4th day post surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 4th day post surgery

Postby dano » 08 May 2007, 20:04

ahhhh,thats what they are....i figured it was some type of drawers.has the pain settled down now or is it stll hurting...
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 09 May 2007, 07:53

"discomfort" rather than "pain" would be a better description in light of the PAIN experiaenced pre surgery.
It comes and goes. This morning on arising felt nothing in the nether region so to say. However, had two BMs by 9:30 (without any pain fissure or otherwise I might add). By 9:45 my behind was sort of aching/throbbing/itching. Yesterday, I took it real easy and yet still had some aching/throbbing/itching , layed on a heating plad for a bit in the afternoon and it subsided. Felt fine through the evening.
I think this part of the normal healing process. I advocate the use of one of those donut cushions. I have noted a distinct difference in how I feel if I use it while sitting as opposed to sitting with direct pressure on the surgical/fissure site.
Remember, lots of water and fiber.
GOD Bless All!!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 May 2007, 08:42

how I feel if I use it while sitting as opposed to sitting with direct pressure on the surgical/fissure site.
Just be careful, the donut will still stretch out and flatten things down there. I became adept at sitting on one cheek or the other, have you tried that?
You still have a couple weeks before you really need to sit flat directly on your tail. As long as i used the cheek method, I was fine. But even three weeks out I got a brief sharp pain and realized I was sitting flat on a wooden chair...
And I'm sure you were warned about bending over...lifting, any unusual motions to the muscle groups in the general area?
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 09 May 2007, 11:51

Kim,
Your post is an example of why this forum is so helpful.
Believe it or not , the orders that my surgeon sent me home with said nothing about not bending, not lifting, not straining etc.... His orders stated that I could return to "normal " activities after 48 hours.and to take two sitz baths per day along with 40 vicodin and about a 60 day supply of lidocain.
I am here to tell you that I was no way near able to return to "normal" activity after 48 hours . I don't think I am able to go back to normal activity today and it has now been 1 week since I had my LIS . If I had not been tuned into this forum I would have felt like I was doing very poorly and I believe I would have made a number of mistakes (more than I have). I will be interested to discuss this issue with the surgeon when I go to see him on the 15th for a post op. visit.

Today has been a pretty darn good and healing day.

GOD Bless All!!

Postby Guest » 09 May 2007, 12:16

Glad to hear you are on the up and up! I think many doctors give patients unrealistic expectations as to when they should feel better and then they end up feeling like there is something wrong with them if they don't follow that time line. So it is good to talk to some real patients who have been through it like on here!
Thanks for contributing here and answering questions! That has been great!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 May 2007, 16:29

Well, you should have had MY surgeon. He warned me that it was a 2 -3 week recovery.
When I went back to him 3 weeks after the surgery, almost the first thing he said, was, "I told you it was a hard recovery...."
But it was a nurse who told me not to bend over, or squat. And not to lift anything heavy for 4 -6 weeks. She saw me bend down to pick up my bag as I was leaving to go home and that's what got me the warning.
Having been on this board for a while, I have seen that Dr.s orders vary widely and are all over the board. Of course, a younger person like Lecia or Fletch would recover a bit faster than you or I would be expected to.
But every day you are closer to normalcy.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 09 May 2007, 16:32

Thanks for lumping me in the younger category, KB, although I am the senior female around here by about 10 years I think!

Postby Guest » 09 May 2007, 16:59

Well I may have messed up today . I got so bored and I felt so good and I needed to get so much stuff done here on the farm that I put in a good number of hours on the tractor w/out pain, and several hours running errands and working a little bit in the barn. So far it does not seem to be bothering me . I hope it continues.
Thanks
Take care all and GOD Bless!!

WA aka MB

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 May 2007, 18:43

Stay off that tractor..really....you REALLY may injure yourself and wind up back needing a surgeon again. Please wait another 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, OK MB?
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 11 May 2007, 06:19

Yeah, I think we are going to have to do an intervention with you, MB to keep you off the tractor! These things will wait. I know it is hard when you see things that need doing (I am the same way) but Kim is right, we don't want you to have setbacks and end up needing more time to recuperate.
How are you doing today?