AF back after years of only minor issues

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

AF back after years of only minor issues

Postby Bum_UK » 04 Apr 2017, 04:22

Hello all!

A bit of background information: I self diagnosed an AF back in spring 2007 and managed to get it under control with diet and MoM. I switched to lactulose in spring 2009 and it went ok until I had a major setback (not as bad as the current one!) in November 2010. I went to the GP who diagnosed what he called a nasty looking anal fissure. He prescribed Movicol and it cleared up in around a week. I continued to use Movicol and bought it over the counter. Fast forward to March 2014. The Movicol made things too soft and I decided to stop it and use lactulose instead. It took less then a week for me to have pain and blood with BMs. The pain went away straight after the BM. I went back to the GP and he prescribed a hemmoroid cream and gave me a one year repeat prescription for Laxido. The AF cleared up within a week or two again.

Fast forward to March 2017. I had read that PEG3350 is on the FDA watch list and decided that I should perhaps try lactulose again as I've been on Movicol/Laxido pretty much non-stop since November 2010. It took five days for me to get constipated (I followed th directions on the lactulose bottle) and voila I was in agony after a BM and it did not go away. It's a burning and spasm sensation and extremely painful. I went back in the Movicol on the Thursday morning as I hoped making the stool nice and soft would sort things out. I barely slept the next two nights and got an appointment with my GP on Friday afternoon. He didn't examine me but quizzed me about my symptoms. He prescribed diltiazem and as some of you has seen from an earlier post it takes a while for pharmacies in the UK to source it. I went to the largest Boots in the nearby city on Friday and I'm still waiting for it to arrive (Tuesday). They've been good and called me with an update both Saturday and yesterday. It should arrive today and tomorrow.

I think I'm improving but I'm in total agony for around six hours after my morning BMs. Im one of those people who've always had three to five daily BMs but I've fortunately only had two daily BMs in recent days. It's the extreme burning combined with spasms which makes it impossible to be comfortable sitting down, standing up or lying down. The good news, I guess, is that the extreme pain tapers off after around six hours and I've actually only had very little pain from the late afternoon onwards the last coupe of days. I'm using a hemmie cream with lidocaine at the moment but it doesn't seems to help at all with the pain.

I think I have a hemorrhoids too as I feel something smooth hanging down slightly from inside the anus to the outside. I clearly feel the fissure at the six o'clock position but the hemorrhoid or whatever it is is also somewhat painful.

I think I just needed to vent a bit as I'm at wits end and very worried that the pain won't go away when I start the diltiazem or that it will aggregate the hemorrhoid. I've had AF pain before but fortunately only during and right after BMs. This pain stops me doing anything useful at all until the late afternoon. That's the end of my ever so slight rant! :)
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: AF back after years of only minor issues

Postby patience_and_healing » 04 Apr 2017, 18:57

Your fissure sounds like it's still fresh (assuming it's not an old one that re-tore). You have a good chance of healing if that's the case. Use the ointment religiously, skip the hemorrhoid cream since it will reduce blood flow for healing, and keep your stress levels low. Easier said than done I know!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Re: AF back after years of only minor issues

Postby Bum_UK » 05 Apr 2017, 03:19

I suspect it's an old one that re-tore although I've had no issues at all since March 2014. I, guessing it has healed in the three, mostly, symptom free years. I had slight discomfort once or twice during BMs in 2015 and 2016 but that was it.

I'm off work due to work related stress. I have to go back and see the GP every two weeks to get signed off week again. That alone is stressful and the unwelcome return of the fissure isn't helping anything but I try to be as zen as possible. Try being the operative word here.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15