Wound not healing - suggestions gratefully received

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Wound not healing - suggestions gratefully received

Postby Jacquie44 » 14 Jul 2012, 08:00

Hi all. I first want to say thanks to everyone on here who has (unknowingly!) reassured and helped me since my surgery. I haven't been able to join before (IT issues), but would like to share my story and seek advice from those who have gone through this before. After several years of intermittent pain, variously diagnosed as haemerrhoids, a fissure, pressure from my irritable bowel, stress and so on, my GP (I am in the UK) referred me to a consultant. I was examined over various appointments but the consultant could not do a proper exam as it was too painful. All he could say was that I had several skin tags, which could be contributing to my pain. I had a colonoscopy which showed nothing except a lazy bowel. Meanwhile, I went through the pain that you all know about. I was OK actually passing a BM - didn't hurt at all - but almost immediately afterwards the pain would start, accompanied by leakage which caused painful irritation. I was never constipated, but have an irritable bowel and go frequently. Eventually I was referred for examination under anaesthetic. When I came to, the surgeon said there was a fissure, but it was nearly healed. He said they had excised it anyway (not sure what that means). They had also removed 3 skin tags. I went through the same difficulties described by others on here, took some of the advice, but 8 weeks on am still suffering discomfort and pain after BMs, and some leakage. Finally had my follow up appointment on Wednesday, and was told that one of the skin tag wounds was still open, which it should not be. If it is not healed in 4 weeks, the consultant wants me to have Botox to help it heal. I don't think I want this - I'm not sure how Botox can help an external wound heal, and don't want the side effects. But I am seeking advice and other experiences so that when I return on 9 August, I am clear what I want to do. Really grateful for any help anyone can offer and thanks again for being there the last 8 weeks. :D
Jacquie44

Topics: 1