WOW, JUST FOUND OUT I HAD AN ABCESS AND FISTULA AND HAD SURG

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: WOW, JUST FOUND OUT I HAD AN ABCESS AND FISTULA AND HAD SURG

Postby Guest » 12 Sep 2011, 16:00

Image Aww Image your cinnamon roll. That's hilarious!
I'm not sure if you are naturally a small person or not but I've always been 20 lbs over weight pretty much my whole adult life- unless I was starving on a diet or had a fissure Image
I'm not sure what the hell happened, but after my surgery and like you said starving for a year, my metabolism must be really out of whack. I have never gained weight so fast in my life!! Image I think my body grabbed every calorie and hung on for dear life!!
In all honesty I had a hard time eating at all with my fissure. I think I was consuming less than 500 calories a day in the end.
Ahh yes you are lucky with the chocolate Image !! Halloween's coming up Image ! My little girl better hide her candy! I think I ate all her reese's cups last year( 12 days post-op) :oops: :oops:

Postby adam » 12 Sep 2011, 22:10

Hey dawn!!! <3
Hopetoheal, my wound looks the same as it did from day 1 lol... I just recently got a good idea of how it works. It's basically a cut out of the natural wall to the fistula hole. We need to keep it spread open so it doesn't close back up!
If you're eating sweets i advise you as a friend to stop completely. I don't know if i'll ever have coffee again, i don't even know why i liked it. I've never felt better without it.
Dawn, i haven't been in as perfect shape as i have ever been than now. My routine of makin meals for the first half of the week on sundays will probably stay with me forever now. I'm eating alot, and it's all good stuff, but body fat % is really low, and i see double the results than i used to after working out
Hopetoheal, about working out, i think it is slowing down my healing, but it is my only bad habit besides smoking. I lift heavy weights but i'm not holding my breathe even slightly to lift. That is the key my doc told me.
I think i remember you said you're petite, so i would suggest starting off with 5 lb dumbells to curl, and do them stanDing up keeping your knees slightly bent, back perfectly straight, and breathing deeply and slowly. Do as many curls as you can as SLOW as you can until your arms feel like they're gonna fall off lol.. And do that 3 times drinking PLENTY of water.
As for squats, keep the same procedure, but you can hold those dumbells in your hands while you do the squats. Never tighten your bum muscles either to do a curl or squat, if you do, then lessen the weight. Even to get wrist weights or ankle weights and laying down with them strapped on doing full ranges of motion with your arms or legs is good.
The alchohol didn't constipate at all!! It just caused bleeding!! It's a nono definitely.
I don't take stool softeners and never did. You should try to cut down on the smoking. They for sure dry us up inside.
My last followup was a month ago and the next one is soon.
Well i'll be back to check up agaun soon, love you guys!
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2011, 05:17

Aww Adam Image So good to hear from you! That's awesome you are staying healthy. I eat more veggies than I ever have in my life. I will always keep up my healthy habits. I just need to kick some of the bad ones too.
I think being deprived for so long made me kind of crazy. I was very thin with my fissure. Lost my butt and my boobs Image My spine was sticking out so bad that I had a sore on my back from soaking in the tub. No body fat at all and it was gross to be honest.
I definitely need to cut out the junk now though!! I've had my fun, Lol.
Don't be a stranger! Take care:)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Sep 2011, 07:57

I was also alarmingly thin when I had my fissure! I am naturally small, always about 10-15lbs underweight, and so when I lost another 15lbs my whole system crashed. Poor you, Dawn - I know what you went through! I also had a hard time soaking in the tub because my spine was poking out so much that I developed bruises and sores. I could see all my ribs and my hip bones were jutting out. I was a skeleton - NOT sexy! Image My family and I got so desperate that we tried every high-calorie food we could think of. The problem now is, I've developed a bit of an addiction to cinnamon rolls. Image But you're right, Adam, I must cut that stuff out of my diet now that I'm back to a healthy weight - and quit smoking!
Thanks so much, Adam, for the advice about the weights. I want to get back to my workouts, because I find that more exercise helps me cut down the smoking - that's even how I quit a number of years ago. After a while, huffing and puffing everytime you work out just gets annoying! I think I'll start with the wrist and ankle weights you suggested. That sounds like a safe way to ease back into working out until I'm feeling strong enough to move to the other techniques you suggested. :D One thing I have to be careful about is fainting - I've already done that and it really sucked! While I had my fissure I was also struggling with a malabsorption problem that seems to be resolving now. But it left me EXTREMELY weak as well as alarmingly thin. Now I must get B12 shots and I'm on doctor-supervised mega-doses of vitamins and probiotics. But if I'm smart, like you, I'll use this as an opportunity to make significant life-style changes and turn into a health-nut. That actually sounds pretty good to me. :D My hubby and I have been paying a lot more attention to preparing healthy meals now too. We also spend a good part of the weekend preparing healthy stuff we can eat during the week when we get busy. I don't even crave fast-food either - just the dern cinnamon rolls! Image
My wound looks like it's gradually filling in a bit. I think I'll always have a bit of a ditch there, but that's not a big deal. You're right that we have to keep it open so it heals properly, but that sure makes for a long healing process! :roll: Image
I hope your next follow-up goes brilliantly! Let us know how it goes and how you're doing. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby adam » 21 Oct 2011, 23:06

