When will it go away???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

When will it go away???

Postby sadies-day » 26 Feb 2013, 15:41

I'm at my wits end here. Had LIS about 8 mos ago to deal with a chronic fissure and tag that was causing significant irritation but little pain. The CRS said the fissure healed up fine. Unfortunately, I'm still dealing with some irritation. Not all the time but more often than not. Typically I use a personal lubricant just prior to going to make wiping easier. If it's messy, I'll then use some Balneol cream. If I experience minor irritation afterwards, I'll apply some coconut oil. If there's moderate irritation I'll resort to the Calmoseptine lotion. I've added significantly more fiber to my diet (Metamucil) and have cut way back on coffee and now totally avoid popcorn. Occasionally, like today, I'll also have some bleeding. For example, last night I had a small BM that cleaned up easily with no post-BM irritation. Over the course of today, I noticed things getting itchy down there. Sure enough when I got home and checked there was some leakage and some blood on the toilet paper. What would be causing this periodic bleeding? Is it something I ate? Is the skin still very fragile following surgery? Any thoughts would be most welcome. I'm trying to avoid going back to the CRS since my insurance has changed and it will cost me significantly more out of pocket then before.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: When will it go away???

Postby aimonaali » 26 Feb 2013, 23:04

Well the skin on the anus is quite fragile even for people who haven't had surgeries or fissures and "normal" peolpe can also have some bleeding after BMs.
The site of the fissure never really goes away even after the fissure itself has healed. So it can get irritated and even bleed from time to time. What LIS does or at least is supposed to do is to prevent the full fissure of coming back.
You probably should go and see some doctor who can check you out just to make sure. I too have some leakage but not really much irritation three months after LIS.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby sadies-day » 27 Feb 2013, 04:33

Thanks. I was thinking about it more last night and I remembered I had some pretzels over the weekend. I tend to eat quite fast so maybe a larger pretzel chunk didn't get digested enough and when it passed it caused a small tear.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby sadies-day » 15 Mar 2013, 03:12

I'm an idiot. After recovering and enjoying several good days, I go and eat some crusty bread and potato chips over last weekend. Not to mention a very large cup of coffee and slacking off on my fiber. Sure enough, Monday's BM brought on the oh-so-not-nice feeling. This time around I can feel an actual nick in the skin - not particularly painful but enough to let you know it's there. So now I'm back to square one. I just hope the muscle tone is still relaxed enough after 9 mos. post LIS that it'll heal quickly and not become chronic.
sadies-day
Salt Bather