advice on surgery

Chronic fisure need advice on surgery option

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: advice on surgery

Postby Mypoorbutt » 14 Dec 2016, 16:50

I agree it's easy for others to say stay positive....the only thing that gives me hope is knowing that I can if needed force a colostomy but it's a bit wrong when the only positive thing is the possibility of a colostomy.
I truly do believe now that unless you have gone through a fissure lasting a while then it's pretty impossible yo understand the impact it has. My crohns and IBS together didn't impact me as much as this blooming fissure has....heck I turned down a colostomy years ago when my crohns was really bad lol
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Becka456 » 14 Dec 2016, 16:52

Is the colostomy when they put in a bag? I always wondered why that's not offered more surely that has to be an easier way for a fissure to heal?!
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby Mypoorbutt » 14 Dec 2016, 17:04

Yes it is but it's major surgery and even with crohns I would have to starve myself to the point of liver failure ( I have a dodgy liver) for them to agree to it....you need to be bed bound with crohns for a year for them to agree to it. I have lots of friends who have a colostomy because of crohns and their lives are much better but I do understand it's a big step....I may consider flap surgery before forcing the colostomy if my LIS doesn't work. One of my crohns friends had fissures too and said they healed in 2 months after her colostomy so yes it does work great on fissures lol.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Becka456 » 14 Dec 2016, 17:32

Wow that is a lot to deal with! I guess the skin flap surgery is always worth a go first if the LIS doesn't work, that op just scares me for some reason think it's because I know I will tear it open in the first week lol a friend of mine with crohns had a fistula laid open and had the muscle cut but I think it was a very large amount of the muscle she's ok now regards to fissures and pain but has to take medication every day for the rest of her life just to control the incontinence so that she can go out and live a normal life.
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 14 Dec 2016, 18:10

Yes it's not great and I don't particularly fancy going down that route lol.
Crohns is an awful illness mine isn't too bad at the moment thankfully it's mainly my IBS that's causing the problems lol.
Gosh your poor friend, you would think with modern medicine doing heart and lung transplants they could find something to sort the colon and rectum out but noooo we just have to try and carry on as best we can often in serious pain.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Katie » 15 Dec 2016, 08:07

Just got my operation date through the 19th January I'm feeling scared and emotional xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Becka456 » 15 Dec 2016, 08:22

Oh Katie I know how you feel, having an operation is such a scary thing especially when you don't know what to expect after! I'm a wimp I have all my operations awake as I'm scared to be put to sleep one of my major phobias! Have they told you what your having done yet or you still got to wait for your MRI? Xx
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Dec 2016, 08:29

Hi, Katie
At least you have a date now so you can start planning and know that next year will be so much better than this one.
I agree with Becka all surgery is scary when I had my Botox I was sobbing literally but they were very nice and helped me to calm down...I was still scared with my LIS it's only normal it's not natural to be put to sleep.
Just try and focus on how better you will feel after this is all done
Mypoorbutt

Postby Katie » 15 Dec 2016, 08:47

Thankyou both of you! I'm just so worry what will it be like then i wake up and what pain will I be in but I can ask my surgeon all this on the 10th Jan when I see her next she has to wait and see the MRI first before she knows for sure what op to do but she us hoping to do the op were your cut!!!!!! :( I keep thinking what if I don't heal or don't heal right can I get another fistula?? My doctor said it will be a good while before I'm better and a nurse will have to help with changing dressing Omg I feel sick!!!
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Becka456 » 15 Dec 2016, 08:52

Bless you that's exactly what I worry about the pain after, will it heal and will I get another infection so it's totally normal to feel that way all we can do is cling on to hope that it won't be as bad as what goes through our minds and that this could finally be the end! I have had the cutting out twice one with Botox and one without, and I was petrified both times, just make sure pain killers are taken regular and that you rest a lot, I made sure I didn't go to the loo for a few days after just for the soreness to settle x
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here