WOW, JUST FOUND OUT I HAD AN ABCESS AND FISTULA AND HAD SURG

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: WOW, JUST FOUND OUT I HAD AN ABCESS AND FISTULA AND HAD SURG

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jul 2011, 13:40

Hey Summer - that colonoscopy stuff is truly disgusting (ugh!). Poor you, it even made you throw up! :( The nurse where I got mine asked me how much I weigh before she told me the dose. I didn't weigh much at all, so I had to take smaller doses, which might explain why I didn't throw up, even though I wanted to! I hope you get good results.
I think you've got a very good menu so far. As far as post-op meals go, I think a lot depends on how your stomach and bowels are feeling. I had very loose BMs post-op, so I ate more solid food with soluable fiber (squash, potatoes, peas, and oatmeal). Other people have harder and more formed stools, so they might eat soup and more green veggies post-op (soluable fiber, like spinach, will keep things moving more quickly so that the stool doesn't harden). My diet included very well cooked (steamed) veggies, brown rice, fish and very well cooked chicken. The day after my LIS, I cheerios for breakfast, scrambled eggs and wholewheat toast for lunch, and salmon and broccoli for dinner. There are a lot of great meal ideas and excellent advice in the topic on diet tips too.
I hope you're having a good day - not long now until you are really on the road to healing!
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 26 Jul 2011, 15:57

Thanks for the diet tips Hope,a nd I will check out the diet section on this site too.
Well, I am finished with the colonoscopy, but still don't know much. The doctor talked to my dad, who was clueless on what to ask. I guess that was my fault. I should have given him a list of questions.
Apparently he removed a polyp (sp?). My dad told me he removed a hemorroid. hehe The nurse later clarified. She said he didn't think it looked cancerous, but they are sending it to be tested...so of course, now another thing to be nervous about.
I am going to call tomorrow and see about the rest and what final methods he is going to use.
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jul 2011, 17:17

Try not to worry too much, Summer. I know that's hard, but polyps are pretty common. Most are benign, and removing pre-cancerous ones usually fixes the problem. Colon cancer is one of the few cancers that is quite
preventable with regular colonoscopies and polyps removal, from what I've read. So many of my relatives have had polyps removed over the years. It is, of course, still a good idea to speak to your doc and get the details. But I'm quite sure you'll learn that everything is ok.
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 26 Jul 2011, 17:30

Thanks Hope! You always have a way to make me feel less worried. Thank you for being such a big help to me with this, and putting up with all my worries! I will let you all know what the doc says, when I find out.
p.s. Do you think Adam is out having a yummy pizza tonight? hehe I am jealous!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby busybrooke3 » 26 Jul 2011, 18:50

dexterdude- Hi, I'm new to this group and I've been looking for someone who has had a fissurectomy & botox. I am scheduled for both on August 3rd. I have had a bad fissure for almost a year, the pain is horrible. I am nervous about the proceedure and wondering if you can shed some light on what the pain/healing process was like after yours? I will be put under, thank God! I would love to hear your experience.
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 26 Jul 2011, 19:55

Busybrooke,
You may want to ask this question in Dexterdude's surgery thread. He may not notice it here. Image I posted his surgery thread in you other post also along with a few others who either had Botox and/or Fissurectomy recently. :)
Hope this helps!
http://anal-fissure.org/t3070-my-story-so-far

Postby Deleted User 579 » 27 Jul 2011, 08:45

No problem at all Summer - I'm happy to help when I can :)
I think Adam is probably busy feasting on pizza and cheeseburgers! At least I hope so ... I'm jealous too!
Have you talked to your doc yet? I'm sending positive vibes so that it's all good news! Let us know how it goes. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 27 Jul 2011, 17:30

I haven't heard back yet. I left a message today, so maybe by tomorrow. I have one more day tomorrow of "freedom", before the big day. GULPPPPPPP!!! I can't believe it's almost here. I noticed my follow up appointment is for 5 weeks. Does that sound too far out?
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby SummerGal » 27 Jul 2011, 22:55

I just thought of another question. Will it hurt a lot when I sit in the car on the way home, or will I still be numbed up? How soon before you could sit without a lot of pain?
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Jul 2011, 08:33

Hey Summer - I had my follow-up scheduled for about 2 weeks after my LIS and follow-ups were scheduled for 10 days after my fistulotomy, and then another follow-up 10 days after that. I have a final follow-up Aug 31st. I don't think that 5 weeks is a big problem, but maybe you could ask if it's possible for you to have your follow-up sooner, like maybe 2 or 3 weeks post-op, and then have another follow-up about 2 weeks later. The reason I suggest this is because I was given the "all clear" during the follow-up to the LIS; the doc told me I was fine and to go on with my life. But I developed an abscess and fistula not quite 4 weeks after the LIS. My new surgeon (the one who did the fistulotomy) wanted to see me three times. It was a good idea to have an earlier follow-up after my fistulotomy too, because it's pretty important that the fistulotomy wound heal correctly - but you can make sure that happens by following cleaning instructions. Anyway, it might be worth asking about.
I didn't have much butt pain immediately after either of my surgeries. I was able to sit for a while. I think a lot will depend on how long you have to sit. Your butt will be numb for a while, so it shouldn't hurt to sit (although the packing can be a bit uncomfortable). But if you have a drive of an hour or more, you might be happier if you lie down in the back seat. I'm assuming you have arranged to have someone drive you home (?)
I was able to sit pretty comfortably after the first week post-op. I could sit a few days after the surgeries, but not for a long time.
I hope this helps! :D
Deleted User 579