don't drink 10 double expressos! As i am sure that would have a diuretic effect. Actually I think coke is also full of caffeine. But normal strength tea has always been fine for me if I also drink about a litre of water as well per day.
Being english giving up tea isn't really possible! I'm not a big coffee drinker but the odd latte has never hurt me. Again I think the key is plenty of fluids in any form really. So as long as you some drink pure water everyday there is also room for tea, coffee (maybe coke even). Of course everyone is different and you know your own body best.
Elfkin
Salt Bather

Topics: 3