Hey guys :)
I had my 3rd follow up last week 3 months after my fistula op..
A little recapof my follow ups is:
1st follow up- doc said i was pulling the wound open wide enough in the shower.. But should be healed in a month
2nd follow up- doc said i still wasn't pulling wide enough. Told me to stick my finger lathered with soap up my rectum everytime i clean. And that i should be healed in a month.
Now for my third follow up. Can you say third time is the charm? I was a bit afraid it wasn't healing well because i noticed 30 min to 1 hr after cleaning after a bm or not, i would feel pinching pain.
But when i dropped my pants for the doc, he said "OH" in a weird tone so i was thinking the worst, but the nurse was actually giggling. The doc said to me "do you know why she's laughing?" i said "no, why" and he said "because it's soooo clean".. He didn't even put a finger near my rectum all he did was spread one of my cheeks a bit.
He said that i don't need to come for anymore follow ups unless i think i need to, and he says i'm doing a great job.
The finger thing has to be the key factor to the cleanliness.. I'm noticing visually that it is healing and the pain during bm's has become absent more and more everyday.
I'm still in the amazing diet since it's working so well
Hope you're all okay and if anyone has any questions don't be afraid to pm me
adam
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 22 Oct 2011, 08:17

Awesome, Adam!!!! Image Thanks for the update. It's very nice of you go come by to let us know how you're doing. I'm so happy you are doing so well. Congratulations on having the cleanest butt in the GTA! (Maybe even the world :D )
Your information makes me feel a lot better. I was getting worried that maybe I wasn't healing properly. I was still getting some milky white exudate until about a week ago. Now it seems to have stopped. I still sometimes bleed a wee bit during BMs too, but that seems to be slowing down too. I had two episodes where I bled more than usual, so I called my surgeon and I'm going to see my surgeon on Wednesday so I'll give an update. All in all, I do feel like I'm healing (KOW!). It just seems to be an incredibly slow process. I am really happy that there's no pain Image
I'm so glad you got the "all clear" and that you are healing nicely. Isn't not have pain wonderul? I'm sure that means that very soon you will not only have a very clean butt, but a very healthy one too. :)
It's so good to hear your good news. I hope you have a great day! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby adam » 27 Oct 2011, 15:48

Aww great to hear that you're doing well hope! I still get the white sometimes lime green puss but i know it's very clean down there so i'm not worried at all. Since the last post iade a few days ago my healing has actually shot up in progress, feeling less and less pain. And guess what? I had a bowel movement at work today for the first time amd it went great, for some reason there was more blood than usual, probably because i had a lot of gas today though lol. But i cleaned up with baby wipes, dried with kleenex, and stuffed a corn starched cotton ball after and it felt normal :)
I think i should be completely healed if i stick to this routine of eating healthy and trying to take a shower right after every bm in a month or so. I hope you heal just as fast or faster hope Image ttyl
adam
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 27 Oct 2011, 18:41

Yay, Adam! I'm so glad you're doing so well! I'm sure you're going to be completely healed very soon.
Here's to our soon-to-be completely healthy butts! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby adam » 25 Dec 2011, 10:00

Merry christmas everyone!
For those who don't know, i had my fistula surgery done in july. I have been very careful with it this whole time, strictly eating only what the doctor and everyone here has told me. A beer here and there at parties, but ofcourse followed by just as much water.
My fistula still hasn't healed 100% where i can stop cleaning it with water and soap after a bm. However, the pain has gone away i think. Even after eating some junk food, the bm has been o.k. However there is still some puss discharging.
The doctor said i would've been healed in a month, then next month, then next month lol. Then told me i am taking good care of myself and didn't need another follow up as long as i kept up the good work, and i should be healed in a month.
Now iy's 2 months after that and i feel i am healing and i'm not feeling worse. I remember saying on this forum that i'd be healed by february. I hope i am right, and that i can go back to NOT cleaning my ass after every bm.
adam
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 25 Dec 2011, 20:41

Merry Christmas Adam! Hopefully February will bring complete healing for you. It's great that you aren't in any pain now! No pain~ is gain when it come to our butts! That's good news :)