11 months..and counting

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: 11 months..and counting

Postby msimon » 30 Nov 2015, 00:02

Oh yes, it can be very foggy indeed ;)
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby hopefull » 30 Nov 2015, 03:52

Hi Canadabum, just caught up on what's been going on for you. It sounds quite confusing with the return of blood and spasms, so sorry to hear that. Hope your water meditation helped to relax you. For me imagining that I am opening slowly and controlled helps to sort the clench, like I'm dilating. Have you thought of doing some dilation? It took me ages to try it out but it's not as major as I thought it was going to be. Not sure if it will help but it did reduce the pain for me.
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Canadabum » 08 Dec 2015, 23:24

Hi All...I wanted to post an update as i had an appointment with a gastroenterologist today...this appointment was set up 8 freakin months ago...that is how long it takes to see a good doc in my city. Absurd!

Anyways, the gastro took my history and then did a finger exam and also did an exam with a proctoscope. The finger exam was not too bad (bad enough though!) but I did notice i felt somewhat more pain than my last digital exam...so something is more inflamed for sure. The scope was also not too bad...but not something i would choose to do on a sunday afternoon if you get my drift.

So the doc basically told me that he did not feel any fissure and also did not see a fissure -- however, he said that he saw some redness and inflammation in my posterior...which is where the fissure was.

He suggested that I drink 8 cups of water each day and make sure that it becomes a religious undertaking (approx 2 litres of water). He also said I should take metamucil on top of my already fiber filled diet. I questioned him on this as I told him i found in my early days that metamucil bulked my stool up and made it more uncomfortable...he asked me how long i initially stuck with it...it was approx 4 weeks....to which he told me that it really takes 6 weeks for metamucil to work properly in the system and that only after that amount of time can you guage its utility etc...has anyone else heard this??

I told him about my intermittent bleeding and pain...and asked if that was "normal" was it a bad sign...what is it?? He basically said -- yup, its normal for someone who has dealt or dealing with a fissure. He was not too surprised and did not have any further insights or suggestions on my inflammation and discomfort.

He did say...and i must add here that it is easy for him to say this....that he believed that i would get better. So for all of us who have been dealing with this for a year plus...i was told today by a guy who has examined thousands of fissures and tens of thousands of butts....that yes, it can resolve after a year, two....so keep the faith (i am telling myself that...as i need to hear it too...every day!).

So I will increase my water, i will use the metamucil and let you all know if it helps (I am doubtful...but will try).

I am trying to focus on his message that he thinks i will heal fully...though he did say that if it gets worse that really the person i should see is a surgeon and not him again...i totally agree.

I hope you are all well....and doing a bit better each day.

Best to all,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby hopefull » 09 Dec 2015, 02:55

Hi Canadabum, glad to hear you saw a 'good' Dr today. I haven't checked in after seeing my new surgeon but he said exactly the same as your doctor. He said I have no fissure, not to worry about the bleeding and to cut the movicol and start taking the fibre. Like you I tried it in the early days and then decided it was too bulking. So I have started taking psyllium again morning and midday and taking half movicol at night but thinking of swapping out the evening movicol for fibre. My surgeon also said wait another 3 months and time will sort it out. I'm already stopping the ointments too, my surgeon said can use ultraproct to soothe if need be. Interesting that he said it takes 6 weeks for the fibre to work properly, will be good to check in again in 6 weeks and see if either of us see a difference.

I asked my surgeon, what about the lingering pain and he said it's common but he can't explain it, did your surgeon say anything about that?
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Canadabum » 09 Dec 2015, 11:36

Hopefull...good to hear from you. I think we joined this forum around the same time and have been merrily walking down the same yellow brick road for a while...hope there is a genie at the end...lol.

Very interesting that we seem to be in similar states right now. When did you see the surgeon? What form of psyllium are you taking?

My doc told me to keep using the movicol/restoralax for 6 weeks while using the metamucil (which is a psyllium powder)...he said that once i hit 6 weeks he would recommend i then start weaning off the movicol but to do it slowly and no need to be abrupt or aggressive with weaning.

In addition he actually told me that I should start using a cream/ointment again for another month or so -- he prescribed diltiazem...so i will start that up again.

I did ask him specifically about my pain, blood and weird feelings -- all of which he had not concrete answer but did say it was all "normal" for someone who has dealt/dealing with a fissure. My sense is that if that area is irritated, inflamed in any way then we feel it very acutely because there are so many nerves and pain receptors down there.

One more ? for you -- what is ultraproct? Anything to help soothe is welcome and I have never come across this product. How does it help you?

Bottom line is my doc believes I will get better...thinks that i should add fibre to my diet by way of psyllium and be more aggressive with drinking water and use the diltiazem...all of which I will do in a effort to rid myself of this.

I wish both of us the best of luck...I will continue posting my progress in hopes of getting feedback and ideas as to how i can optimally heal/get better and would love to hear from you on your progress...sounds like you are doing great (all things considered and relative to where we both were!).

All best - CB.
Canadabum

Postby felix » 09 Dec 2015, 15:13

Hi guys and thanks for posting this info!! I am also in a similar boat in terms of weird sensations and on/ off pain.. It is so frustrating but so reassuring to have that reminder that this is a really slow process but we have to have patience. I hope you both get well soon and we can all Poo happily again one day!
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby owmybum » 11 Dec 2015, 12:12

I'm so glad to hear everything has healed!

The pain you are feeling is probably neuropathic pain lingering on from the trauma of having an injured butt for so long.

It will get better in time... But it can take quite a bit of time.

Just keep reminding yourself that you are not tearing any more.... And you are physically better..... It's now just a matter of getting your brain to catch up with that thought!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby hopefull » 11 Dec 2015, 15:05

Hi Canadabum, how is the fibre going?
To answer a few of your questions, I'm taking pysllium hydrophilic mucilloid, I saw the surgeon last week. Ultraproct is a topical steroid, it is a anti inflammatory.

Interesting to hear that your doctor said to stay on the movicol for a while, I had quite a firm BM this morning so will definitely stay on at least a half dose every evening, especially to get through Christmas eating.
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Canadabum » 12 Dec 2015, 08:57

Not to jinx myself...but I can honestly report that the combo of a 3/4 teaspoon of moral ax with one dose of Metamucil in the morning and evening has so far been excellent for me. Easy to pass, no pain, no blood, no spasms. I can't believe how decent I am feeling.

Aside from that I do take a 10min sitz bath after my bm.

The doc told me to use diltiazem -- did for two days only to have a rash begin so I have quit. Once the itch and rash are gone I will use the rest of the nifedipine that I still have.

So far so good.

Hope you are all well -
CB
Canadabum

Postby Canadabum » 12 Dec 2015, 09:01

Haha...autocorrect...should be Miralax.

Omb and hopeful - thanks for the info.

Felix...hang in there, time is your friend (so are heating pads, water, fibre, etc etc ;)

CB
Canadabum